How the heck do you eat 1600 calories a day??

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the whole thread. Just the last page. But can't help but think every time I see the title of this thread, "a day?, Heck that's just dinner!" YMMV :D
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    View my Food Diary and see just how tangible it is.
  • grimmc603
    grimmc603 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    xandra47 wrote: »
    Good lord some of these responses are rude! If you can't respond without being a callous jerk how about keeping quiet?

OP feel free to add me, my diary is open to friends. I'm on 1210 calories a day and some days its a struggle to hit that so I can totally relate. I'm really nervous about once I get to maintenance and have to up my calories, my little stomach is gonna pop!

The "rude" posters are usually the most helpful. It's just that they don't provide the answers that the OP wants.

I would disagree with everything you said. Considering I have no idea of what my "wants" really are except losing weight and getting healthy. I didn't expect such judgment by asking for help, but I'm not here to make friends. Someone wants to be rude, then so be it- just be helpful well being judgmental.
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Measuring food with a scale, like a couple people have already mentioned, will be really helpful. It's really hard to accurately track without using one, at least until you get used to seeing what portion sizes look like. I try to use my scale instead of measuring cups, too. I can pack a lot in a cup when I want to :)

A useful scale doesn't have to be expensive. I'd look for something digital that you can measure in ounces or grams, with a flat surface. Target and WalMart seem to always have something that fits the bill. Good luck to you!
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    UGH! I'm sorry! I thought I read the whole thread but I didn't. I missed pages, and I see now that you got a scale! Awesome!
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    MFP has set my Goal at 1390. I eat very close to it, but wish I could go a bit higher without gaining weight. Don't see 1600 as too high
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I think you have some great tips from people so far...use olive oil in cooking your dinner and cook more of whatever you eat during your large evening meal. Are you open to some quick to eat snacks during the day? If so, go with nuts, hard boiled egg, protein bars, fresh fruit, just a few off the top of my head. For some people, it is harder to eat enough food once they have their mind set on changing their lifestyle and losing weight. Like a light switch turns on and it's hard to actual eat (I don't have this problem, but can see how some do). Feel free to add me as a friend for support.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy food 1600/day and diary is open. Feel free to have a look.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Op, read everything in Kermit's voice and everything will be peachy keen. It's much better that way.

I'm glad you got that scale! Kudos!

Why did you do this to me? Now I can't unhear it. Every...post.... :D

Even yours. Dammit.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I like @grimmc603 's attitude. You'll be one of the rude truth-tellers soon.
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love cheese. Love love love it. Once I started weighing it I realized that what I thought was 1 oz was often 2 or even 3. That extra 250 calories right there is the difference for me between losing and not losing. Same with things like cashews. 9 calories each! and, have you ever really eaten just 1/2 cup of cooked pasta? Who does that?

So yeah, get with the scale and see how it goes. Its been eye opening for me.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1600 and love it. I quite easily hit my allowance, oats in the morning with whey protein powder and peanut butter is 400 cals on its own. I also always leave some calories to have a big bowl of greek yogurt/quark at the end of the day. Look for high calorie foods like nuts/nut butters etc if you're struggling.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    for me 1560 is fine... 5'10 M I have a small breakfast, lunch and good sized dinner. Just weigh the food and log.. easy peasy for mesy
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Ice cream.

I'm coming to your house. :smiley:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I say keep with your large meal in the evening, confirming it is as many calories as you think, and carry hiker's mix with you during the day. If you don't reach your target in the evening, have one ounce of hard cheese.