Metabolic devestation

Options
Has anyone ever heard of this or have had to recover from this disorder? I have a history of anorexia and bulemia from when i was a child. However, i have been eating 1 meal, about 600 calories a day, for the last 2 decades. About 2 months ago i began eating 3 meals totalling 1200-1500 calories for the day due to the fact that my daughter was commenting on my eating habits. I work out about 6 days a/wk (mix of cardio and weights) I have now gained 5# and feel horrible and extremely frustrated. I don't want 2 go back to starving for the sake of my children, but i hate how i look and feel. Does anyone know with this type of disorder when your metabolism gets back into gear??? I have so many of the symptoms...ughhh! Any advice would be so great.

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    State your height and how much you weigh so you can get tailored answers. Even consider opening your diary. Did you just start working out? Could it be a gain of muscle? 1,200 to 1,500 is still very little calories since you exercise daily.
    What symptoms are you having? Tired ? Muscle fatigue? This place is a really bad idea for people with anorexia or bulimia. For that you need to "de-focus" from food.
    What are your weight goals? Your children don't care if mommy is 30 lbs overweight!!! Make sure you are not pregnant.
  • pigsmoo2
    pigsmoo2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7'' and now way 132#. I was attempting to go from my original weight of 128 to 124 (per baby size). I have wrked out all my life and have done just about everything from spinning to hiit. I don't think it is muscle gain cause my clothes feel worse. My sx include chronic fatigue, joint pain, mood swings, immediate weight gain with any minimal change in food habits, and inability 2 lose any weight with high levels of activity and caloric restriction.
  • pigsmoo2
    Options
    Weight 128. Even trouble with concentration....
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I think you need advice from a medical professional in this situation. I would advise booking an appointment sooner rather than later.
  • Gonadam93
    Gonadam93 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into your macros? Are you eating too much sugar and not enough of the good stuff? I agree with DX2JX2 though, a doctor would be the best person to see.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Don't get advice on this board. Get to a doctor and talk it out. IMO your issues go way beyond calories in/calories out and are likely more psychological than physical, especially if you have a history of eating disorders.

At 5'7" and 128 pounds you are a normal, healthy weight.

Totally agree! See a doctor who specializes in eating disorders. Your problems can not be solved on a weight loss board.

Seconded.

Good luck OP
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing - at least to the medical community. Your metabolism is incredibly stable.

Agree with the previous poster. Get off the internet and talk this through with a medical professional.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Visit your doctor. Rule out simple things like iron deficiency and b12 deficiency. They may also check your thyroid and D levels. You may read that this is anemia. Do NOT take iron supplement on your own without a doctors prescription. At most, just take a daily multivitamin.
    Could be a million things. I had similar and I had fibroids. Concentration and mood swings could be pre-menopause?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    First of all, well done for taking steps to get better!

Eating disorder recovery can be tricky, and you're going to need more support and specific medical advice than you can get on this kind of forum. Ultimately, strangers on the internet are likely not going to have the expertise that you need, and that can lead to them unintentionally giving you some bad or harmful advice. It's time to reach out to some medical professionals. If you're uneasy about starting the conversation, you could always print out this thread and bring it in to your appointment.

If you need help finding resources, here are some places to start:
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources
    http://screening.mentalhealthscreening.org/NEDA
  • pigsmoo2
    Options
    Thanks. I have been to the doctors a million times to r/o anemia, thyroid, and other medical dx b/c of the chronic fatigue. They always say i am stressed cause i have 3 kids.

Just tryin 2 eat right and set a good example for my kids. Next stop is the nutritionist.

Thnx 4 all the advice.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Truthfully... give it time. You literally doubled your calorie intake and it's going to take your body time to fully adjust to it (think 6 months to a year). That's not to say you'll keep gaining weight the whole time, but you did a number on your entire body eating just 600 cals for 2 decades. It will go through phases of water retention, a little fat gain and other symptoms while it tries to find a new, healthier balance. But it will find a new balance and you and your kids will be much better off for it in the long run.
  • pigsmoo2
    Options
    Thnx for the support.
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You are at a healthy weight--the lower end of the healthy range. You probably need to see a nutritionist to understand what a truly healthy diet is, because you probably dont really know. You may also want to see a therapist for ongoing support as you work through your recovery and to be able to have a healthier self image. The good news is that various medical studies of anorexia have demonstrated that the metabolism generally bounces back to 'healthy person' levels after a sustained period of adequate caloric intake.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    pigsmoo2 wrote: »
    Thanks. I have been to the doctors a million times to r/o anemia, thyroid, and other medical dx b/c of the chronic fatigue. They always say i am stressed cause i have 3 kids.

Just tryin 2 eat right and set a good example for my kids. Next stop is the nutritionist.

Thnx 4 all the advice.

Does this doctor know you are eating so little?

Please seek a registered dietician and a therapist who specializes in eating disorders.
  • pigsmoo2
    Options
    Yes, my dr knows my intake and of course why i have seen several psychologists over the yrs. i am a work in progress.

Glad 2 know about that study. Definitely getting in 2 c a nutritionist soon. I have no idea what 2 do with food.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am a recovered anorexic going on 8yrs. I starved for a decade...roughly 400 to 600 calories a day. Since recovering I have gained weight 3 times in my adulthood (my 3 pregnancies). I'm losing the last of it now eating a lot more than 1200 calories. I just wanted to add that my metabolism didn't suffer any lasting effects. I was told that the metabolism is pretty hardy. I say to give it more time. I'm not sure how much you are trying to lose, but I know sometimes I have to remind myself it's not about the number on the scale. My goal is my strength and how my clothes fit. If you feel like you're starting to focus too hard on a number it's time for a chat with your Dr. :)
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Glad you are seeing a nutritionist. That should be your priority A S A P. This is not a healthy way of thinking or living. Are you taking a multivitamin? You could be quite malnourished from a decade of eating so poorly. You're not eating enough to fuel your workouts or your body, and you could be doing serious harm. Putting on muscle you may gain weight but LOSE inches. Throw out your scale. If there is more food and more water in your body, you will weigh more. It's a measure of gravity, not progress, not what you look like, etc. cw4e2g6nb0lq.jpg

My friend gained 5 pounds between the picture on the left and the picture on the right=] Weight means nothing!