Gaining weight instead of loosing

Options
2»

Replies

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is one thing I will never understand. I do think though that if I have another gain this week I'll go back to slimming world. As I had constant losses following slimming world

You have to be willing to give MFP a chance or you will not succeed. This can take 4-6 weeks, Im not sure if this is the right suggestion for you, but weighing daily and tracking my weight in a weight trend app has helped me so much. I use Libra and I can see the fluctuation and I understand whats going on with my body. You yourself said slimming world was not a life style, but trying a new system can take time, you didnt actually gain 3 lbs of fat.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I have been following SW for 14 months and lost almost 5 stone I have been following for calorie counting and MFP for 3 weeks and in my first week lost 1.5 lbs second week lost 4lbs and when I weighed on Saturday I had gained 3lbs and I am so upset I don't understand how as I've eaten well within my calorie allowance everyday yes I've eaten out a few times but within my calories but this is why I switched over to cc in the first place because it fits more with my lifestyle well so I thought.
    Can anyone help me understand why I have gained 3lbs? I still have lots of weight to loose and I'd rather go back to sw and be unhappy then gain 3lbs a week

This morning I am up 2.7lbs from last week's weigh in where I was down over 2 lbs.

Last night I ate 1c cooked brown rice and some homemade chicken in smothered in Asian sauce (hellooo sodium!!)
    By Friday the water weight will be down and hopefully next Monday Ill have a loss.
    There will be fluctuations such as this. 3 weeks is nothing.

#1- The dinner was worth it
    #2- because i Know i didnt eat 9450 OVER maintenance to gain 2.7lbs of fat
    #3- because Ive been in a deficit every day.

You have to go -with - the - flow. :)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    clemteen wrote: »
    I'm new to this. I started last Monday and when I got on the scale thus morning I had a 2 lb weight gain. I swim 2-3 times a week and had been logging in everything I felt a little disappointed thus morning. I usually have coffee with 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream, 1 tbsp coconut oil and Stevie sometimes a pat of butter this is the 1 st thing I have in the morning. Later I might have 1-2 eggs and sausage cooked in olive oil. I eat my 2 to last meal around 4-5:30 after my swim. Can anyone help me out a little I won't to give MFP a chance.

Nothing wrong with a high fat diet... but you need olive oil to cook sausage? *edit* Ah, cook eggs in olive oil+sausage. Why not cook the sausage- then cook your eggs in the sausage fat?
    Anyway...*
    Enter your stats and goal in to MFP.
    Weigh and log all your food. No exceptions. No estimations. Get a food scale.
    Log your activity.
    Eat back 50% of your exercise calories.
    In 4 weeks re-evaluate or keep going.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Weightloss is one thing I will never understand. I do think though that if I have another gain this week I'll go back to slimming world. As I had constant losses following slimming world

What about it won't you understand? Your body burns calories, and you consume calories as fuel to feed your body. If, what you consume (CI) < what you burn (CO) then you will have weight loss. There will be fluctuations of course, it's not linear. Did you gain everything all at once? Probably not. It's not perfect, but if the overall trend is loss then you're on the right path.

It's not complicated, at a high level. Sure, there's granular details about exactly how the body burns energy but at a high level it's very straight forward (unless, of course, you're that special snowflake).
  • liannebaker17
    liannebaker17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ATM my calories burns are 680 so I have to eat under this to loose weight? That can't be right
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    ATM my calories burns are 680 so I have to eat under this to loose weight? That can't be right

No. The calorie goal you got when you put your stats in to MFP is to lose, before you do any exercise.

You can add exercise calories on top of that, so you eat more, although many people recommend only eating half as calorie burns are inflated.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options

No your overall calorie burn isn't just what you've burned through exercise. Take a look at this post, it explains how your calorie burn is determined. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Nope. You're forgetting you burn calories just being alive as well as when you do purposeful exercise.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Please read the stickies at the beginning of this forum. These will answer better than any of us can.

Edited: Here's the link for you: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

You didn't gain weight. Unless you ate 10,500 calories over the level you need to consume to maintain weight (you're currently eating at a deficit) in the last week, which is really unlikely.

OP, you might be better served by getting your own scale and weighing daily along with using a weight trending program like Happy Scale (iPhone) or Libra (Android). These programs use an algorithm to predict the overall trend of your weight, once you have a few weeks of daily data. You'll see how your weight fluctuates with food, hormones, exercise and not get freaked out over a few pounds of food and water in your system.

That being said. It's up to you. My biggest concern is that SW, from what I've heard from folks here, doesn't necessarily help you develop the habits to maintain your weight loss. But if you plan on doing it forever, it could work.

I eat whatever I want, within my calorie goal, and lost over 120 pounds. Weight loss doesn't result from the magic of omitting foods or food groups. It results from a calorie deficit. How you get there is up to you.

Good luck!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

@liannebaker17 680 is just what you burned through exercise, this is on top of your normal daily burn/living. Look up your BMR, there are loads of bmr calculators on the net, this number(calories) is what you'd burn parked on the couch or lying in bed all day. It takes a lot of work and therefore calories to keep your body running, heart beating, brain functioning etc etc

When you entered your details into MFP, the calories it gave you are what you need to eat to lose weight, you then eat 50-75 or 100% of your exercise calories back on top of mfp's calories, this part is trial and error. Some people can eat all of their exercise calories back, others need to tweak their numbers a bit.
  • liannebaker17
    liannebaker17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

@liannebaker17 680 is just what you burned through exercise, this is on top of your normal daily burn/living. Look up your BMR, there are loads of bmr calculators on the net, this number(calories) is what you'd burn parked on the couch or lying in bed all day. It takes a lot of work and therefore calories to keep your body running, heart beating, brain functioning etc etc

When you entered your details into MFP, the calories it gave you are what you need to eat to lose weight, you then eat 50-75 or 100% of your exercise calories back on top of mfp's calories, this part is trial and error. Some people can eat all of their exercise calories back, others need to tweak their numbers a bit.

Thank you that makes sense