Do you annoy people at the store?

Options
124»

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    $5.00 a pound is killing me. Salmon is $35 a kilo here.

I know! I got a bargain the other day and paid $25 a kilo.

You do realize that now you are either buying stuff thats been frozen from last year catch or farmed right? You have to wait for Sept. to get the real thing and stock up :) I cannot wait for another 40lbs of King Salmon to get into my smoker :)

Christine and I are both in Australia, I think there might be a bit of a seasonal slip ;)

If it was atlantic salmon it was likely farmed, a lot if not most fresh or frozen salmon in Australia is farmed.

For me, this is the worst stuff to smoke. Way too fatty. Give me a good Sockeye instead. But it is the wrong time of year for it so I either put up with frozen, or stick to chicken and ribs.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    $5.00 a pound is killing me. Salmon is $35 a kilo here.

I know! I got a bargain the other day and paid $25 a kilo.

You do realize that now you are either buying stuff thats been frozen from last year catch or farmed right? You have to wait for Sept. to get the real thing and stock up :) I cannot wait for another 40lbs of King Salmon to get into my smoker :)

Christine and I are both in Australia, I think there might be a bit of a seasonal slip ;)

If it was atlantic salmon it was likely farmed, a lot if not most fresh or frozen salmon in Australia is farmed.

Yeah, the one i bought was labeled Atlantic Salmon :worried:

After reading this thread I'm starting to question if i should continue asking my butcher to dice up the steak i use in my Goulash?? It takes him a couple of minutes to cube it up with his ninja knife, and me half an hour and a few cut fingers when i chop it up myself at home! Oh Gawd, i hope he doesn't cringe every time he see's me walking in :worried:
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I always ask the deli person to slice my cheese paper-thin so you can nearly see through it. And I get about a pound, too. I fully expect that he's quietly plotting my demise everytime he sees me.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I guess I'm the odd man out here. But, I don't see any point to this request, and I would not ask a butcher to do such a silly thing. That's probably why he wasn't happy with the request. I'd ask him to bag up the whole thing, then I'd take it home and slice it myself.

That sort of thing is one benefit to a full service meat counter (as opposed to just picking from the prepackaged stuff). Heck when I go to my local grocery store they know how I usually want things cut and packaged (my friend says I shop there too much haha). They will cut anything...I've had them slice pork loins, thinly slice cheese, grind chicken breasts, etc. I don't have the space or the equipment to deal with that at home. They do and have the experience to be awesome at it.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The not re-freeezing meat thing came about because people would thaw it in a way which would lead to the increase of bacteria due to temperature, which wouldn't be a problem if it was cooked right away, but if it was frozen again and then rethawed, could reach unsafe levels.

you're fine to refreeze meat if you defrosted it in the fridge and it didn't get above an unsafe temperature.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    This may be mean, but I don't have empathy for people who are annoyed because they have to do their job.

Amen!

I've stopped giving a crap if people are annoyed with me asking to do something that is within their scope of work. I've spent most of my life trying to appease others and not bother people. But I am paying for the food/services that you offer, so why not take advantage? I asked the fish guy today to cut my salmon up into 5 pieces. There's a sign right there that says they will scale it, filet it, etc... it's part of their job.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    People at the store annoy me.

Some further reading:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TalesFromTheCustomer/
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    One time I had a wild goose chase going on at the store looking for garam masala. The next week it was nutritional yeast.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a self-serve froyo place and HATED when customers would want to weigh out proper servings (4 oz. etc.) haha
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Totally a butcher's job.
    And....I've had jobs that involved weight and distance measurement. You get very good at them after a while.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    I mean, it is his job, but you also only saw him one time so you have no idea how he is "normally". We are not robots. We are human beings who have emotions and moods. I have done some sort of customer service for 20 years and I know for a fact I have not always been perfect. Like after my best friend passed away. So I always give the benefit of the doubt unless it is blatant (lying to a customer) or something that I see more then once.

I also wouldn't be the happiest if you took a secret picture of me. How am I supposed to know how much of me you got in the shot? Be polite and ask before you do that.

• nlwrfa
    nlwrfa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    Totally a butcher's job.
    And....I've had jobs that involved weight and distance measurement. You get very good at them after a while.

Yea I was amazed.. he's all yea that's about right.. cut it off and sure as heck it was like a 10th of an ounce off. I wish I had his skills for my diet