Gluten Free diet

Options
abungay
abungay Posts: 85 Member
Hi all, I am new to the gluten free world. My doctor finally admitted that I have a gluten sensitivity, and have to continue to stay away from gluten free food. Anyone have any tips to help make this transition a little less overwhelming?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It can feel like a loss. But look at it as an opportunity to explore all the other foods out there, and to cook more from scratch. There's only gluten in wheat - probably one of the staples in your diet, but there are so many other foods - rye and barley, and you're most likely not eating lots of those anyway. Unless you are celiac, you shouldn't have to go to extreme measaures to avoid gluten (contaminations). "Gluten free" products are usually bad tasting and expensive, so I would just avoid those.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I went gf five years ago because of a sensitivity as well. It truly is overwhelming. Gluten seems to be in every damn thing you find in the grocery store – – even things that are not overly processed. Here are a few suggestions I would make:
    Understand that depending on how sensitive you are, or how sensitive you continue to become, you need to be very wary about eating out, eating at potlucks, eating at other peoples houses. Just keep your eyes open for how you react after you eat in these places. I've had to quit eating at potlucks because even when people have the best of intentions, they don't actually make things gluten-free, or they use gluten contaminated cutting boards knives containers when they process and serve the foods.
    Consider making some changes in your kitchen. At a minimum, get rid of your old cutting board and get a new one. That is probably the worst place to get yourself contaminated. Then, consider replacing some of your cookware. Or, at least scrub the crap out of it with scotch bright and Bon Ami to remove any remaining gluten cooked on to the pots and pans.
    If gas and the trots are part of your reaction, be cautious about the ingredients in gluten free foods you buy already made. A lot of the gums that are used can give you those responses. I have had to give up The few premade gluten-free things that I was buying like occasional bread and mixes because xanthan gum does not agree with me anymore.
    Get some good cookbooks and blogs on your radar. And be sure they are recent. There have been a lot of jumps forward in how we make gluten-free food at home that of been very helpful. The older cookbooks were great in their time, but the newer ones are much better. There are a couple I have found most excellent. Whole Life Nutrition and the cookbooks of Ali Segersten and Tom Malterre come out of Tom's profound celiac disease and the dietary challenges of several of their children. Tom has a masters in nutrition and advises people with all sorts of their own dietary challenges. Ali has a degree in nutrition and writes their cookbooks and teaches classes. Her piecrust recipe is the best one I have run across yet.
    My very favorite advocates for great GF foods are Gluten Free Girl and the Chef--Shawna and Daniel Ahern. Shawna is profoundly celiac and Daniel is a professional chef. Together they have created amazing cookbooks, and Shawna has written an amazing blog. They focus on really good food, and their baked goods recipes are weight-based rather than measurement based like professional bakers do, and they come out so darn good! Their bread recipes and biscuit recipe are a couple of my favorites. They have suggestions for making your own gluten-free baking mixes, and they use psyllium husks instead of gums to make their baked goods hold together. Their last two cookbooks are real winners.
    Both of these people's blogs and cookbooks are filled with good information about avoiding gluten in various things you buy, but also be sure to check out the celiac disease foundation website. They have lots of good background information and direct you to all sorts of great information that is legitimate.
    Start reading labels. As you have already discovered, gluten lurks in even the most innocent looking foods. Don't beat up on yourself when you make a mistake. You will do it often! Also be cautious about labels of products that claim they are gluten-free unless they are certified by the celiac foundation. Tragically, many things labeled gluten-free really aren't. I love the gluten-free stuff at Trader Joe's, but a lot of it has been tested out to be contaminated. But, try those things out and see how they affect you. Sometimes a sensitivity still allow you to eat these things. I do great with their little premade square pizza flatbreads- – great little pizzas on the grill! – – But not with some of their other gluten-free products.
    And finally, keep your mind open to incredibly odd ball sources of contamination. I was getting glutened this last year and couldn't figure out what was happening. Then I realized that in the morning, while my coffee was perking, I would go and let my chickens out and throw them a little bit of scratch. I finally figured out that the scratch had wheat in it, and I was coming in and making my breakfast with contaminated hands. Oy.
    Hang in there. You will get it. And you will find satisfaction in what you can do to keep yourself healthy and eating good foods. Blessings.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for a little over a year, and it is hard. ALWAYS READ THE LABELS!!! Not just the ingredient list but also the allergen warnings. Do not rush when going to the store like I did Monday and bought almonds prepossessed on machinery that also processes wheat how dumb am I? Check and double check and never get to comfortable because those labels can change. Meat, vegetables and fruits are always a good choice but some of the cheaper meats (store brands or frozen) will be injected with broth and will make you sick (Looking at you Walmart).
    Always be prepared when going out have snacks in your bag, pack a lunch etc. People do have the best intentions when they know you are gluten free but unless their kitchen is 100% GF there is a chance of cross contamination. I had a big blow out with my mother because I finally told her I will bring my own food to family gatherings because the risk is to high I can't afford to be sick for two weeks after only being clear for two or three days.
    Also give yourself time to heal. Try to stay away from the GF foods until you start to feel better. I guess eat "clean"
    So prepare and do your research. Celiac.com has a lot of good information and Gluten Dude is my favorite blog.
    Good Luck! If you would like to friend me I can answer questions you may have.
  • abungay
    abungay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I will look into these resourses tonight. I officially went gluten free two weeks ago. My boyfriend and I went to the mall to do some summer shopping and I had to bring my own lunch which sucked but I didn't get sick which allowed me to stay shopping.

I am really craving chicken nuggets today and I think I will try to make my own, which will be healthier than store bought processed ones anyway.
  • kavahni
    Options
    Totally awesome chicken nugget recipe in one of the Gluten Free Girl cookbooks!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I actually successfully made gluten free wonton wrappers the other week, and made my gluten free friend her first dumplings in over 2 years. I was really pleased with how they turned out. I'll look up the recipe if anyone's keen.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Apple gate has some pretty good gf chicken nuggets and chicken fingers.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, Rice, Tapioca, Corn, Soy, Beans, Sorghum.,Quinoa, Millet, Buckwheat groats (also known as kasha)
    Arrowroot, Amaranth, Teff, Flax, Chia, Yucca, Nut flours
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/tag/gluten-free/
    http://thebigmansworld.com/2015/11/27/4-ingredient-flourless-sweet-potato-brownies-paleo-vegan-gluten-free/
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Glutenfreeonashoestring.com is my go-to for GF baking. My daughter and husband have Celiac, so I cook GF most of the time.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't eat wheat, it gives me migraines, but I'm not impacted by the cross contamination of things touching or things being processed in the same factory usually, so for me I don't have to be crazy strict.

Be aware of sauces (like soy or cheese especially) and soups as they frequently have wheat as a filler ingredient or thickening agent. Always read the labels and look for the allergy warnings.

I love Udi's bread and Tinkyada rice pastas. I make my cheesecake crust with almond flour instead of graham cracker - creates an amazing toasted nut flavor. Crunchmaster chips. Tate cookies - just watch the label, not all of them are gluten free, but the gf ginger zingers are fantastic. Horizon mac & cheese, but they also make organic, so watch the labels. Buckwheat and rice noodles can be found in the asian section of the grocery even if they don't have a gluten free section. A lot of restaurants are starting to carry gluten free stuff too - Olive Garden, Carabas, and Noodles & Co all have really yummy gf pasta.

I avoid Annie's gluten-free stuff because it give me migraines, not sure if it is just too cross contaminated for me to tolerate or if there is another ingredient that is a trigger.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Glutenfreeonashoestring.com is my go-to for GF baking. My daughter and husband have Celiac, so I cook GF most of the time.

This.

It's only as overwhelming as you let it be, but it does take a bit longer to read every ingredient list at the grocery store. Tonight I am going to make a cake for work tomorrow and maybe a Yorkshire pudding while I have the oven on.
  • newlark01
    newlark01 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Are you diagnosed celiac (i.e. allergic) or intolerant (e.g. IBS type symptoms)? I only ask because after celiac was ruled out for me and I saw a dietician for IBS, I realised it was probably the fructans in the wheat rather than the gluten itself causing symptoms and am doing much better on a low FODMAP plan - you follow an elimination diet initially then test different groups of foods to determine individual tolerance levels - worth looking into if going gluten-free doesn't resolve your symptoms.
  • m1ss_danni
    m1ss_danni Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My bf is celiac and after witnessing him in a lot of pain and very ill after accidentally having gluten Iv gone gf also. I don't want to be cooking different things all the time, plus I feel bad eating stuff like pizza in front of him.
    Anything with labels on usually has gluten in. It's not as bad to go without as you think.
    I just googled lots and found sites that have massive lists of foods to eat.
    Plus side is I'm never bloated anymore and Iv lost weight and I wasn't the one with celiac!
  • Cecily55
    Cecily55 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am celiac so I'm absolutely gluten free, but I am also on a low FODMAP diet.

Gluten free: (1) I found that I need to stay away from the cheaper gf products, but Three Bakers has a very tasty bread - pricy but worth having a loaf in the freezer. Rice noodles make good spaghetti, but make your own sauce. (3) Beware "mixed" spices - some have a tad of fine grain wheat to keep the spices from sticking together. Use the individual spices instead. (4) Tofu, corn starch, and "Thickit " (available at a health supply store), work great to make liquids creamy or thicker. (5) Watch out for soaps, shampoo, and makeup - gluten is a common ingredients and enuf Tobe a problem for people with celiac.

Learn to cook tofu. Press the water out and then you can marinate in anything (that's gf). I like to BBQ tofu marinated in fresh OJ and pineapple juice. My carnivorous husband keeps stealing mine so I always make a double recipe.

Miso soup is also tasty and quick for breakfast. I cook the tofu, celery, mushrooms, and other goodies the night before; in the morning I add red miso paste to boiling water, add the goodies from the night before,and I'm out the door. I found all the ingredients at Albertsons, but an Asian market is cheaper. There is instant miso but I think it's disgusting.
  • jcummings6
    jcummings6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I could chat with you all day about gluten free ideas. I have a wheat allergy and have been eating primarily gluten free for over 7 years now. I've tried just about ever brand on the market, some taste like cardboard and other brands are amazing. Where do you live? I'm in the US. I don't buy a lot of processed foods anymore though, I make a lot of things from scratch instead, just because I found that gluten free is not lower in calorie at all.

My 2 year old son has been getting a rash on his face so we've cut wheat out of his diet now too and for some reason it seems challenging all over again. Lol

I have an awesome chicken nugget recipe I can share with you. It's basically egg whites, ground chicken, sweet potato and parmesan cheese. I'm going to send you a friend request and maybe we can swap recipes.

Another thing we do often is make spaghetti and meatballs but instead of pasta we use spaghetti squash.
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am two weeks into a gluten free diet as well! Turns out I am intolerant, I have had horrible headaches and IBS for a couple of years now that I knew could maybe be because of gluten but was too stubborn to give it up. I was feeling so awful a few weeks ago I decided to try cutting it and low and behold I have been feeling so much better since. I am almost two weeks free of stomach and headaches and I have so much more energy. I really like rice crackers for a snack, you get that crunchy sensation without the wheat. Also I like doing lettuce wraps instead of sandwiches. Get some romaine and your favorite sandwich filling and go at it. We made BLTA's that way the other night and they were so good, just fold it up like a taco and nibble away. Breakfast is the hardest for me because English muffins were always my go to, I tried the Udi's bagels but belch, they are so hard and bland. I have a recipe for a zucchini banana muffin I am going to try out using Almond and Coconut flour, hopefully they will be moist, not hard as rocks, LOL.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Also be aware that in the US at least barley and rye are not considered common allergens and often won't be listed specifically in the ingredients list. If it doesn't say gluten free on the package even if the ingredients appear gf I will usually go to the manufacturer's website and they will usually say if the food is gf. I find barley extract for flavoring in meats is one of the main issues for me.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    To add onto the conversation, has anyone been absolutely shocked to find gluten in something they weren't expecting to find gluten in? For example, I had no idea that the pre-made spice flavor packages (I.E. McCormick fajita seasoning) would have gluten until I happened to see a spice flavor package in the gluten free aisle at the grocery store with big bold "gluten free fajita seasoning" written on the packaging!

Another example of a place I wasn't expecting to find gluten was in imitation crab meat. I just happened to give the ingredient list a glance and was shocked to see wheat flour on the list.

Anyone else have any surprises to share? As someone only a year or so into this lifestyle, I find that I still have reactions sometimes and cannot target the culprit.
  • EJBarner
    EJBarner Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The oddest glutening my partner's ever had was a cup os raspberry tea... with barley in it. We figured we must have messedup something in the dinner, and almost didn't think to check the tea! Sneaky.
  • kavahni
    Options
    Sofchak: sushi, sushi, sushi.