Is there an ultimate diet for health, energy and disease prevention?

Options

Replies

• kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different and not one thing will be the best diet for everyone. But I do like to watch health documentaries and I just watched a new one yesterday that talked a lot about cancer and diet. It's called "What the health" and is on Netflix. It was interesting.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    icemom011 wrote: »
    I'll put my two cents. . I think organic food as much as possible, no hormones, no antibiotics as much as possible. Leafy greens, variety of fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, avocado for healthy fats. Try to eat as little as possible things with preservatives, artificial colorings and ingredients. Drink teas, coffee, kombucha, milk, mineral water, plain water, avoid sodas and artificially flavored drinks. Eat everything in moderation, meaning from every food group, not excluding anything.

organic foods and vegetables are still treated with pesticides and what not...

most organic foods are just a ploy to get more money out of you...

That's not true. When something says organic it has to have something like 90-95% of product must be made with no synthetic additives (pesticides, dyes, chemical fertilizers and without genetic engineering) and the remaining percentage must be only used with things off of a certain list. It may be a ploy to get more money, but it does have more "value" in terms of what you are getting which is why it costs more.

I think you may be confusing it with "natural" which is more of a loose term.

wrong..they still use things like DDT on organic vegetables...see the study that @psuLemon posted

There are no matches for DDT in Lemon's link.

I use Bt in my garden, and the idea that it is comparable to DDT is ludicrous.

Also, DDT was banned for agricultural use in the US in 1972 so what are you even talking about?

I use Bt in my garden too, and i agree, how one can compare?
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, I totally agree with all the posters who are basically saying eat a varied and nutritious diet that keeps you at a healthy weight while still enjoying the heck out of food, and be as active as possible.

I'm also really fascinated by the "blue zones" (i got the book but haven't read it yet, but have read a lot online). Basically, these are local areas scattered all over the world, with an unusually high number of healthy and active centenarians. While I think what they REALLY have in common is active and social lifestyles, the majority of them have diets based around veggies, whole grains, fish, and legumes in differing percentages.

I suspect finding the healthiest diet is a personal journey that takes a lifetime, and that over-complicating it actually leads you in the wrong direction :wink: Congrats BTW!!!

Something else that has been found in the "blue zones" is good genes. That is something we do not have a choice about. Cancer results from a series of genetic mutations. Environmental impacts - radiation, exposure to carcinogens - play a part in causing these mutations in some cases. I agree with the others; a basic healthy diet is the best approach. Other than this, there is no "cancer diet" that will prevent or cure cancer.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'll put my two cents. . I think organic food as much as possible, no hormones, no antibiotics as much as possible. Leafy greens, variety of fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, avocado for healthy fats. Try to eat as little as possible things with preservatives, artificial colorings and ingredients. Drink teas, coffee, kombucha, milk, mineral water, plain water, avoid sodas and artificially flavored drinks. Eat everything in moderation, meaning from every food group, not excluding anything.

That's not true. When something says organic it has to have something like 90-95% of product must be made with no synthetic additives (pesticides, dyes, chemical fertilizers and without genetic engineering) and the remaining percentage must be only used with things off of a certain list. It may be a ploy to get more money, but it does have more "value" in terms of what you are getting which is why it costs more.

wrong..they still use things like DDT on organic vegetables...see the study that @psuLemon posted

Also, DDT was banned for agricultural use in the US in 1972 so what are you even talking about?

I was thinking the same thing haha
  • FindingBecky
    FindingBecky Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was a little nervous about posting this question on the board, but truly appreciative of all the well-thought-out comments, and find this discussion fascinating.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    My mom's best friend followed a strict belief in "homeopathic" remedies. She researched drugs and medical treatments constantly. She ate what she considered to be a healthy diet, and only organic foods. She was one of those that constantly posted articles about all the unhealthy bad stuff and dangerous meds. She was diagnosed with breast cancer a few years back, and had decided to forgo treatment due to all the "bad stuff" she read about it. Finally everyone talked sense into her and she had a mastectomy, and chemo. She was good for about 10 years, and then became very sick with something, no one knows what because she refused to see a dr. about it until it was too late to do anything. And even then, she refused diagnostic procedures, like x-rays. She died within a week of being admitted to the hospital.

I don't think there is any such thing as a diet that prevents disease.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

correction - they use pesticides in organic farming, and in some instances they have found remnants of DDT on said farms that are growing organic...

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Which is unfortunate, because it could have completely eliminated malaria carrying mosquitos worldwide.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    i have recently been Dx with two types of arthritis as well as some other issues, some autoimmune, and others related to my thyroid, etc. i am seeing a fantastic dr right now, he is new to me, but so far has been wonderful with treatment plans that i can live with. he treats each patient differently, even if they have the same Dx. anyway, he just recommended a very-low carb diet for me, and i haven't started yet. i have done one in the past, and it is very difficult for me to stick with. i am weak! LOL July 1st i am going to start doing everything he recommends and see how much improvement i see. i also have diagnosed celiac (so do all 3 of my children) so this is all news to us and we are learning as we go. i wish you well no matter what you choose. my cousin and his wife are vegan and love it, they seem to be very healthy. :smile:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Although there is no one diet that is perfect for everyone in every condition, we can work toward having healthier diets for ourselves by using good, science-based information. My favorite source for healthy eating advice is https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/ -- it's from the Harvard School of Public Health, is designed for consumers, and is updated based on best science. In particular, consider their Healthy Eating Plate: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The ACA guidance is good, based in science, and for the most part common sense. They are aligned with the Harvard guidance in the above post.

There are certain cancers which diet/exercise are risk factors, and some which are not.

https://www.cancer.org/healthy/eat-healthy-get-active/acs-guidelines-nutrition-physical-activity-cancer-prevention/summary.html
    https://www.cancer.org/healthy/eat-healthy-get-active/acs-guidelines-nutrition-physical-activity-cancer-prevention/guidelines.html
  • markswife1992
    edited June 2017
    Options
    double post sorry

• markswife1992
    Options
    jsiricos wrote: »
    There is no "diet" that helps. You should know that. cancer doesn't care who it picks on, doesn't matter if you are fat, skinny, just right, cancer just does. not. care.

You can be living the healthiest lifestyle in the world, eating veggies, doing it "right" if you are going to get it, you'll get it.

Of course if you are reading this and you are under 26, and have not had a HPV vaccine, what are you waiting for? Get to the Dr and get it! Mine was caused by HPV, its the fastest growing strain, HPV positive. Go get the vaccine!

If I have scared some into doing it, GOOD, because I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

The HPV vaccine only covers a few strains that cause cancer. it doesnt cover all the strains that can cause cancer so you can still get one of the strains that causes cancer even with the vaccine, its called use condoms, protect yourself .some HPV strains cause no cancer and go away on their own . something like 75% of people in the world have HPV and dont know it and there is no test for it,except for maybe getting abnormal paps and them finding it that way.

if someone wants to get it that is their choice Im not knocking it at all

and scary to recommend a vaccine without dr approval. i have a friend whose daughter had the first injection (apparently you have to have a couple+, not just one) and she became very sick from it. i think a physician should be recommending this vaccine.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    jsiricos wrote: »
    There is no "diet" that helps. You should know that. cancer doesn't care who it picks on, doesn't matter if you are fat, skinny, just right, cancer just does. not. care.

You can be living the healthiest lifestyle in the world, eating veggies, doing it "right" if you are going to get it, you'll get it.

Of course if you are reading this and you are under 26, and have not had a HPV vaccine, what are you waiting for? Get to the Dr and get it! Mine was caused by HPV, its the fastest growing strain, HPV positive. Go get the vaccine!

If I have scared some into doing it, GOOD, because I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

The HPV vaccine only covers a few strains that cause cancer. it doesnt cover all the strains that can cause cancer so you can still get one of the strains that causes cancer even with the vaccine, its called use condoms, protect yourself .some HPV strains cause no cancer and go away on their own . something like 75% of people in the world have HPV and dont know it and there is no test for it,except for maybe getting abnormal paps and them finding it that way.

if someone wants to get it that is their choice Im not knocking it at all

and scary to recommend a vaccine without dr approval. i have a friend whose daughter had the first injection (apparently you have to have a couple+, not just one) and she became very sick from it. i think a physician should be recommending this vaccine.

yeah a lot of girls had some serious side effects from it. but thats a risk with all vaccines
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

They can still use natural pesticides for organic and even so. But if you consider the latest and largest meta-analysis on organic done by Stanford, it doesn't appear to really have any benefit in terms of health when it comes to consuming it. If you like it for taste or whatever, it might be a different story. But I believe taste is more influenced by where it's grown and the soil from there, as compared to something being organic or not.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2012/09/little-evidence-of-health-benefits-from-organic-foods-study-finds.html

Exactly! Like grapes for wine. Soil and climate greatly influence how the grapes taste.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    HooYah! fellow survivor.

There is no such thing as a cancer reducing diet unless you were previously snacking on radiated waste. This is largely genetics at play. Be happy we live in a time where treatment is available and detection is increasing.

As many others have stated, a well balanced diet high in fiber is sufficient. Stay active, manage your stress well, and implement purposeful exercise. That's about all you can do.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't think you can go wrong with mostly whole foods, lean meats, fresh veggies and fruits, grains, good quality fats from nuts, seeds and cold pressed oils and the occasional nutritionally sketchy addition. I wouldn't complicate it too much, I think common sense would be enough here