I have 150 lbs to lose.

I feel really intimidated really,
I have always struggled with my weight, I'm not sugar coating it I have no self control and I've ruined my body, coming in at around 315 lbs.
It's an awful circle of wanting to fix yourself but not knowing where to start, I tried loving the body I have but I make myself feel physically sick.

I hate how whiny this sounds but what I'm really trying to ask is how do you do it. Not small amounts of weight loss, I'm talking to the other real big people out there.

Can we help one and other?

Replies

• Kathleen_Presnell
    Kathleen_Presnell Posts: 38 Member
    I'm 256 pounds...need to lose 150 myself. You are not alone. I just came back to do this right! Cut out your carbs, cut off all white stuff, flour, sugar and pasta. I'm on day 11 now. I feel better already. I hate what my body looks like but I know that I am beautiful and will be gorgeous in the end!!!! Add me as a friend. Walk this journey together. Start off by using this app every day. Document everything. Learn about portion control. Plan your meals. Don't worry about exercising in the beginning till you get off of sugar. Don't buy crap. Buy veggies, eat eggs, check out my meals I eat. I'm not perfect but I am trying and getting better each day. Don't skip meals. Eat cheese, protein and weight your food. Eat lots of veggies and salads. No purchased dressing. Drink water. I'm bad about that one! Don't blame yourself anymore. Today is a new day. You can do this. We can do this.

Don't be afraid. If you mess up...stop yourself and start over. Each day is new. Document your bad stuff too and don't continue. You will feel like *kitten* when you get off of sugar...I did. I got headaches. After 10 days I started to feel better. Check out materials on Somersize diet or South Beach Diet. I'm doing South Beach Diet.

We can do this....go to the library and check out the book or go online and read what they say about the South Beach Diet plan. Diets work if you stick with them.

Kathleen Presnell
    Young Adult Librarian
    who loves food, cooking and now being healthy is my goal!

• Kyraoko123
    Kyraoko123 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2017
    Hello, I am 280lb with 130lbs to lose. I had 2 kids in my early 40s and I would like to still be around for a while but my test results for all the things that go wrong when you are overweight aren't great. Not terrible but certainly not great.

My doctor wants me to do gastric surgery and I am terrified of the concept. This is my last chance to avoid it. I always start out strong but fall apart as time passes. I hope to stick it out this time.

I would be happy to try to do this with you.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    I have 100 pounds to lose (I'm down 20, so now it is more like 80). I have to say I disagree with the post above that you have to radically cut things from your diet. I eat pretty much whatever I want within the calorie goals I have that day. You have to find what works for you. Some people are able to completely eliminate certain food groups from their life and be fine, I did the low carb thing and lasted approximately 2 months before going completely insane and eating every carb I could get my hands on. The big key for me was understanding this is going to be a long journey with bumps along the way. I don't get crazy with exercise either. I go for a 1/2 hour walk every day and if I can fit more exercise in then I do. If you are a very disciplined person, then maybe a really strict diet and intense workout program is for you. I work full time, go to school and have a family to take care of, so I am just trying to cut my calories and get some exercise and "un-eat" this elephant one bite at a time.
  • calderoakmikel1
    calderoakmikel1 Posts: 12 Member
    Hello Everyone, I am at 229, I need to get down to 175. I can totally identify with you Sian, I tried to love the body that I have and it only did more harm than good. I gain more weight instead of losing it. I think is normal to be afraid. I am afraid that I am going to start this again, like I had so many times before and I am going to give up. The thing is that there is no right way to get this right, we all have our struggles and we all will get to our goal as long as we keep trying. Is not failure as long as you keep trying.
  • Siansiansiansian
    Siansiansiansian Posts: 10 Member
    I've lost exactly this amount, it takes a ton of will power and focus. It always feels impossible but the reality of it is, it's not. If you want it, you can do it. It just takes time, my advice would be to jump right in, the best time to start is anytime. You can do it!

That's insane, you look incredible.
    I hope you are super proud of yourself.
    I took you advice and started instantly and I'm already down 5lbs. n_n
  • Siansiansiansian
    I'm 256 pounds...need to lose 150 myself. You are not alone. I just came back to do this right! Cut out your carbs, cut off all white stuff, flour, sugar and pasta. I'm on day 11 now. I feel better already. I hate what my body looks like but I know that I am beautiful and will be gorgeous in the end!!!! Add me as a friend. Walk this journey together. Start off by using this app every day. Document everything. Learn about portion control. Plan your meals. Don't worry about exercising in the beginning till you get off of sugar. Don't buy crap. Buy veggies, eat eggs, check out my meals I eat. I'm not perfect but I am trying and getting better each day. Don't skip meals. Eat cheese, protein and weight your food. Eat lots of veggies and salads. No purchased dressing. Drink water. I'm bad about that one! Don't blame yourself anymore. Today is a new day. You can do this. We can do this.

Don't be afraid. If you mess up...stop yourself and start over. Each day is new. Document your bad stuff too and don't continue. You will feel like *kitten* when you get off of sugar...I did. I got headaches. After 10 days I started to feel better. Check out materials on Somersize diet or South Beach Diet. I'm doing South Beach Diet.

We can do this....go to the library and check out the book or go online and read what they say about the South Beach Diet plan. Diets work if you stick with them.

Kathleen Presnell
    Young Adult Librarian
    who loves food, cooking and now being healthy is my goal!

I don't like the idea of cutting out certain food completely as I think it would drive me over the edge and back on to bad habits.
    I'd love to see your journey with this choice and life style so I have added you if that is okay :)
  • Siansiansiansian
    Kyraoko123 wrote: »
    Hello, I am 280lb with 130lbs to lose. I had 2 kids in my early 40s and I would like to still be around for a while but my test results for all the things that go wrong when you are overweight aren't great. Not terrible but certainly not great.

My doctor wants me to do gastric surgery and I am terrified of the concept. This is my last chance to avoid it. I always start out strong but fall apart as time passes. I hope to stick it out this time.

I would be happy to try to do this with you.

It sounds like you have a strong amount of will power and a good drive this time.
    I think they great thing about this site is the fact we are all here for the same reason and can give support to one and other through this struggle.
  • Siansiansiansian
    Bobbie8786 wrote: »
    I have 100 pounds to lose (I'm down 20, so now it is more like 80). I have to say I disagree with the post above that you have to radically cut things from your diet. I eat pretty much whatever I want within the calorie goals I have that day. You have to find what works for you. Some people are able to completely eliminate certain food groups from their life and be fine, I did the low carb thing and lasted approximately 2 months before going completely insane and eating every carb I could get my hands on. The big key for me was understanding this is going to be a long journey with bumps along the way. I don't get crazy with exercise either. I go for a 1/2 hour walk every day and if I can fit more exercise in then I do. If you are a very disciplined person, then maybe a really strict diet and intense workout program is for you. I work full time, go to school and have a family to take care of, so I am just trying to cut my calories and get some exercise and "un-eat" this elephant one bite at a time.

I relate to you so much right now,
    I have cut down portion size incredibly, untill you actually record what you eat it's insane to realize how easy it is to consume way over the recommended amount.
    I enjoy food and I still want to enjoy food but with restraint.
    Good luck Bobbie :)
  • Siansiansiansian
    Hello Everyone, I am at 229, I need to get down to 175. I can totally identify with you Sian, I tried to love the body that I have and it only did more harm than good. I gain more weight instead of losing it. I think is normal to be afraid. I am afraid that I am going to start this again, like I had so many times before and I am going to give up. The thing is that there is no right way to get this right, we all have our struggles and we all will get to our goal as long as we keep trying. Is not failure as long as you keep trying.

You are speaking so much sense, and your are right, this is terrifying in every sense.
    And the hardest thing is having to battle this alone and being scared of failing [again and again]
    But I would love to help you out and if you ever need a pep talk drop me a message so even when you feel alone and scared. Always know you are not :)
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    600 days ago I weighed in at 289.5lb and had 140lb+ to lose, today I weigh 161lb and have just 11lb until I reach my first target. How did I get here? One day at a time. Yes it does take work and patience but it's not impossible.

The first thing to do is take your mindset away from the 150lb and on to something smaller and more easily accomplished. Sure keep that 150lb as your ultimate goal but set yourself smaller short, long and mid term goals. So your short term goal could be to lose 10lb, mid term could be 10% of your bodyweight and long term 50lb. As you pass the short and mid term goals then you can reset them and then you should be hitting goals on a regular basis which is great incentive to keep going.

Next I would simply start by logging everything you eat for around a week, this gives you a good idea of where you're starting from and it helped me be a little more mindful of whether foods were worth eating (and I lost the first 4lb without even trying).

The next step is to plug your details in and decide what rate of loss you're going to go for, it's tempting to go aggressive, but I set mine to 1lb/week. I have to admit I lost much more than that, but with that rate of loss I had a good cushion if I did have a binge day. You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight, especially if you're in the morbidly obese category, I have very rarely gone below 1800 Calories and probably average out at around 2000. I also haven't banned any foods, as you go on you'll learn which foods are worth the Calories (peanut butter magnum) and which aren't (KFC snack box). I also find if I totally ban a food that just makes me want it more, so if it fits in my Calories I'll eat it, if it doesn't fit in my Calories and I really want it I'll do something active so it does fit (I am known for walking/running around the village)

As you start to lose the weight you're going to be able to be far more active, some people don't like them but I loved my Fitbit, it allowed me to see how active I wasn't and then slowly increase my steps and activity level. As with food I started by just wearing it for a week and then once I had a baseline I started increasing my targets steps by 100 a day until I was above 10000 steps *(started <3000), and now I take anything from 20-50000 steps a day and ran/walked my first half marathon a month ago.

I'd also suggest incorporating some kind of resistance training, preferably heavier, compound lifting. That's one thing I really do wish I'd started much earlier. I was doing some resistance training but no where nearly as heavy as I could have.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2017
    Write everything down in your food diary. Weigh everything. Log it honestly, accurately, and completely. Do this, and you'll discover what you are doing to make yourself obese, and you will discover some things you can change to reverse that process. The secret key to everything about this is your food diary. Use it for knowledge and knowledge is power.

@Siansiansiansian Stay with us. You are not alone.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited June 2017
    It does not matter if the amount of weight you need to lose is large or small, the dynamic is both the same and incredibly simple at it's core: move more and eat less. It really does not get any more complicated than that.

Step one is determining your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). This is number of calories you burn per day just being alive. The following site has a pretty straightforward way to accomplish this: http://damnripped.com/tdee-calculator.To be safe, set you activity level to sedentary. This will give you some wiggle room.

Next select approximately 500 calories or so below this number as a daily calorie limit for yourself. What comes next is just a matter of logging daily here at MFP and being meticulous in how you log. Anything that passes your lips which contains calories must be logged. Diet soda, water, sparkling beverages, etc. that contain no calories you can leave out. Don't worry at all about macros at this juncture (fats, sugar, protein, etc). Eat whatever you want but stay within your calorie limit. Fad diets that are macro specific and "eating clean" WONT make you lose more weight in the long run. Being in a calorie deficit will.

That is pretty much all there is to it. Like I said, it's really not particularly complicated. Your average 3rd grader could probably figure it out. What most people have a problem with is two fold; one being consistency and the other being willpower. This I can't help you with other than to say you have to reach the point where your program and your goals become a priority in your life. Most humans are creatures of habit, so while it will seem tough at first, after a couple of months it will be a piece of cake. Your program will become the new normal.
  • MelodyBronson
    MelodyBronson Posts: 67 Member
    Sian,

So many of us are currently in "your shoes" or have been there.....I have been inspired by reading all of the replies to your post. You can do this.....we can do this.....We are all on this journey together and the journey doesn't stop once the weight is lost.....our journey continues because the majority of us must make permanent changes in the way we eat in order to keep our weight off......I have about 100 lbs to lose as well......I am 57 years old and it is a struggle for me to lose weight.....sometimes I just want to give up....but I have to tell myself that losing that one pound in a week after working so hard is better than gaining one pound.....So I keep on going ..... 1 pound or even 1/2 pound.....at times I get lucky and lose 2 pounds!! Everyone has posted great advice....read through them and take what works best for you........I have faith and confidence in you.....the first big step was your post.....You got this!!
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Regardless of how much a person has to lose, we all have to do it one pound at a time. Breathe deep, have compassion for yourself, and take it one pound at a time. xoxo
  • DaniMerc72
    DaniMerc72 Posts: 188 Member
    I have about 90 to lose, and I'm just getting started myself. The best advice I have is to take it one day at a time, (Hell, sometimes I take it one meal at a time, or one hour at a time!) and don't beat yourself up if you slip into old habits sometimes. It's really easy to get intimidated and frustrated, but start with small goals and be patient with yourself. Stay focused, and know that no matter how small the steps, you are taking them. Good luck, you can do this!!
  • badgerpam22
    badgerpam22 Posts: 182 Member
    I have anywhere between 70-110 lbs to lose, so feel free to add me, I will be here a while (:
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    4) while its certainly true that you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay under your calorie limit and still lose weight,

I actually tested this theory in a rather extreme fashion back at the beginning of 2017. You can read more about this here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/supaflyrobby1/view/the-junk-food-diet-seriously-932018

Robust and very informative post for the newbie BTW!
  • Jazzberry91
    Jazzberry91 Posts: 74 Member
    I have to lose over 100. My current goal is going to be to cut the processed carbs (white bread, white pasta, etc) and focus more on the good carbs (whole grains, brown rice, etc). I am trying to work on bringing in more veggies and fruit (fruit has many carbs but they are the good carbs, not bad, and good sugar, not bad sugar). My biggest problems right now are emotional eating and diet soda.

Please feel free to add me! The most I have ever lost at one time was a little over 50 lbs but I have gained all that back plus some (post pregnancy).

Anyone can feel free to add me :)