When it comes to losing weight, does it matter what you eat if you're within your calorie goal

Options
I know that eating junk food isn't healthy in the long run and I'm trying to eat mainly healthy foods but I was just wondering if you could still lose weight like 100 pounds eating junk food as long as it's within your calories?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I know that eating junk food isn't healthy in the long run and I'm trying to eat mainly healthy foods but I was just wondering if you could still lose weight like 100 pounds eating junk food as long as it's within your calories?

Yes, you could
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting question. I find Junk food is very small quantity for the calories. So if you eat very little food you can but why would you want to? If I eat healthy food I get alot more food. I feel full and satisfied and I'm also healthier so it's a win, win. If you eat nothing but junk you are gonna feel hungry all the time. I have a treat every now and again, not saying I never eat junk but really logically you need something that you can do for the rest of your life. In addition to that I'm one of those people who can't just eat a little bit of something. I have to feel full or I just keep eating..........
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options

Yes you could.......... but I'd bet $$$ to donuts you would not be able to keep it off if that was the diet you stuck to.
    Personally I don't think many people who have issues with food could eat only junk food yet keep in a calorie deficit long enough to lose 100 lbs

Not saying it hasn't or couldn't happen but..... :#
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    It's also about modifying behavior and food choices so that you never end up in *that* place again. For example - both my "diet" calories are the same as my maintenance and my macros are "goals" not set in stone. I do try to stay within my calories. But, part of this is trying to find a lasting balance.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, but I've found that certain foods fill me up better than others, and some just make me want to eat more. It is hard to eat just 5 Ritz crackers or 5 potato chips. I can't eat just one slice of pizza. A glass of wine usually leads to a second glass of wine. So I eat all the above, but not often.
  • i6Shot
    i6Shot Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You would mainly lose muscle if you weren't resistance training and eating enough protein to maintain / build. So technically yes. However, your hunger levels would rise too since you wouldn't be feeding your body adequate nutrients making it harder to maintain the deficit. In the long term you would crumble and begin eating more and more because your body would be looking for the missing macros / micros it needs.
  • evergreenlake
    evergreenlake Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It depends on how your body reacts to it. I had fast food the other week and because of the high levels of salt and fat my body held onto it and I gained over 4lbs, just from one meal.
    I think if you're looking for real change in your life, you can't do it part way, you have to commit to it!
    Good luck!
  • jcummings6
    jcummings6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    As others have said. Yes you will lose weight as long as you are in a calorie deficit but I bet you want to lose fat not muscle right? In order to not lose muscle you need to be eating about 0.8 -1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, that's hard to do on a junk food diet.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    No it does not. I got fat by "clean eating" without counting calories, because I was in surplus. I lost all the excess weight (50 pounds plus more) by counting calories while eating whatever I want. My fasting blood sugar was also prediabetic when I was overweight while "clean eating". It's now lowered dramatically and under control after weight loss, despite my daily desserts and "junk foods." Think of calories as an allowance.
  • DeviousKitty
    DeviousKitty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd like to say yes but considering how junk food is extremely high in calorie... I'd say it would be really hard, if not impossible.

For example: I went to Chick-fil-a for my cheat meal and Just 1 meal was 1,117 calories and my daily intake is set to 1200. I'd be pretty hungry all day if I only was permitted to eat once
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'd like to say yes but considering how junk food is extremely high in calorie... I'd say it would be really hard, if not impossible.

For example: I went to Chick-fil-a for my cheat meal and Just 1 meal was 1,117 calories and my daily intake is set to 1200. I'd be pretty hungry all day if I only was permitted to eat once

It's not hard. Definitely not impossible. Just saying. Maybe try IF?
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes you will lose weight if you eat junk food as long as you're in a calorie deficit, how will you feel though?? like death. Youll pretty much feel like your on a roller coaster ride. And Im not a doctor but eating high sugar and processed foods can eventually lead to serious health issues.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @newstart1988 What is junk?

What is junk food?

I've been eating every day and losing weight and nothing has been off limits to me. I'm down 104 lb and I just want to know "What is junk food". My diary is open and I invite you to tell me what junk I've been eating and how it's prevented me losing 104 lb.