Body fat %: what is realistic maintenance?

Options
2»

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    OP - taking your post at face value... it sounds like you've made some good progress in recent years. I would continue on that path. Rather than drop weight/fat, I'd consider adding some additional muscle. With 10 more lbs of muscle on your frame, your 15% body fat will probably look very different. You could do that through bulk/cut cycles or a long, slow recomp... but in either case, the end result should be pretty similar.

Obviously it's all personal preference, so take this for what it's worth.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @loriflask are you ever going to come back to your thread? :smile:
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    @loriflask are you ever going to come back to your thread? :smile:

:lol:
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't trust the scales so I went to one of those places where they dunk you (Fitness Wave, for all the CA people). You also meet with a nutritionist to look over your results and to address any issues you may have. I was actually happy with my results and didn't ask too many questions but they seemed like they knew what they were doing, fairly educated, didn't try to sell me anything like shakes, powders, or vitamins. I don't know if that is something you could try.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    That bf% chart above has never been of any help to me. I'm a bit of that picture, and a bit of another one and maybe one part of me resembles yet another one.

Me, too, for sure!! And I agree the 30% woman in that chart looks great to me (and actually very similar to the 25% pic).
  • HanMW96
    HanMW96 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've spoken to PTs and doctors about body fat, and for a woman 20-33% is healthy, 18% at the least and only if you're fairly muscular. Most female athletes and personal trainers tend to aim for 18-22% which is super lean for a woman! My own body fat is about 16%, and I've been told mine is too low. I'm trying to increase it but it's hard when I'm so active
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    HanMW96 wrote: »
    I've spoken to PTs and doctors about body fat, and for a woman 20-33% is healthy, 18% at the least and only if you're fairly muscular. Most female athletes and personal trainers tend to aim for 18-22% which is super lean for a woman! My own body fat is about 16%, and I've been told mine is too low. I'm trying to increase it but it's hard when I'm so active

Who is telling you your body fat is too low and why? What are your "too low" symptoms? I have heard this before as well, but I know several very athletic women with good energy, regular periods, no signs of hormone imbalances that have low (sub 15%) body fat (hydrostatic tests) and they are fine.