Does anyone use vitamins?

Hey guys!

I've been thinking of starting to use multivitamins not just for weight loss but for all around health. But, I found myself in Kroger yesterday not even knowing where to start!

I was wondering if anyone takes vitamins on a regular basis, what their experience is with them, and what kind would be the best?

Any help would be great!

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I just take women's One A Day
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Yes I take a multi fish oil magnesium zinc d
    All NOW foods brand
  • mjlfit83
    mjlfit83 Posts: 19 Member
    If you eat a well balanced diet with a variety of different vegetables and fruits, you rarely need any additional supplements.
    The exception would be if you are deficient in a particular vitamin or mineral, but your GP will be able to tell you that. Don't just assume or guess.
    Usually taking additional supplements merely gives you expensive urine, but too much of anything will become toxic.

Bottom line, only take what is missing from an otherwise healthy diet.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    I take a women's one a day and fish oil/
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    I take Vitamin D because I am deficient without it.
    My diet is inclusive of the rest.

No need to spend a pretty penny if you choose to take one. An all in one, one-a-day should be sufficient.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited June 2017
    I'm vitamin D deficient so I take 1,000 IU daily. I take a men's one a day to cover my bases.

I also take a magnesium supplement (Drs. Best) as it was recommended to me for a lot of cramping and whatnot after rides...seems to do the trick.
  • mjlfit83
    edited June 2017
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    I waste more money on Steam games I've never even installed.
    haha, same here!

To be fair, I myself take 6g of fish oil daily at the prescription of my GP.
    My point is simply pointing out that taking anything more than your body actually needs is metabolically wasted.
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    I take a generic multivitamin, prescription strength vitamin d (50000mg), magnesium, and calcium. Taking all these still leaves me deficient because I have absorption issues and if I don't take these I have serious issues. I get my bloodwork done every 6 months because of this, so I'm not sure if I count as I take vitamins for medical reasons?
  • Juniper210
    Juniper210 Posts: 77 Member
    I take a women's one a day Active. I mainly take it because it contains caffeine (I cut out the 3-4 energy drinks I was drinking every day) and because my iron has a tendency to be low. I figure if my body needs any of the other stuff in it, well that's a bonus.
  • mjlfit83
    erienneb66 wrote: »
    ... if I don't take these I have serious issues... I'm not sure if I count as I take vitamins for medical reasons?
    Pretty sure that counts.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    I take vitamin D (2000 IU) every day because I'm rarely in the sun. With a good, varied diet, other vitamins shouldn't be necessary for the average person.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Autumn336 wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I've been thinking of starting to use multivitamins not just for weight loss but for all around health. But, I found myself in Kroger yesterday not even knowing where to start!

I was wondering if anyone takes vitamins on a regular basis, what their experience is with them, and what kind would be the best?

Any help would be great!

multivitamins will do nothing for weight loss. it may help if you are low/deficient in something and will help if you dont eat enough foods that have certain vitamins and minerals in them, but it wont help with weight loss.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Juniper210 wrote: »
    I take a women's one a day Active. I mainly take it because it contains caffeine (I cut out the 3-4 energy drinks I was drinking every day) and because my iron has a tendency to be low. I figure if my body needs any of the other stuff in it, well that's a bonus.

Caffeine?! I need to get that one next
  • Juniper210

It's not a whole lot, about the same as a cup of coffee. I took them mainly to help stave off the side effects from caffeine withdrawal. It definitely did the trick.

https://www.oneaday.com/womens-active-metabolism
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member

It's not a whole lot, about the same as a cup of coffee. I took them mainly to help stave off the side effects from caffeine withdrawal. It definitely did the trick.

Taking caffeine to avoid caffeine withdrawal. Hmmmm....
    (said in a mostly joking tone.) =P
  • Juniper210
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

Taking caffeine to avoid caffeine withdrawal. Hmmmm....
    (said in a mostly joking tone.) =P

LOL Yeah it definitely sounds a little counter intuitive but I wasn't trying to quit caffeine necessarily, I was just trying to quit the minimum of 3 Rockstars I was having every single day. I'm happy with my one cup of coffee equivalent vitamin over the 720 mg of caffeine I was getting from my blue rockstars. My energy level skyrocketed after I quit. I think I was just going through a constant rush/crash cycle all day everyday.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    I have a B12 deficiency so I take that. I also take vit D in the winter because by winter solstice we only get about 5-6 hours of daylight.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Nearly everyone in the northern hemisphere is vitamin D deficient. I also suggest that women of childbearing age take Folic Acid to prevent a certain type of birth defect (the defect happens in the first few weeks of gestation, so taking a pregnancy vitamin after the fact won't prevent it).

A women's multivitamin would cover it.

A first-world problem is the multiplicity of options available to you. Don't miss the tree in the forest. Just pick one.

I do have known deficiencies so I pick up the vitamins I need wherever I see them on sale or in the discount aisle. I even bought a bottle of teen multivitamins because it had everything I needed including the Folic Acid. Plus they smelled fruity. It made me wonder what manufacturers think they know about their buying market.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I take a generic multivitamin (the gummies from Trader Joes), a B6+B12 chewable, and a calcium gummy. I'm supposed to take iron as well but I have yet to find an iron supplement that doesn't make me sick to my stomach, even if I take it with food.