The Official Millennial (Generation Y) Thread

DasItMan91
DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
Hi everybody, I'm starting this thread so everybody is a Millennial can join in and talk to each other about anything involving their childhood and what it was like growing up in the 80s, 90s, 2000s etc. This is a thread to talk about and reminiscent about things we experienced when we were all kids like Cartoon Network, Disney, Nickelodeon, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, school, playing with your friends outside, waking up Saturday mornings to watch cartoons, the type of toys you used to play with, Nintendo 64, PS1, Gameboy, Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, 9/11, Doritos 3Ds, Rugrats, Ed, Edd and Eddy, Pokemon and etc. Older and younger generations are welcome too. I don't think there's another thread like this so let's have a good discussion.

Replies

• DasItMan91
    You're just here for your trophy.

And what trophy that might be?
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Damn...
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    I'm a millennial--an older millennial. But like everyone else, I'm entitled, and I can create my own identity, and darn it, I am whatever I say I am.
    So I identify as Gen X. Don't question it. I do what I want.
  • DasItMan91
    I loved nearly all this! A few girly things to add. Sailor Moon, Care Bears, Trolls, Skip its.

Also Are you Afraid of the Dark definitely needs to be on here!

Remember Gundam? That was the sht back then.
  • DasItMan91
    BDonjon wrote: »
    I'm a millennial--an older millennial. But like everyone else, I'm entitled, and I can create my own identity, and darn it, I am whatever I say I am.
    So I identify as Gen X. Don't question it. I do what I want.

Old man....
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    cee134 wrote: »
    Had to look this one up because I thought Millennials was a term for people born in the late 90's early 2000's.

Millennial is an identity given to a broadly and vaguely defined group of people. There are two wings of "Millennial" that are often at odds with each other: Generation Y (people born between 1981-1991) and Generation Z (born between 1991-2001). People of Generation Y often have characteristics similar to Generation X, which is why Generation Z will confuse Generation Y with Generation X and then claim to be the generation that represents "MIllennial," when in fact, birth years for Millennial range from about 1981-2001, just as the birth-years for Baby Boomers ranged from 1946-1964.

Both Generation Y and Generation Z can be called "Millennials," with the primary difference between the two being technology. Generation Y grew-up on personal computers, cell phones, and video game systems, while Generation Z has grown up on tablets, smartphones, and apps. Yet, the common ground between both generations is that both have been transforming and altering communication and identity--not just in the United States but globally.

It is a pretty broad range term. I was born in the late 80s and feel like I have little in common with someone born in the late 90s-2000.
  • DasItMan91
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    I wonder if I should start an official Gen X thread. You spring chickens can't hang. :wink:

Go for it
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Had to look this one up because I thought Millennials was a term for people born in the late 90's early 2000's.

Millennial is an identity given to a broadly and vaguely defined group of people. There are two wings of "Millennial" that are often at odds with each other: Generation Y (people born between 1981-1991) and Generation Z (born between 1991-2001). People of Generation Y often have characteristics similar to Generation X, which is why Generation Z will confuse Generation Y with Generation X and then claim to be the generation that represents "MIllennial," when in fact, birth years for Millennial range from about 1981-2001, just as the birth-years for Baby Boomers ranged from 1946-1964.

Both Generation Y and Generation Z can be called "Millennials," with the primary difference between the two being technology. Generation Y grew-up on personal computers, cell phones, and video game systems, while Generation Z has grown up on tablets, smartphones, and apps. Yet, the common ground between both generations is that both have been transforming and altering communication and identity--not just in the United States but globally.

I'm too old to be in the thread. Born in 78. I must be a tail end Gen X'er.
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member

I'm too old to be in the thread. Born in 78. I must be a tail end Gen X'er.

Same here. I was born in 79.
  • LaPrincipessaFedele
    LaPrincipessaFedele Posts: 483 Member
    Born in 1984 -- I'm so not ashamed to be a millennial :)
  • DasItMan91
    Anyone remember this

bondi-blue-imac_0.jpeg?itok=uczgONul

I used to use these alot when I was in elementary school.
  • LaPrincipessaFedele
    DasItMan91 wrote: »
    Anyone remember this

bondi-blue-imac_0.jpeg?itok=uczgONul

I used to use these alot when I was in elementary school.

I remember when Hansel threw an orange one on the ground in Zoolander :lol:
  • LaPrincipessaFedele
    DasItMan91 wrote: »
    You're just here for your trophy.

And what trophy that might be?

The "I showed up so give me an award" trophy.

Old, tired tropes are old and tired.
  • PL4TNM
    PL4TNM Posts: 85 Member
    rtmxacnz6jja.jpg

I had one of these so my friend and I could both talk at the same time to dudes..lol!!