Who read "The Obesity Code" by Jason Fung

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    This was asked back in March in MFP. It got pretty ugly.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10527944/jason-fungs-book-the-obesity-code-thoughts
    Any diet against CICO won't go over well here.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Fung believes CICO is a "theory". That automatically makes him a "woo" seller of whatever program he wants people to believe it.
    OP, people get obese eating more than they need to. Whether it's protein, carbs, or fat. The more overweight someone gets, the higher risk they have for diabetes, metabolic dysfunction, hormonal imbalance, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I agree with what you're trying to say but you need to check the meaning of the word theory in the dictionary.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Jason Fung's weight loss rules depend heavily on the fact that many people need a structured way of eating to lose weight, someone to tell them when, what and how much to eat. This is the basis of most of the weight-loss fad diets and scammy books. People who follow his advice and lose weight do it basically because a keto diet is satiating for them and their energy input will be less than their energy output. CICO. Like any weight loss effort, the long-term sustainability will depend on the person's ability to continue eating in this way after getting to maintenance.

Which is to say most people will gain the weight back because most people do using any weight-loss method.

In my opinion people trying to adhere to restrictive diets like this one usually not only fail to reach maintenance, they also develop anxieties around foods that might make it easier to lose weight in the future because those are the foods they like and that are satiating for them.
  • pacific904
    pacific904 Posts: 92 Member
    I also gotta kinda laugh because he's Asian and if he attends any family gatherings or parties, I can bet there's a lot of rice, and other starchy foods around. And like most Asians (with the possible exception of those raised in the US), they're likely well within normal weight and body fat range.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

A bit "cliche" your comment!

• pacific904
    pacific904 Posts: 92 Member
    When you are reducing calories you are probably unknowingly reducing carbs.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    pacific904 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    mariaros wrote: »
    Yes we, everyone need this information, specifically if want to loose weight and not gain it back.

No. everybody does not. Jason Fung has been debunked many times. He is just another woo peddler like Dr. Oz and many others. There is no scientific backing for his claims.

Plenty of scientific backing behind Dr Fung's statements! Love Eric Berg too.

Please, share links proving this.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

Not always. When I cut calories, its all from fat. I still get close to 300g or so of carbs per day. Others might cut carbs.. but not universally true.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    The song is still in my head. Thank you for that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vhxWz-0HL8
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

Not always. When I cut calories, its all from fat. I still get close to 300g or so of carbs per day. Others might cut carbs.. but not universally true.

Same. All of my cut calories are from fat. I get plenty of carbs. I thrive on them and protein.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Fung believes CICO is a "theory". That automatically makes him a "woo" seller of whatever program he wants people to believe it.
    OP, people get obese eating more than they need to. Whether it's protein, carbs, or fat. The more overweight someone gets, the higher risk they have for diabetes, metabolic dysfunction, hormonal imbalance, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I agree with what you're trying to say but you need to check the meaning of the word theory in the dictionary.
    Actually it's factual and not theoretical. Basic mathematics apply regardless of the person. Yes, some people need to eat much less than others possibly due to a health issue, but that's usually because that health issue causes them to burn less.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png