Is there an ultimate diet for health, energy and disease prevention?

Options
12346»

Replies

• FindingBecky
    FindingBecky Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    As the original poster, let me clarify, if I might. I'm not anxiously looking for ways to "prevent literally everything." I'm a basically content, peaceful, easygoing 62-year-old woman who feels grateful to have come through my cancer experiences relatively unscathed. I don't live in fear and anxiousness, but I am curious and open to firsthand experiences or arguments that anyone might have as far as advantages to a more limited type of diet. Chances are, I will stick with my balanced diet regardless, but having read so much contradictory information, I was wondering if there was anyone out there who truly believed that keto or veganism or some other dietary approach truly made a difference for them.

I actually agree with those who said that health comes down to far more than just diet, and that social support, intimate friendships, feeling valued, having purpose, clean air and water, plenty of exercise, and good genetics have an equal role, and that there is also a somewhat arbitrary "roll of the dice" factor as far as who gets cancer (as opposed to something like diabetes).

I don't want anyone to fight or take offense at ideas offered here. I just thought the ideas and experiences would be interesting to read. It's funny that almost no one has actually responded with experiences about following a particular diet. Perhaps they're afraid to.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    As the original poster, let me clarify, if I might. I'm not anxiously looking for ways to "prevent literally everything." I'm a basically content, peaceful, easygoing 62-year-old woman who feels grateful to have come through my cancer experiences relatively unscathed. I don't live in fear and anxiousness, but I am curious and open to firsthand experiences or arguments that anyone might have as far as advantages to a more limited type of diet. Chances are, I will stick with my balanced diet regardless, but having read so much contradictory information, I was wondering if there was anyone out there who truly believed that keto or veganism or some other dietary approach truly made a difference for them.

I actually agree with those who said that health comes down to far more than just diet, and that social support, intimate friendships, feeling valued, having purpose, clean air and water, plenty of exercise, and good genetics have an equal role, and that there is also a somewhat arbitrary "roll of the dice" factor as far as who gets cancer (as opposed to something like diabetes).

I don't want anyone to fight or take offense at ideas offered here. I just thought the ideas and experiences would be interesting to read. It's funny that almost no one has actually responded with experiences about following a particular diet. Perhaps they're afraid to.

keto can help those who have insulin resistance,pcos,type 2 diabetes and some seizure disorders to the point it can help them manage or reverse some of the symptoms of those things, weight loss can help too. can keto help with other health issues? sure its possible but its not going to cure anything or at least the studies are still out on that. being vegan may help with some of those things too but for some,too many carbs would not be good for their diabetes/IR,etc. some can eat higher carbs and some cant. its going to vary with each person.

for me I have a genetic condition called familial hypercholesterolemia and I cant do keto because of the high fat,my liver produces too much cholesterol and cant process cholesterol and fats like other people can so for me along with meds I have gotten the condition under control for now and my liver enzymes are now in the normal ranges as well. I wont be cured and can still have issues down the road,especially not watching my diet and getting enough exercise. But a balanced diet is a good idea regardless of what type of health issue you have, and if by doing that it improves health markers then that is a bonus.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Options

Well, the handful of members who have gone through similar experiences are saying the same thing; and while diet can improve your chances, it's not a big driver. The way you have to look at it is like this; what is the statistical correlation between eating a particular way and cancer (more specifically, what type of cancer?). A big problem is people say "xx" diet or "yy" diet is good for preventing cancer. But at best certain things can reduce the chances of getting certain types of cancer (i.e., sunblock can help prevent the chances of getting skin cancer).

What you can do is take the benefits of a variety of diets and apply them to yours (and this is what I tend to do). The biggest drivers in health: maintaining a good body weight and exercise 3+ days a week (combination of strength training and cardio to hit your skeletal and cardiovascular systems). Things that improve cholesterol and can reduce inflammation if you have any: plenty of fruits in veggies (fibrous, vitamin dense and loaded with phytonutrients), other foods high in fiber (including oatmeal/whole grains), foods high in MUFA/PUFA (fish, nuts, avocado, etc...), reduce added sugar, reduce SFA.

I personally work on including all of those aspects in my life. I do it because I recognize that each type of diet can have it's benefits. And no one particular diet is better than another. So instead of pigeon-holing myself to only diet, I try to get the benefits of a variety of diets.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    As far as the organic diet argument here, I've been eating organic for about 13 years (basically shortly after my son was born) and I'm not "opposed" to GMOs just because they are called "GMO", am not an anti-vaxxer, and understand that basically everything is comprised of chemicals to some degree. Not all people who eat organic think it's a magic pill for perfect health or have weird beliefs in everything holistic. I want to avoid hormones, dyes, and needless allergens. And I feel and function better eating Organic Foods. Unfortunately....there are some weirdos who think anything "natural" is good and anything "manufactured" is bad and make us all seem foolish. Organic foods ARE typically healthier overall than non-organic foods. That doesn't mean EVERY organic food is better or healthier. I don't see what the huge argument *against* organic eating could possibly be.

The issue is, it's not really true with a few rare exceptions. Some fruits have more phosphorous (which is good if you are in the rare minority that have that issues) and it would appear that chicken/pork have a higher omega 3 ratio. So if anything, I can see a benefit from sourcing those foods that are higher quality.

But you definitely seem to have your reasons to eat that way, which is good. It's the same reason I try to get higher quality meats.

When I say "healthier" I guess I'm operating under the assumption that most people don't find higher hormone content and antibiotics to be the healthier choice, when you can avoid/reduce them.

Jumping in, I'm not against organic -- I mostly get my meat from a local farm which I think is now organically certified, and in the summer I get a CSA from an organic farm and often buy from a farmer's market that is not all organic, but largely, and the exceptions are certified in similar ways (the "organic" certification has issues). On the other hand, when I buy at the supermarket to supplement or off season, I don't care if my produce is organic.

Hormones and antibiotics are animal specific things, so would seem to have nothing to do with produce. I am concerned with how I source meat, but my concern is specifically about diet and welfare, and for those things I don't think the organic certification is useful at all (I think for things like hormones and antibiotics you can search out things like hormone free which are different too). My main issue with organic is that people misunderstand what the label means.

So why do I buy organic so often? I like to support small local farms (and the issues with the meat I want to buy, as I noted), and being certified organic often is a way for those farms to market themselves, so although I don't care about the label I understand why they do and there's often overlap between the things I care about and the label -- but only when I also focus on local and small and knowing about the place I purchase from.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There are online health and diet services where you can submit Bloodwork and have a DNA analysis done (followed by resulting reports on what you may be at risk for, best diets, healthy weights, etc) but they're about $299.00 to start. But since it's unlikely that you could pay a reasonable fee to get personalized health and diet advice from your doctor or lab without paying the same (or worse)....maybe it would be something of interest for you.

and those tests arent 100% accurate many people have tried them and it said they werent at risk for certain things yet the health issues ran in their family and were genetic.

Yeah, you can't really learn much yet and for more serious things like Alz risk or Parkinson's or breast cancer, BAD to do it without a doctor. The stuff about diet and workout is basically useless at this point although potentially interesting if you are into DNA stuff.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Jumping in, I'm not against organic -- I mostly get my meat from a local farm which I think is now organically certified, and in the summer I get a CSA from an organic farm and often buy from a farmer's market that is not all organic, but largely, and the exceptions are certified in similar ways (the "organic" certification has issues). On the other hand, when I buy at the supermarket to supplement or off season, I don't care if my produce is organic.

Hormones and antibiotics are animal specific things, so would seem to have nothing to do with produce. I am concerned with how I source meat, but my concern is specifically about diet and welfare, and for those things I don't think the organic certification is useful at all (I think for things like hormones and antibiotics you can search out things like hormone free which are different too). My main issue with organic is that people misunderstand what the label means.

So why do I buy organic so often? I like to support small local farms (and the issues with the meat I want to buy, as I noted), and being certified organic often is a way for those farms to market themselves, so although I don't care about the label I understand why they do and there's often overlap between the things I care about and the label -- but only when I also focus on local and small and knowing about the place I purchase from.

This is pretty much my take on the "organic label". So many people blindly pay more just because something is stamped "organic". Sometimes it's better, sometimes it makes absolutely no difference. 'Organic' strawberries, for instance, are worth it (since this means the much better tasting local NY strawberries versus the California Driscoll's that have been bred for large size/high yield/transportation shelf life and taste awful in comparison. And I like supporting smaller local farms. Also, not an "organic" thing, but I also like to avoid buying Chinese, Vietnamese fish (their environmental regulations and enforcement of food regulations suck, so I don't trust that I'm not eating fish farmed in industrial sludge-and yes, I include "wild caught" in that).
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Cat3141 wrote: »
    There may or may not be a single "healthiest" diet, however you define healthiest. Regardless of whether such a diet exists, currently, there is no definitive scientific evidence to say what that diet might be.

The closest consensus came to "Eat less, mostly plants."

Was it Michael Pollan who said, "Eat food. Not to much. Mostly Plants"? I can't remember the source, but that was floating around quite a bit a few years ago.

Yes - that's it. Apologies for the paraphrasing. This came out of an international conference on nutritional recommendations and establishing policy a few years back.
  • Roxywings
    Roxywings Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been following a Whole30 diet for several months and it has kept up on a lot of its promises. It is certainly worth a look, it's not a pay-program and most if not all of their information is available on the website for free.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    In my personal humble opinion ... I think a diet is healthy as long as you incorporate plenty of vegetables and fruits, and other plant based foods. Even chips and cookies and things like that i believe are fine in moderation.
  • ouray12
    ouray12 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago, I had a double mastectomy with lymph node disection at MD Anderson in Houston. 16 years ago,
    I had my 3rd thyroid cancer surgery in the middle of my neck also at MDA. The medical oncologist told me last month the two biggest factors are refined sugar and genetics. She said their studies are showing refined sugar creates inflammation in the body, which allows a good growing environment for the cancer. But 2 cousins, my parents and a uncle all died from different types of cancer. Since I am the only breast cancer person in my family,
    insurance wouldn't pay the $3000 for the genetics testing, but MDA suggest using Colors Genomics. They said it has proved to be very accurate for $249. Now, it was also suggested to eat lean meat, lots of fruits & veggies & exercise.

Think it is all great advice, but I do think some people respond to different foods differently. Protein gives me energy, but hubby seems to run off of more veggies. Also, you have to find what works for you and don't just jump on the next great idea. Lots of good ideas here & worth the time to make minor adjustments to what you're already doing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    jsiricos wrote: »
    There is no "diet" that helps. You should know that. cancer doesn't care who it picks on, doesn't matter if you are fat, skinny, just right, cancer just does. not. care.

You can be living the healthiest lifestyle in the world, eating veggies, doing it "right" if you are going to get it, you'll get it.

Of course if you are reading this and you are under 26, and have not had a HPV vaccine, what are you waiting for? Get to the Dr and get it! Mine was caused by HPV, its the fastest growing strain, HPV positive. Go get the vaccine!

If I have scared some into doing it, GOOD, because I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

The HPV vaccine only covers a few strains that cause cancer. it doesnt cover all the strains that can cause cancer so you can still get one of the strains that causes cancer even with the vaccine, its called use condoms, protect yourself .some HPV strains cause no cancer and go away on their own . something like 75% of people in the world have HPV and dont know it and there is no test for it,except for maybe getting abnormal paps and them finding it that way.

if someone wants to get it that is their choice Im not knocking it at all

and scary to recommend a vaccine without dr approval. i have a friend whose daughter had the first injection (apparently you have to have a couple+, not just one) and she became very sick from it. i think a physician should be recommending this vaccine.

I don't see any issue recommending the vaccine. You have to get it from a healthcare professional, so I see no issue at all. The vaccine now covers more strains, and is effective against the strains which cause over 70 percent of cervical cancers. But I digress.

the gardasil site says 9 strains but the national cancer institute says there are only 2 type 16 and 18 that cause cancer. so why then is there a vaccine to cover 9 strains? there are more than 40 types though. I just find that odd that if only 2 strains are the main causes then why cover more strains? thats like the flu vaccine only covering 4 strains a year and they are all the previous years strains. but hey to each their own.

It makes sense to cover more strains because HPV, in itself, is not a fun, wonderful thing to have. Clearly, the cancer risk looms large as a reason to get the vaccine, since that's potentially deadly. But HPV is quite common, and really not all that desirable to have, or give to others.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    jsiricos wrote: »
    There is no "diet" that helps. You should know that. cancer doesn't care who it picks on, doesn't matter if you are fat, skinny, just right, cancer just does. not. care.

You can be living the healthiest lifestyle in the world, eating veggies, doing it "right" if you are going to get it, you'll get it.

Of course if you are reading this and you are under 26, and have not had a HPV vaccine, what are you waiting for? Get to the Dr and get it! Mine was caused by HPV, its the fastest growing strain, HPV positive. Go get the vaccine!

If I have scared some into doing it, GOOD, because I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

The HPV vaccine only covers a few strains that cause cancer. it doesnt cover all the strains that can cause cancer so you can still get one of the strains that causes cancer even with the vaccine, its called use condoms, protect yourself .some HPV strains cause no cancer and go away on their own . something like 75% of people in the world have HPV and dont know it and there is no test for it,except for maybe getting abnormal paps and them finding it that way.

if someone wants to get it that is their choice Im not knocking it at all

and scary to recommend a vaccine without dr approval. i have a friend whose daughter had the first injection (apparently you have to have a couple+, not just one) and she became very sick from it. i think a physician should be recommending this vaccine.

I don't see any issue recommending the vaccine. You have to get it from a healthcare professional, so I see no issue at all. The vaccine now covers more strains, and is effective against the strains which cause over 70 percent of cervical cancers. But I digress.

the gardasil site says 9 strains but the national cancer institute says there are only 2 type 16 and 18 that cause cancer. so why then is there a vaccine to cover 9 strains? there are more than 40 types though. I just find that odd that if only 2 strains are the main causes then why cover more strains? thats like the flu vaccine only covering 4 strains a year and they are all the previous years strains. but hey to each their own.

It makes sense to cover more strains because HPV, in itself, is not a fun, wonderful thing to have. Clearly, the cancer risk looms large as a reason to get the vaccine, since that's potentially deadly. But HPV is quite common, and really not all that desirable to have, or give to others.

true but thats why you protect yourself as well.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I'm a survivor of stage III breast cancer, for 17 years now.

I did quite a bit of reading at the time, and consulted with the dietician at my cancer center. Overall, I agree with what other survivors have said: A general healthy diet, with plenty of varied, colorful fruits & veggies, healthy fats, enough protein . . . that's the main thing.

There was some controversy about soy foods and estrogen-responsive tumors back when I was diagnosed, but more recent research seems to suggest that soy is fine in typical dietary amounts.

For breast cancer specifically, I've seen what I consider decent evidence that very regular moderate to vigorous exercise is helpful in minimizing recurrence risk, on the order of the generally-recommended 150 minutes spread across most days of a week. In some breast cancer subgroups, the risk-reduction benefit may equal or exceed the benefit of chemotherapy. (Note: I'm not suggesting skipping prescribed chemotherapy and substituting exercise. I'm suggesting both, where appropriate.)

I get this amount of exercise and more, but admit that it's less out of duty, and more because I find it fun and mood-improving, and I like feeling strong and fit, as well as liking the benefits strength/fitness bring to daily life. I hope it'll help me delay a permanent move to assisted living for a long time, too. (I'm 61.)

Lately, I've heard/read interviews with oncologists who say there are significant exercise benefits with other types of cancer, but I haven't seen that research.

I haven't seen strong research support for the full-bore "cancer thrives on sugar, so don't eat sugar" theory, but since I'm not a huge sugar consumer, I haven't delved deeply into it. What I have read seemed to suggest a more complex situation, with sugar important in some scenarios, fats in others, etc.

I've been vegetarian for decades, but since I got cancer anyway, I don't think there's anything magic about that. Unlike some, I believe you can shift your odds a bit via exercise and diet, but there are no guarantees, obviously.

ACA suggests being as slender as you can be, without being underweight, and I'm trying to strive for that.

I wish you strong recovery and robust good health!
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Been through cancer twice myself. Here's my plan:

1. Stay vigilant. Go to my check-ups with my oncologist. Pay attention to my body and make note of anything unexpected, especially any sudden or significant changes. Early detection is so, so, SO important to effective treatment!
    2. Stay healthy. Eat a balanced diet and pursue a fitness program that improves my strength, endurance, cardiovascular/respiratory health, flexibility, and coordination. However, this is not with any hope that it will prevent a recurrence, but rather with the knowledge that the healthier I am, the better I will be able to withstand the rigors of surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, or other treatments, should they be needed.
    3. Build a life that makes me love living it and excited about the possibilities and opportunities each new day brings. That way, should cancer raise its malicious, sneaky little head again, I will be only too eager to POUND ITS MOTHER-KITTENING HEAD INTO THE MOTHER-KITTENING GROUND! YOU THINK YOU WANT TO GO ANOTHER ROUND, BRO? ALREADY POUNDED YOU INTO THE PAVEMENT TWICE, PISHER, IMMA DRAG YOUR SORRY KITTEN THROUGH A MEAT GRINDER THIS TIME.

Coz I ain't gonna kitten around with that kitten. ^.^

I have chronic leukemia and am currently battling a secondary bone cancer and I agree with everything you said, especially the part about I'M GONNA SMASH THIS MOTHER-KITTENING SON OF A KITTEN INTO KITTENING SMITHEREENS!!! :-)