Why sedentary?

Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Personal preference.

This. I have a fairly active job that sometimes gets me 15,000+ steps. I'd rather set myself to lightly active to give me a larger base and smaller adjustment than sedentary would give.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    How come if I set to sedentary fitbit gives me more negative calories than at lightly active?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    holderh1 wrote: »
    I have an hr charge Fitbit. I am lightly active when I am not working out or walking for excercise. On a day that I'm not working out I may get 3,000-7,000 steps. If I'm excercising I may have 10,000-14,000 steps. I see that many people set their activity level to sedentary even when they are not. Is this just a personal preference or is their a benefit to weight loss doing this?

IF using a Fitbit/connected to MFP: it does not really matter a Fitbit communicates your true activity level to MFP.

But in general, I think people are afraid of over estimating and thus eating too much. If you say you are lightly active and you are actually sedentary: you're not burning as much as MFP assumes.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    How come if I set to sedentary fitbit gives me more negative calories than at lightly active?

It should not. Not possible mathematically actually - so something else is going on.

How many workouts are you manually logging on MFP?
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My activity levels vary wildly by day - weekdays I usually hit 12-15k, closer to 20k if I do an exercise class or two.

On weekends I can easily get under 1000 steps if I'm having a really lazy day (often feels necessary after a full on week).

Setting to sedantary gives me a nice healthy bank of exercise calories to use over the whole week and a lazy day doesn't end up reducing my calorie pool - psychologically that works best for me.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use sedentary because MFP's calorie allowance isn't enough for me as very active. So I let Fitbit work out my exercise calories instead & eat them back.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

So SCREW THE FITBITS! - well for me anyway.

I had the same experience and came to the same conclusion. Fitbit gave too many calories for incidental daily steps. Estimates for walks and runs we're in line with others, but you can use any number of phone apps just as easily.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have an hr charge Fitbit. I am lightly active when I am not working out or walking for excercise. On a day that I'm not working out I may get 3,000-7,000 steps. If I'm excercising I may have 10,000-14,000 steps. I see that many people set their activity level to sedentary even when they are not. Is this just a personal preference or is their a benefit to weight loss doing this?

Because most of us have desk jobs. We don't have a higher activity level unless we actively go out and do something (which will vary, and can be logged separately, and potentially might not happen at all).
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

It should not. Not possible mathematically actually - so something else is going on.

None..if I get over 10,000 steps I'm getting about 300-400 extra at mildly active at sendetary I get like 600-700 extra at the same steps
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options

None..if I get over 10,000 steps I'm getting about 300-400 extra at mildly active at sendetary I get like 600-700 extra at the same steps
    You are getting more **positive/additional** calories at Sedentary than at Mildly Active. Which is the way it should be.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to "sedentary" because I drive a mouse for a living. I've often logged multiple hours of cardio, but that is not of day-to-day consistency. Rather than tring to figure out how much less to eat when I don't exercise, I just figure out how much more to eat when I do. It's more fun that way.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Rather than tring to figure out how much less to eat when I don't exercise, I just figure out how much more to eat when I do. It's more fun that way.

I concur :smiley:

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I set mine to sedentary because my activity level varies. Most days I do over 12000 steps but because of medical problems some days it will be under 3000.

Do you set it this way just because you don't want to see negative adjustments?

No I do it this way because sometimes I have a day or week when I get appropriately 3000 steps. I let my Garmin adjust for my activity. If my activity level was more consistent I would adjust it to that level.
  • WyldHaggis
    WyldHaggis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I set mine as sedentary because I know I can't log accurately, so this hopefully compensates a little. I only log the exercise for which I go out of my way, like going for a run.
    Also because, to be honest, walking 5 mins from home to Tube station then from station to work doesn't register as 'lightly active' to me (or it would only if I was bed-ridden).
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who set my diary to sedentary and then let my fitbit adjust as the day goes on. But... I have a desk job.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I work from home. On the sofa. Often, in bed. I average 2000 steps, but my record low day was 75 steps. I'm sedentary.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Those aren't negative calories, those are positive adjustments - you do more you burn more you eat more.
    If MFP already expected you to do more, the adjustment isn't as high.
    That's exactly as it should be.

Are you trying to describe something else perchance, or just got the terms wrong?
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Because some days I may only have 3,000 steps while other days I have 12,000. It's so much easier to set it as sedentary and then get positive adjustment calories on higher activity days than bouncing around with positive and negative calories.

I'm also still trying to work out how accurate my Fitbit calorie burn is for me. This is most easily done when you start off at a base setting (at least for me).