Metabolic devestation

Options
2»

Replies

• Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It takes 2500 extra calories to build a pound of muscle. By doing cardio and eating very little, your body will BREAK down muscle, NOT build it - hence why your clothes feel worse. Ever seen the kids with the giant stomachs in Africa? By starving their body began to break down their abdominal muscles to the point where they no longer hold in their organs. Muscle tightens everything up. If you want that, eat to perform, and STOP overtraining.

FWIW i recovered from an eating disorder by lifting heavy weights 3X a week, throwing out my scale, and eating to perform. My progress is now measured in my strength gains, not in how I look, but that is an added bonus. I cut at about 1800-1950 kcals, maintain at about 2200-2400 kcals. I only ever cut for 2 weeks at a time MAX. You don't want your body to adapt to eating so low. You have a lot of damage you need to focus on recovering from, and you can't do that while eating too little and working out too much. You're spinning in circles! Please give your body a chance to recover. See your therapist. See your nutritionist. And get back into fitness when you have the right goals and mindset for health.

You have made a great start by eating more. You can do this!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    It should be your best interest to meet with a professional. Registered Dietician and a therapist. Your eating issues are just beyond CICO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @pigsmoo2 Do you have and use a kitchen scale to weigh all your food? Do you accurately log your food?
    What is your activity level set at? Do you log such deliberate exercise as you do, accurately?
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @pigsmoo2 Do you have and use a kitchen scale to weigh all your food? Do you accurately log your food?
    What is your activity level set at? Do you log such deliberate exercise as you do, accurately?

No offense but, this person was eating 600 calories for a decade. I just don't think these type of questions are helpful to someone with an eating disorder.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    pigsmoo2 wrote: »
    Thanks. I have been to the doctors a million times to r/o anemia, thyroid, and other medical dx b/c of the chronic fatigue. They always say i am stressed cause i have 3 kids.

Just tryin 2 eat right and set a good example for my kids. Next stop is the nutritionist.

Thnx 4 all the advice.

I don't think people meant just medical advice, but for some mental health as well. You are at a healthy weight, have a history of eating disorders and are really unhappy with how you look. Huge red flag that you're headed back down an unhealthy path. Please ask your doctor for a referral to a psychologist or contact your old treatment team for help.

Good luck! Please take care of yourself!
  • pigsmoo2
    pigsmoo2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thnk 4 the support. It does help.
    No food scales 4 me. I know that wouldn't be good.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    pigsmoo2 wrote: »
    Yes, my dr knows my intake and of course why i have seen several psychologists over the yrs. i am a work in progress.

Glad 2 know about that study. Definitely getting in 2 c a nutritionist soon. I have no idea what 2 do with food.

Please go to a registered dietician and not a nutritionist. Vast difference between the two. :)
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Being in this place is not good for anyone with anorexic disorders. The goal is to un-focus from food. A scale would be a serious mistake.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    There is no such thing - at least to the medical community. Your metabolism is incredibly stable.

Agree with the previous poster. Get off the internet and talk this through with a medical professional.

That^^.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

No offense but, this person was eating 600 calories for a decade. I just don't think these type of questions are helpful to someone with an eating disorder.

They already stated that they would never use scales, so, I would bet that she has no idea how much she was really eating. I am unsure how long someone can remain in somewhat good health (clearly she was healthy enough to have periods and conceive a child) eating at 600 calories a day. Certainly not 2 decades. Doesn't make any sense.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

They already stated that they would never use scales, so, I would bet that she has no idea how much she was really eating. I am unsure how long someone can remain in somewhat good health (clearly she was healthy enough to have periods and conceive a child) eating at 600 calories a day. Certainly not 2 decades. Doesn't make any sense.

In another thread, with a different OP and a different set of circumstances, this point might be more relevant. If we're talking to someone who has admitted to a long-term eating disorder who is having trouble sticking to a calorie goal that is still too low, it might not be the best time to question her perception of the amount she's eating. Whether or not the OP was literally eating 600 calories a day, every day, for two decades, her relationship with food is certainly a problem. Perhaps it's a better idea to try to encourage her in getting better and adopting healthier approaches to food.