I can't keep my calories low!

Options
2»

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    First, you are NOT that large. Who cares if your dad's girl friend is thinner than you? Sounds like she's a ***** anyway.

Second, stop trying for 1200 if it's too hard! If you set your MFP goal to 1lb per week, how many calories does that give you? Try it. 1200 is the bare minimum a woman should eat. Most women should NOT be trying to go that low. Plus, if it's hard, you won't stick with it.
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    I was eating a BUNCH of low cal things all day long....and recently changed to a little higher cal snacks that FILL me most of the day!
    Try nuts
    cottage cheese & fruit
    greek yogurt
    protein shakes/almond milk
    celery w/ natural peanut butter.
    ... i also changed up my breakfast- I have been doing Steel Cut Oats w/ a little honey a few chopped almonds and what ever fruit! YUMMY and FILLING!

Feel free to look at my food diary
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Friend me if ya like. Friends can see my diary.

I too thought "WHAT THE HECK??!?!?!!" when MFP gave me a goal of 1250 net cals per day. But I do it more often than not... and when I can tell that I won't make it... I work out (Zumba, walking) after work.

Also - you don't always have to meet that mark. If you are a little (read 100 or so cals) over - it is not the end of the world.

I should add that I am lazy - and I hate cooking - and yet, I have lost 21 pounds since I started on MFP...
  • PaulaAnn143
    Options
    Cant see your food log, so hard to give ya advice. Try doing more protiens they hold off hunger longer. What kind of exercise are you doing? You say alot but only want to keep calories at 1200. How much is alot of exercise? 1200 calories inst enough to keep hunger away when you exercise alot.
  • chubbyandawkward
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    I have low blood pressure and I suspect I might be hypoglycemic, I don't starve myself, I just go faint very easily :/
    I've just checked and my net for today is 987 even though I've eaten nearly 1900, but I don't like having my calories high because what if MFP is wrong and I haven't burned off what I thought I have? D:
    My net is usually around 1200-1500, but I've been at this for months and I haven't lost a pound so I'm clearly doing something wrong :(
    Thanks for all the support <3
  • mistyaiken
    mistyaiken Posts: 13
    Options
    my food diary might be weird to you since i dont eat meat, so mine stays really under the calorie line plus im working with my
    doctor to loose weight and am on a rx weight loss drug. he told me to get this book and read that would help me in finding the healthiest food choices. the name of the book is" skinny *****" by rory freeman and kim barnouin. you can find it in your local book store it's under $15 and its a awesome help in know what you should eat and give up and it explains what foods and drinks are bad for you
    and the ones that are good for you . after reading this book i have been a total vegan for 4 days :) but dont eat any white flour,white rice, white pasta,white refined sugar , ice cream,candy,candy bars coffee(reg or decaf) soda has boat loads of sugar in it and diet sodas make you fat .these have lots of bad cards and lots of sugar and will delay you in your weight loss effort. instead eat whole wheat pasta pasta brown ,rice pasta , veggie pasta, whole wheat and whole grain breads and whole wheat ceral, lots of fruit and veggies . feel free to look at my food diary for meal options. i hope this helps .
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely struggling to keep my calories below 1500 a day (my target it 1200), can anybody please give me advice?
    I NEED to lose weight for school in september, I just have to!
    I do lots of exercise so I get really hungry and faint but there's rarely anything suitable in the house so at the end of the day I end up having junk D:
    Can I look at other people's diaries?
    Any advice, tips or anecdotes will help me, don't be shy. Please help me!

If you're doing "lots of exercise" MFP should be adding those exercise calories on to your 1200. You should be eating those extra calories. What is MFP giving you for a goal each day after adding in your exercise? That is your actual goal. At 1500, you're probably eating the right amount, maybe even too little depending on your calorie burn.

ETA: I've recently started eating back almost all of my exercise calories (I was netting under 1200 regularly) and have broken a 3 week plateau. I gained a few pounds back at first but have lost 2.2 pounds in the last 2 days.
  • chubbyandawkward
    Options
    It varies because I don't have a set routine but today I've burned nearly 850 calories and I've eaten nearly 1900 but when I'd calmed down from my workout I felt awful. All faint and weak, so I went downstairs and all I could find was nutella and croissants :/
    My goal for today was about 2040 but I have a weight loss tumblr and everyone else eats between 1000-1200 AND they work out and I just feel like I'm eating too much >.>
  • Rae6503
    Options
    It varies because I don't have a set routine but today I've burned nearly 850 calories and I've eaten nearly 1900 but when I'd calmed down from my workout I felt awful. All faint and weak, so I went downstairs and all I could find was nutella and croissants :/
    My goal for today was about 2040 but I have a weight loss tumblr and everyone else eats between 1000-1200 AND they work out and I just feel like I'm eating too much >.>

What's a "weight loss tumblr"?

I eat OVER 2000 calories a day! I try to net 1700.
  • chubbyandawkward
    Options
    I'm not sure how to explain it but it's where lots of people blog about weight loss and we all support each other and stuff :-)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the people on that tumblr have disordered eating, if not an eating disorder. Don't go by what other people are doing.

If you're burning a lot and active, you SHOULD be eating more. I eat a lot. A LOT. And I'm way older than you and should have a slower metabolism. Remember, a car without fuel in the tank can only go downhill. If you feel faint, you're running on empty.
  • chubbyandawkward
    Options
    I've been thinking what you're all saying but if I'm eating enough then why haven't I lost any weight?
    I have a family history, on both sides, of thyroid problems. Do you think that might be a factor? or is that just an excuse? xD
  • Rae6503
    Options
    I've been thinking what you're all saying but if I'm eating enough then why haven't I lost any weight?
    I have a family history, on both sides, of thyroid problems. Do you think that might be a factor? or is that just an excuse? xD

We're not saying you are eating enough. We are saying your are NOT eating enough. Eat more.

Are you counting calories? If you could open your diary we could help more.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    I've tried losing weight on very reduced calories. I lose a lot more, and feel better while I'm doing it, eating more.

When I didn't know any better and was only eating 700-900 calories a day, thinking "the less you eat, the more you'll lose," at absolute MOST, I lost a half pound a week. Usually less.

Now, I'm pretty much in maintenance, but up until the past week or so, I was only trying to lose a half pound a week, eating about 1500 NET and averaging 1800 total, and ended up losing 4.5 pounds in a month. That's pretty much the same progress as I had at 1200 NET when I first joined the site!

This is the only time I've ever had a successful weight loss attempt. Every other time I tried to lose weight, I ended up not eating enough, felt like poop, and quit because I wasn't getting the results I wanted. This time, I've been eating pretty much what I want as long as it fit in the calories, and never felt hungry, weak or deprived. Because I previously wasn't eating enough.
  • chubbyandawkward
    Options
    My diary is open now :)
  • chassist23
    chassist23 Posts: 22
    Options
    When you restrict your calories and then start to eat junk food your body will cling on to that food because it may think it is starvation mode. Therefore if you are eating way below your Net but eating junk food your body won't loose the weight. You need to fuel your body and eat small meals all through out your day to keep your metabolism up. Fuel your body before work outs, eat something at least an 90 mins before so that way your body can digest it and fuel you for your workout. That should help with the faintness you are feeling. You need to also eat foods that are high in nutrients such as vegetables, fruits, beans, and lean protiens. The number one mistake a lot of people make is trying to NOT EAT when the best way to loose weight is by eating and eating correctly. Feel free to add me if you would like to look at my food diary. Good luck to you.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    Any particular reason you're not tracking your protein? It's pretty important. :smile: And I've found the more protein I ate, the better I felt and the more fat I lost. Track it and try to go way over each day. The default protein level on here is pretty low.