Family is no help!

Options
Oriel94
Oriel94 Posts: 22 Member
Hi everyone! I really need to know how you guys got started and we're able to stay on track when your family refuses to buy food that you could eat. I'm a recent college graduate and currently unemployed so I am taking this time to work on myself until God opens a door for me. Therefore, food in the house is totally up to my family. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ValkyrieOnline
    ValkyrieOnline Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi!! Definitely is tough, but doable! Try to make sure you eat the recommended serving size, eat in portions, and if it is a whole meal of things put together (stew, sandwiches) try as best as you can to dissect the foods and log them in separately...example :)
    "Homemade: Beef Stew" <--- isn't going to tell you how many calories are in it, they could be wayyy over or waayy less.
    Also, if you do end up eating stuff that is "bad" or too much, walking or doing exercise can give you more calories for the day! :smile:
    So try logging the food separately instead of clumping it together. Hope this helped! :heart:
  • seccotine
    seccotine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Could you be a bit more precise: what is your family cooking and what is missing? You do not need diet food to loose weight, however vegetables and fresh fruit are definitely helpful. But as vnb_208 said, portion size and avoiding liquid calories are a big part of the equation. Whatever you do, do NOT look at it as "dieting", i.e. a punishment limited in time, but commit to changing your eating habits for good.
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You still control *how much* of the food you eat. You can lose weight eating junk food if you have to, but you have to control your portions. If you seriously have no control over what they feed you, then take charge of *how much* of it you eat (or don't eat.)
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    You can stick with portioning the main dish, and just request a different side (i.e. asparagus vs rice). But don't make your family do everything. If you're not working, then you can go grocery shopping with them (or go on your own), and pick/cook what you want to eat. Better yet, make "healthier" versions of their favorite meals. Coming from a similar situation (not working due to health), take this time to really learn how to cook. It will suck at first if you're not a cook to begin with, but keep it simple, and it will be fun to experiment!
  • Eliniita
    Eliniita Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hey :) It's awesome that you are wanting to make some changes in your life!
    I agree with a lot of the suggestions you've already gotten, such as,
    >Smaller Portions
    >Offering to help with shopping/cooking/cleaning
    >Finding a part time job

However, I'd also suggest you talk with your family. I don't know who you live with, but for example, if It's your mom, maybe talk to her about your goals, ask her (or anyone in your family) if they'd like to join you on your journey.
    Communication is so important.
    Best of luck, and if you'd like to support each other, please add me as a friend! <3
  • Oriel94
    Options
    Seeing as you're unemployed why don't you offer to help by shopping and cooking sometimes?

I actually do all the cooking right now because my grandparents are sick.
  • Oriel94
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    You can stick with portioning the main dish, and just request a different side (i.e. asparagus vs rice). But don't make your family do everything. If you're not working, then you can go grocery shopping with them (or go on your own), and pick/cook what you want to eat. Better yet, make "healthier" versions of their favorite meals. Coming from a similar situation (not working due to health), take this time to really learn how to cook. It will suck at first if you're not a cook to begin with, but keep it simple, and it will be fun to experiment!

I do all the cooking in the house, but we are from the south where everything is either smothered or fried and they refuse to eat it any other way lol
  • Princessarkyn
    Princessarkyn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking you could take all the above advice and also consider something that worked great for me.

Intermittent fasting. Eat normally one day and fast the next day. Repeat for the rest of your life.

That way you won't need to worry so much about the specific groceries and foods you eat everyday and your body will have enough time to digest all the food you do throw in

• Oriel94
    Options
    seccotine wrote: »
    Could you be a bit more precise: what is your family cooking and what is missing? You do not need diet food to loose weight, however vegetables and fresh fruit are definitely helpful. But as vnb_208 said, portion size and avoiding liquid calories are a big part of the equation. Whatever you do, do NOT look at it as "dieting", i.e. a punishment limited in time, but commit to changing your eating habits for good.

Well I am trying to take red meat and fried food out of my diet. I have already discontinued rice from my diet but I love bread and sweets so I am trying to wean myself off of them. However my family continues to request red meat, fried food, and sweets. They are on a fixed income so it is expensive to try and cook two different dinners daily.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Oriel94 wrote: »

I do all the cooking in the house, but we are from the south where everything is either smothered or fried and they refuse to eat it any other way lol

I live in the south and not EVERYTHING is smothered or fried. This is a false statement.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

Well I am trying to take red meat and fried food out of my diet. I have already discontinued rice from my diet but I love bread and sweets so I am trying to wean myself off of them. However my family continues to request red meat, fried food, and sweets. They are on a fixed income so it is expensive to try and cook two different dinners daily.

It sounds like you are trying to cut out a lot of foods. That is not necessary. My husband is from the south, likes his current weight, and refuses to eat the healthy stuff I grew up on out west. So, I cook the greasy fatty food with rice or potatoes for dinner and honestly it's delicious! I just eat a lot lighter during the rest of the day and watch my dinner portions. Would your family object to buying a few healthier options for you to eat for breakfast and lunch?
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options

No need to wean yourself off something you like! Eat the foods you like in PORTION that;s the key. Fill up on veggies & fruits when available you're talking to someone who eat's pizza weekly, ice cream (halo top)/ Oreo's (2), or something else sweet every night. (down 86 lbs eating foods I enjoy) In order for you to make a lasting change you need to be able to learn how to eat the foods you like by portion control. Sure you can have a piece of fried chicken but you don't want to do this every night or eat 3-4 piece's. Don't make to many changes at once it can get very discouraging.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Instead of cooking two separate dinners, maybe try just cooking using different methods? For example, if your family only likes veggies covered in sauce or butter, make it that way for them but steam yours in the microwave. If they want fried chicken, just take the fried skin off yours. That way you're using the same foods and not adding much extra cooking time, but your food will be a little healthier. Finding healthy versions of favorite foods is something I've had a lot of fun and success with as well- my favorites come from Pinterest, Hungry Girl, and Skinnytaste.com. And of course, portioning is important, as others have said.
  • Johnturner69
    Johnturner69 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

You always have a choice. If your family insist on Fried Fish, mash-potatoes and gravy. Then fry theirs and BAKE yours, keep a portion of the potatoes to the side for you and omit the fats and leave off the gravy. As you said you are doing the cooking so you are making the choices you are eating.