Is there anyone who didn't take the easy way out?

Replies

• SnackHips
    SnackHips Posts: 90 Member
    SnackHips wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm getting it because I cant stick to a deficit for the life of me. I literally have mental breakdowns and have to go on medication when I'm losing weight and the medicine just causes me to gain. I've worked with doctors and nutritionists as well as personal trainers. I've trained and ran half marathons, lifted weights, been involved in multiple sports, cut out processed food, ate this not that, this often that often. Call me stupid or lazy but I've busted butt and gone through tons of emotions without any success. Surgery is a tool to help me with these issues and it is the last hope I have.

if you cant stick to a deficit then you wont lose the weight. I have a neighbor who had WLS and she is gaining the weight back because she is not sticking to a deficit.

It is more of my body maintaining really well. At 120lbs I weighed 120lbs no matter what I did. Then I was on medication and put on 40lbs in two months. Now I'm 160 no matter what I do. If I can get help to get past the maintenance level I can maintain at a new level, but every time I get the first 10lbs off no matter how slowly, it shoots back up in a couple days because my body is determined to maintain. It is part physical part mental, but I'd rather go this route for the assistance than a bunch of pills.

weight fluctuates so you dont have just one weight number. and medications dont make you gain weight,they increase appetite and you eat more or they lower your TDEE/metabolism a bit therefore you need to eat less. if it shoots back up in a couple of days its a fluctuation unless you are eating 3500+ calories over your TDEE those couple of days to gain it back.

This is 3 months to lose 10lbs and one week to gain it. The stuff I was on did both of those things sadly. And as a side note: there are 350lb people with habits far worse than mine and they lose the weight and keep it off with surgery. I have no disillusion about the valuable tool it will be and how to incorporate it into a healthy lifestyle. It will essentially prevent me from binging 3 months of work off before I can reach a healthy weight to maintain. I will still be eating healthy food and working out daily.

you dont gain it all back in a week unless you are severely overeating and in that case you would weigh more than you do if that was happening. as for it preventing you from binging,you cant say that or rely on that.and eating healthy and exercise doesnt guarantee weight loss unless you are in a deficit. not to mention once you have the surgery you will have issues with absorbing certain vitamins and minerals and will have to take supplements most likely the rest of your life.

Most supplement issues are for bypass not sleeve. It is literally 10lbs of fat in a week. Something gets triggered and my body overproduces hunger hormone and I can't stop eating for days. I've tried fighting it with "will power" and it is much like a heroin addict being tied up next to a pile of the drug. Physical pain and shaking, anxiety, depression, etc. And I'm not talking about oh I deprived myself of so much and I can't take it anymore. I eat balanced meals at appropriate intervals and practice moderation. I go for months with my "healthy lifestyle" then have these breakdowns out of the blue. I don't need to fight like this anymore. And in response to the other person I get that medication does pack on secret magical weight. It does however slow metabolism and increase hunger and couple with pills that relax anxiety enough to make you just happy and not stressed about the struggle anymore those pounds can creep up fast. I'm super happy that people get past this without surgery but I have fought unsuccessfully for years now. Call it dumb, call it lazy, but life is short and I have money and doctors so I'm going to use every tool available to me to figure this out.

I don't understand how you think surgery is going to solve these problems though? It won't solve your anxiety, your hunger, your binge eating tendencies, won't negate the need for the medication that you are taking. All it does is get you back to the same point you started at before you gained this weight, so why do you believe you won't be right back here in the short, medium, or long term?

My depression and anxiety is managed. I get symptoms beyond control when I lose weight and the hormones kick in. Counseling and medication have brought me as far as they can. I need physical intervention. It sounds lame I know. I'm reasonably intelligent and very determined and I can't get past the limitations regardless. I know how it appears to someone on the outside with only a few paragraphs of information but everyone close to me family friends doctors counselors trainers etc... Understands. If you had five tools to get healthy and you only used three you would be foolish. I could go into theories about why some people struggle like this and never succeed but I can only speak from my own experience.

This is a serious question. If your hormones kick in beyond your control when you lose weight, how is this going to change when you have WLS? Because you will be trying to lose 40lbs. Do the doctors think these hormones are going to kick in again, or will the surgery stop that from triggering?

From how they have explained it, they basically remove most of the part of the stomach that triggers the hormone production. Some studies suggest it turns on and off different genetics as well but I don't know much about how that really works.

I have never, ever heard that before.

You haven't looked it up then.

Well no. Because I don't plan to get WLS. I'm still skeptical.

I don't blame you. Haha
  • SnackHips
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of having a new weight loss surgery. I want to have my index finger removed so I can't call Domino's. :/

I eat better than many of the professionals I have worked with. Believe it or not you can stay over weight on healthy food. I have maintained for weeks because I had a couple extra bites of almonds and baked chicken. I use a small plate and it is mostly vegetables. I only drink water or black coffee. I don't eat out or order in. I walk, run, lift heavy, swim, bike, kickbox, and do Brazilian jujitsu. I do appreciate the words of caution from everyone on here. But I've weighed my options and done what I can.

How will WLS help this? Genuine question - if you're only eating small amounts of low calorie foods and not losing weight, how will WLS change that?

It will help me fight past the times I over eat the low calorie stuff. It is basically a tool to help me keep healthy habits.
  • Ejcejcejc
    Ejcejcejc Posts: 26 Member
    I just finished losing 150 lbs on Ideal Protein, a moderate ketogenic diet. Total game changer for me. From what I can tell, WLS forces the diet changes just after surgery or you get sick. I changed my diet and felt great in ketosis for 10 months. I think it is just a matter of choosing when you want to change your diet. To each their own.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    I'm getting it because I cant stick to a deficit for the life of me. I literally have mental breakdowns and have to go on medication when I'm losing weight and the medicine just causes me to gain. I've worked with doctors and nutritionists as well as personal trainers. I've trained and ran half marathons, lifted weights, been involved in multiple sports, cut out processed food, ate this not that, this often that often. Call me stupid or lazy but I've busted butt and gone through tons of emotions without any success. Surgery is a tool to help me with these issues and it is the last hope I have.

if you cant stick to a deficit then you wont lose the weight. I have a neighbor who had WLS and she is gaining the weight back because she is not sticking to a deficit.

It is more of my body maintaining really well. At 120lbs I weighed 120lbs no matter what I did. Then I was on medication and put on 40lbs in two months. Now I'm 160 no matter what I do. If I can get help to get past the maintenance level I can maintain at a new level, but every time I get the first 10lbs off no matter how slowly, it shoots back up in a couple days because my body is determined to maintain. It is part physical part mental, but I'd rather go this route for the assistance than a bunch of pills.

weight fluctuates so you dont have just one weight number. and medications dont make you gain weight,they increase appetite and you eat more or they lower your TDEE/metabolism a bit therefore you need to eat less. if it shoots back up in a couple of days its a fluctuation unless you are eating 3500+ calories over your TDEE those couple of days to gain it back.

This is 3 months to lose 10lbs and one week to gain it. The stuff I was on did both of those things sadly. And as a side note: there are 350lb people with habits far worse than mine and they lose the weight and keep it off with surgery. I have no disillusion about the valuable tool it will be and how to incorporate it into a healthy lifestyle. It will essentially prevent me from binging 3 months of work off before I can reach a healthy weight to maintain. I will still be eating healthy food and working out daily.

I would hope no surgeon would agree to this procedure for someone wanting to lose and maintain a 10lbs loss.

yeah none of this even makes any sense. There are criteria to be met before anyone is approved for wls and weighing 160 with a bmi of 30 doesn't seem like it would fall into an approval category.
  • SnackHips

I would hope no surgeon would agree to this procedure for someone wanting to lose and maintain a 10lbs loss.

yeah none of this even makes any sense. There are criteria to be met before anyone is approved for wls and weighing 160 with a bmi of 30 doesn't seem like it would fall into an approval category.

30 bmi is the criteria actually. 35 bmi with co-morbid conditions for partial insurance coverage. 40 bmi for typical insurance coverage.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    I know 2 people who have had WLS. The first had a bipass and she died from complications. The second had a lap band and he had no change in weight at all because he didn't change his diet, he just ate tiny bits all day.
    It's not an easy way out. It also doesn't work if you don't do what everyone else does to lose weight.
  • SnackHips
    ck2d wrote: »
    I know 2 people who have had WLS. The first had a bipass and she died from complications. The second had a lap band and he had no change in weight at all because he didn't change his diet, he just ate tiny bits all day.
    It's not an easy way out. It also doesn't work if you don't do what everyone else does to lose weight.

That is so sad she died. It is definitely risky especially for people who wait too long...meaning the older and more over weight the riskier. Lap band is quickly being phased out. Many people fail with it. If I wanted to eat junk and not work out I would just do that instead of driving myself insane trying to be healthy lol. I work with a lap band guy who has gained half of the weight back. He eats donuts every morning at roll call and people look at me like I will probably join him because I'm fat. For the record I tend to eat a hard boiled egg and nectarine for breakfast. At my worst I'm a fruit addict lol.
  • SnackHips
    Ejcejcejc wrote: »
    I just finished losing 150 lbs on Ideal Protein, a moderate ketogenic diet. Total game changer for me. From what I can tell, WLS forces the diet changes just after surgery or you get sick. I changed my diet and felt great in ketosis for 10 months. I think it is just a matter of choosing when you want to change your diet. To each their own.

I've tried that :( I've spent years trying every method. I guess I suck. Lol honestly I'm legitimately happy for people that can make it work. When I was 140lbs I asked my husband to shoot me if I gained more. I was that upset and determined....but 20lbs later he hasn't put me out to pasture and I haven't been able to think my way past this. Sigh.
  • Tugsandpull
    Tugsandpull Posts: 40 Member
    edited June 2017
    I had wls and like the original poster its only a tool get your facts straight so you don't sound like a looser
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    Why is this in the motivation and support section? - cant see how OP was trying to motivate or support anyone.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Why is this in the motivation and support section? - cant see how OP was trying to motivate or support anyone.

Well, the "I'm better for putting in the work while others lazily choose the easy way out" can be pretty motivating. Temporarily and for the wrong reasons, but motivating nonetheless.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    well, yes, motivating himself perhaps by put downs of others.

Not sure that is what this section is suppossed to be about though :o
  • TheChanelista
    TheChanelista Posts: 7 Member
    Easy way out? Try having cancer TWICE ending with your thyroid being removed and no metabolic function. I'm happy to be alive, trust me- but going from a size 10 to 24 in 18months after treatments, operations etc...The gastric bypass saves lives. Stop judging.

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited June 2017
    I find this post to be rude and judgmental.

How about minding your own *kitten* business and get on with your own fitness plan?

In response to original post.
  • MJ2victory
    MJ2victory Posts: 97 Member
    WLS isn't for me but just coming here to be another voice saying it's definitely not the easy way at all.
  • xmusicloverr
    xmusicloverr Posts: 100 Member
    Lol. This was not a good post to make.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I love that OP was so motivated they never even bothered to come back.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    I'm not sure surgery is the easy way...never had it but from what I hear everyone is different.

My advice to you is to start learning about who you are and not everyone else.

I found myself going from sahm semi-active at 354lbs to a gym junkie who loves it. For me, I wasn't ready to consider surgery as I knew I had it in me but I just had to give myself a quick kick in the rear and get moving. Once I started realizing my actual food consumption, sweet and salt, I was shocked. 8 months later and 90 lbs down, still have 90 to go and I'm not looking back.

I eat mostly right (enjoy life still), drink a lot of water, sleep well, and exercise a ton. I'm off high blood pressure meds which I've taken for years and several other meds. My lungs are strong, my heart is strong.

This was the choice for me. Absolutely it has taken dedication but I think all paths do. I wish you the best in success. For me it is a battle of a mind game. I'm finally winning! Good luck!
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member

Me too. I am exactly the same way.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    tapwaters wrote: »
    I lost a whole me with hard work and perseverance. Losing is easy. Maintenance is hard.

Losing weight is not easy. For me it is harder than anything I have ever done. Maintaining is easier for me because I don't have to live with a calorie deficit. I am awful at that and hate feeling hungry.