What's the general opinion on peanuts?

I've been reading up on peanuts and was blown away by how many calories just a handful can drop on you. I've also read that they are good for snacks when you're trying to lose weight. After a day of scouring the internet, looking at calorie charts and reading ever single blog I could find, I still can't find a real answer.

What's your experience been with peanuts? Are they alright to eat in very small numbers? Or are they just something that are best to be avoided altogether?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    They're not better than any other calorie-dense snack, they aren't worse than any calorie-dense snack. Just eat the amount that fits in your calorie goal and you'll be fine. But if you expect some weight loss benefit from them, that's not going to happen. They're just food.

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Like everything, it's up to you. Some people don't have them because they are a trigger food and they always eat too many for their calorie goals. I like to eat small amounts as an evening snack, along with some fruit. They taste good, I don't have trouble moderating my intake, and I like the fats profile. I just weigh out the amount that will fit my calories.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I love peanuts. But all nuts are like crack to me. It's very hard to stop eating them once I start. I usually don't eat peanuts unless it's PB2 form or if I'm waiting for a burger at Five Guys.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Nuts in general are pretty nutritious...they are good sources of quality fats...but fats are calorie dense, so nuts are calorie dense. The caloric density of a food has nothing to do with it's overall nutritional profile. There are many wholesome and highly nutritious foods that are calorie bombs...one has nothing to do with the other.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    All food has calories. You eat foods in amounts that fit your goals - peanuts have a lot of fat, but you need fat. If you want to get your fat from peanuts eat peanuts!

I don't like actual peanuts... I like peanut butter though, and eat that regularly.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I buy fresh ground peanut butter that I grind myself at the store. It's delicious, and I have at least a half serving a day of it. It's great with celery, apple or just on a piece of whole wheat bread. I say eat what you love and make it fit. :smile:
  • allisonl6
    allisonl6 Posts: 37 Member
    I have a jumbo bag of roasted peanuts and a jumbo bag of raisins on top of my fridge. I make myself a "trail mix" of 50g of peanuts and 40g of raisins almost every morning before I run. Sometimes I throw in some cranberries too. It is worth every single calorie. So friggin good. I do have to make sure I close the bag of peanuts after I pour my portion though ;)
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Loved that cartoon since I was a kid!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    I am on a high protein & fat / low carb & sugar and I rely on 2 TBSP roasted salted peanut butter for my afternoon slump to hold me between lunch and dinner. There are times that I may have some in the evenings if I am still hungry. I find that the peanut butter keeps me more full than the nuts themselves. I also sometimes eat unsweetened coconut cream but peanut butter seems to work better for me.
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    I only like honey roasted and I find that the calorie counts of a handful of honey roasted peanuts is not worth it to me most days so I don't eat them. I'd also eat ALL of them if I bought a container so there's that.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Consider almonds. More Potassium, phosphorus, vitamin E, good fats, more fiber. Easier to count and log.
    Don't get them roasted. The heating process can reduce the healthy vitamin E and good fats in them. Just like you should not heat evoo too high.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Just remember, peanuts are a vegetable. That's not opinion.

My opinion is they're a great snack in moderation.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Peanuts? Meh.

Now peanut butter? Is perfection.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,120 Member
    To me, for the calories, the small handful isn't even worth bothering with. I wouldn't be satisfied if I needed a snack, so I don't eat them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2017
    Consider almonds. More nutrition and vitamins. Potassium, phosphorus, vitamin E, good fats.

By weight, peanuts have more potassium and phosphorus than almonds do. They also contain vitamin E, although not as much as almonds do. Both are a good source of fat.

How is one easier to log than the other? You toss both on the scale easily.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    @janejellyroll - "By weight, peanuts have more potassium and phosphorus than almonds do. They also contain vitamin E, although not as much as almonds do. Both are a good source of fat."

Peanut butter satisfies me more than almond butter for some reason, also. I bought some b/c it's supposedly less inflammatory than peanut butter - and I'll be glad when I finish the jar.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Peanuts? Meh.

Now peanut butter? Is perfection.

Very much this. Most nuts are great for snacking, but as others have said, if they trigger the munchies, then maybe steer clear.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    I love peanuts. But all nuts are like crack to me. It's very hard to stop eating them once I start. I usually don't eat peanuts unless it's PB2 form or if I'm waiting for a burger at Five Guys.

For me, Five guys peanuts are like a race to see how many I can crack open and eat before the food is ready.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Consider almonds. More nutrition and vitamins. Potassium, phosphorus, vitamin E, good fats.

By weight, peanuts have more potassium and phosphorus than almonds do. They also contain vitamin E, although not as much as almonds do. Both are a good source of fat.

No they don't? Almonds have more potassium and phosphorus by weight.