Afraid to weigh myself

Options

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Put your big girl pants on and step on the scale.

Is your profile picture of you recent? Cause if it is then why are you here? You look amazing! How did you do that?

Yes, that pic is from last Saturday. And thank you.
    Alot of hard work and 4.30am wake ups.

OP, I think she meant to say that she did it by lifting heavy and weighing her food and logging it in.

I don't want to hijack the post, but no, I log food only 5% of the time. Heavy lifting yes.

OP, scale is important to me because that's how I adjust my food intake since I don't log.
    Scale it's like a speedometer. You slow down when you see you're going too fast, you maintain when you see you are fine (or whatever the goals are). It's nothing more than a tool to keep yourself under control.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Also is 1200 too low calories? Cause opinions seem divided but myfitnesspal seems to think that's the amount I should eat to lose weight... and technically I can but it's kinda stressful...

What it really comes down to, is that without the support of a doctor and nutritionist, going any lower is likely to cause health problems.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Also is 1200 too low calories? Cause opinions seem divided but myfitnesspal seems to think that's the amount I should eat to lose weight... and technically I can but it's kinda stressful...

According to the stats in your OP (I've gone with 10st) you have a BMR of 1450. That is if you stayed in bed permanently. A sedentary TDEE would be 1650. So realistically a calorie goal of about 1400, with some added exercise, should be perfectly fine for you. No need to starve yourself.

But I agree with PPs: If your family are forever making you feel *kitten* about yourself then they are toxic and require removing. You need to stand up for yourself because from what you have said in this thread, as long as your family stay on the scene, you will feel inadequate/fat/forced to lose weight.

In essence: You're not afraid to weigh yourself; You are afraid of your family. And until you fix that problem you won't be able to properly address you weight and self esteem.

• EloquentSelfLoathing
    EloquentSelfLoathing Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just don't know how to fix it - I've grown up comparing myself to them, especially my mum and sister and they're both pretty much underweight and most of my friends say I'm skinny, especially at the lower end of where my weight can be - they've told me to gain weight before but I still feel fat a lot cause my family are forever making jokes and seem to have no idea of what normal/healthy actually is :/ I've moved out now but still gets to me sometimes :(
  • EloquentSelfLoathing
    Options
    *that is to say, I have no idea what my weight should be
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    Options
    *that is to say, I have no idea what my weight should be

Well this bit at least is an easy fix - plug your details in here http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    Just don't know how to fix it - I've grown up comparing myself to them, especially my mum and sister and they're both pretty much underweight and most of my friends say I'm skinny, especially at the lower end of where my weight can be - they've told me to gain weight before but I still feel fat a lot cause my family are forever making jokes and seem to have no idea of what normal/healthy actually is :/ I've moved out now but still gets to me sometimes :(

Until you deal with the issues you have with your family you won't be able to fix anything - because you've lost sight of what is normal. In the nicest possibly way: You need counselling.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and know I'm roughly 9st7 to 10st but am terrified to weigh myself - I mostly think my body looks fine but the numbers on the scale upset me if I'm above 9st. Any solutions? I want to be able to track my weight so I know if I'm losing weight but this is stopping me :(

I'm sorry, I don't understand what 9st7 to 10st mean?
  • SnocoPower
    SnocoPower Posts: 18 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I got serious about my fitness beginning of June, weighed myself and then petered out when I didn't see any progress on a SCALE in 2 weeks. What happened? I gained a little weight back because I wrongfully trusted a number to gauge my overall success.

Never thought about the facts that: a) my "slim girl" pants fit really well! b) I felt amazing exercising and getting my steps in every day, which boosted my esteem naturally, and c) I realized I'd formed new walking and eating routines that are now almost autopilot.

Bottom line: it IS just a number. I'd rather have my pants fit, and have new healthy habits daily, than to freak out about the scale....truth is, the sooner you do it, the sooner you'll get to a better place where you'll realize it doesn't matter and learn to let go. <3 trust me, I was right there with ya!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    I'm 5'5 and know I'm roughly 9st7 to 10st but am terrified to weigh myself - I mostly think my body looks fine but the numbers on the scale upset me if I'm above 9st. Any solutions? I want to be able to track my weight so I know if I'm losing weight but this is stopping me :(

Imperial measurements 9 Stone 7 pounds and 10 Stone (a Stone is 14 pounds)
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »

Between 133-140lbs. 1st = 14lbs.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Confucious says: You should look at your weight as often as you look at your checking account balance. (joking).
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Do you have an item of clothing that is now too small for you, but you used to wear easily? I'd use that as your guide for weight loss, try it on every fortnight and when it fits nicely, you're done.

If you aren't sure what weight to aim for - this links to the NHS calculator for BMI:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/BodyMassIndex.aspx

If you are 5'5" then around 9 stone is nicely within the healthy range.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    Do you have an item of clothing that is now too small for you, but you used to wear easily? I'd use that as your guide for weight loss, try it on every fortnight and when it fits nicely, you're done.

If you aren't sure what weight to aim for - this links to the NHS calculator for BMI:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/BodyMassIndex.aspx

If you are 5'5" then around 9 stone is nicely within the healthy range.

So is 10 stone. OP doesn't need to lose weight
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Until you deal with the issues you have with your family you won't be able to fix anything - because you've lost sight of what is normal. In the nicest possibly way: You need counselling.

100% agree with this
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    How will you know when you reach your goal if you don't know where you are starting from? Get on a scale. Write that number down. Do it again every day or once a week, it doesn't matter. It's just a habit to develop. And if this throws you into agony, please do consider going to a counselor to suss out what's really tripping you up. I feel you've done yourself no favors picking a user name that includes the phrase "self loathing". A once a week talk session with a therapist to maintain emotional health can be at least as important as tracking your calories and exercise for physical health. I wish you the best.
  • EloquentSelfLoathing
    Options
    Thanks for advice guys but I gotta get money before I can get counselling- if I want it free on the NHS the wait is months!
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Oh

Oh, I can relate to this. When I started losing weight I had only a rough idea of what I weighed because I was afraid to weigh myself.

I forced myself on the scale a while after I started losing weight, and I'M SO GLAD I DID. If I didn't know where I started, I wouldn't know how far I've come! Actually I wish I had weighed myself right when I began, because I'm sure what I consider to be my "starting weight" is lower than my actual starting weight.

So my advice is to just do it. Weigh yourself. You might not like what you see, but you'll be glad you did once you've started losing.

And btw, when I did that first weigh-in, my weight was a good 20 pounds lighter than I expected it to be, so nice surprises are possible!

EDIT: Having read further into the thread, I see you have different needs than I did when I started. I'll leave this post here in case it helps someone else, but I agree that counseling might be a good idea for you.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Thanks for advice guys but I gotta get money before I can get counselling- if I want it free on the NHS the wait is months!

Get on the waiting list, if you can afford to go private in the meantime then great, if not at least you know you'll be able to get some support soon.
  • HealthyGoalie1
    HealthyGoalie1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's possible to change the username once on the "change username" page. Choose wisely when choosing a new name. ;)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_username