Hunger pangs

Options
So I am about two weeks into my fresh start. I have been doing fairly well staying on track but the last couple days, I am having hunger pangs and am finding it hard to resist grabbing something from the vending machine. I keep fruit and yogurt in the fridge at work but I swear the vending machine is calling me. I could use some tips to get past this.

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Start leaving any cash at home. If the vending machine takes credit cards, only take the cc when you need it. For now, please grab your yogurt.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Maybe find some foods that are more filling and satisfying to you. Yogurt makes me so hungry. I had to stop having it for a snack.
  • knempress
    knempress Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Snacks with protein help me out. Nuts and cottage cheese are two of my go-tos.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Bring salad and raw veggies.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting 2 days per week. Some days are particularly tough. I know I won't of hunger though and the hunger pangs will go away, eventually. After a few weeks it settled down, thank goodness.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    OP, how big is your daily deficit (after exercise) and how much do you have to lose?
  • PaulaTinker
    PaulaTinker Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I tried a couple of your tips today. I put all my change into my piggy bank at home so I didn't have change for the vending machine. I took baby carrots to snack on in lieu of yogurt. All in all, I did a little better today. I am going to pick up some nuts on my next grocery run and give them a shot too.

Ahoy, by daily deficit, I assume you mean how many calories I have left at the end of the day. I looked and it is usually between 450-600. I have about 85 pounds to lose.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond.
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Protein is crazy filling:)
  • x_desertcolt_x
    x_desertcolt_x Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    beef jerkey might help, protein will help keep you feeling less hungry
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I tried a couple of your tips today. I put all my change into my piggy bank at home so I didn't have change for the vending machine. I took baby carrots to snack on in lieu of yogurt. All in all, I did a little better today. I am going to pick up some nuts on my next grocery run and give them a shot too.

Ahoy, by daily deficit, I assume you mean how many calories I have left at the end of the day. I looked and it is usually between 450-600. I have about 85 pounds to lose.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond.

Do you mean you have 450-600 calories left over from the target MFP gave you? How many actual calories are you eating? Just curious, because it sounds like you might be undereating which would explain the hunger.
  • EloquentSelfLoathing
    EloquentSelfLoathing Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try black coffee - it suppresses appetite. Water also works if you drink enough.
  • kincharles
    kincharles Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try black coffee - it suppresses appetite. Water also works if you drink enough.

All I drink is black coffee and, for me, it doesn't really supress anything :) - in fact sometimes it makes me want to snack on something.

@OP - There are hunger pangs and there are cravings; they are 2 different 'fish'. Cravings (which it sounds to me like what you are having) can be staved off by suggestions already given, hunger pangs are much more evident and tend to mean you are eating far too little (I speak from experience, though maybe I define hunger pangs differently since, at one point, I was barely eating enough to survive - where I would get pangs so intense I would feel nauseated (usually from smelling food) [long story, not an ED just hard times]) and tend to make you feel weak/out of sorts (again, that is my experience - maybe I have a different definition of what hunger pangs are).
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

No, no, no. At the end of day you're supposed to have 0 calories left. Myfitnesspal have already taken care of the deficit when you set your weekly loss goal. If you have 600 calories left, no wonder you have hunger pangs. You're starving.

Please clarify - how many calories has mfp given you to eat, how many lbs per week have you set your goals at, how many calories are you eating per day?
  • PaulaTinker
    PaulaTinker Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My goal calories are 2180 and I have been eating between 1600-2000, couple days a bit less.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My goal calories are 2180 and I have been eating between 1600-2000, couple days a bit less.

You're hungry because you are eating so far under your goal. Your goal already puts you at a deficit (if you told MFP you want to lose weight). You can eat your goal calories, it will make this process a lot easier.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options

You're hungry because you are eating so far under your goal. Your goal already puts you at a deficit (if you told MFP you want to lose weight). You can eat your goal calories, it will make this process a lot easier.

I agree with this, and would add that you may want to keep healthy alternatives available when the cravings come on... for me it was carrot sticks and dip, raisins, and almonds.

• trixsey1
    trixsey1 Posts: 236 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've set my MFP to 1200 a day and I usually eat just over 1000 calories which I've been doing for over a week now, and lost 2 lbs.

I jog each morning too so it frees up a few hundred extra calories according to the MFP which I don't use anyway (I don't eat more food I mean).

If you eat foods that contain fibre and protein they will fill you up more.
    I do get a little hungry towards the evening, but I have enough calories left over to snack on some almonds or a piece of fruit and that is satisfying enough.

I don't have breakfast, just fresh pineapple juice to start my day, then I'll have a high fibre dinner and high protein tea.

Perhaps the reason you are hungry is because you are eating "empty" calories (calories derived from food containing little or no nutrients). Try changing your diet and see if that helps.

I've tried 1000 calorie diet before, but it wasn't enough to sustain me and like a lady said above you get weak, lethargic and nauseated, those extra 200 calories to play with seem to be fine so far and I'm not feeling much "hunger pangs".

If I've worked out for longer I get hungrier, I burnt over 1000 calories one day last week and I did need the extra fuel and went over the 1200 to 1500, but the MFP gave me extra calories to use anyway, so I didn't feel like I failed my total intake for that day - I haven't gone over 1200 since then and average around 1100 calories each day depending on my meals.

133723164.png
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Protein is crazy filling:)

For some..........

Protein, fiber, and fat are the usual suspects....but it's an individual thing. Fat free protein isn't filling to me.

OP - your daily calorie goal is something to MEET. Your deficit is already built in, you shouldn't have several hundred calories left (unless you logged exercise calories....those can be inflated). If you chose 1 pound a week....your deficit is 500 calories. That's the number Ahoy was looking for.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    trixsey1 wrote: »
    I've set my MFP to 1200 a day and I usually eat just over 1000 calories which I've been doing for over a week now, and lost 2 lbs.

I jog each morning too so it frees up a few hundred extra calories according to the MFP which I don't use anyway (I don't eat more food I mean).

If you eat foods that contain fibre and protein they will fill you up more.
    I do get a little hungry towards the evening, but I have enough calories left over to snack on some almonds or a piece of fruit and that is satisfying enough.

I don't have breakfast, just fresh pineapple juice to start my day, then I'll have a high fibre dinner and high protein tea.

Perhaps the reason you are hungry is because you are eating "empty" calories (calories derived from food containing little or no nutrients). Try changing your diet and see if that helps.

I've tried 1000 calorie diet before, but it wasn't enough to sustain me and like a lady said above you get weak, lethargic and nauseated, those extra 200 calories to play with seem to be fine so far and I'm not feeling much "hunger pangs".

If I've worked out for longer I get hungrier, I burnt over 1000 calories one day last week and I did need the extra fuel and went over the 1200 to 1500, but the MFP gave me extra calories to use anyway, so I didn't feel like I failed my total intake for that day - I haven't gone over 1200 since then and average around 1100 calories each day depending on my meals.

133723164.png

Ugh, this is horrible advice. Lean muscle loss.....no thanks.

MFP is designed for you to eat exercise calories back (you earned them). By increasing the deficit (through exercise) you very likely increase your lean muscle loss. Many more people would rather lower their body fat %, than just lower the number on the scale.