Family is no help!

Options

Replies

• Oriel94
    Oriel94 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    Honestly, OP, I'm more concerned about your situation as a caregiver right now than your weight loss efforts. Dementia is so incredibly difficult on everyone. Hope your family has access to the resources you need. My heart goes out to you... just do the best you can with the circumstances you have right now. As others have mentioned, being careful with your portions of the higher calorie fare and rounding out with lower calorie veggies & fruits where possible. Maybe you can get out of the house & get some extra exercise. Wish you the best :)

I agree! OP, it sounds like you have a grip on how to handle the food choices. It's the dementia that's the real challenge, and I haven't met anyone who has an easy answer for that. I'm especially sad that she throws away your food. :( it will be MUCH easier when you're out on your own. Congrats on finishing college, BTW. Great accomplishment!

Thanks! I'm applying everywhere in town but no offers yet. Hopefully something will come into place for me.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My wife tried to care for her father in our home. His dementia was mild, but we were able to get him into a nursing home on Medicare. That was a procedural struggle far more daunting than anything I've had to face with weight loss, but worth it.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    -When it comes to a sweet tooth, you just have to get it under control, and that can be hard when you have tasty things in the house.

This reminded me, I have a sweet tooth too and it's the main reason I don't meet my calorie goals. To the extent we can limit sweets, it leaves a lot more room for the other food you may not have as much control over.

It is definitely a struggle when the family has sweets in the house...I try to encourage them to just get things I don't like (nutty bars or entemann's donuts--yuck), but when they bring in things I like, it is hard to resist. I try to limit myself to one (or at the most two) servings a day until the pack of cookies or whatnot is gone. Still, it makes a huge difference to just eat 4 oreos instead of a sleeve and a half, as when I was blissfully ignoring the number of calories. :D

That's really weird... Nutty Bars & Entemann's donuts are two of the things I'm safe around too! ;)
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I understand about the unhealthy food. My diet is simply everything in moderation. Eating less than you normally do is a common sense approach to eat less and therefore consuming less calories.

But, since most people eat too much on the weekend when eating out, I don't worry too much about it on saturday and sunday. Those days I'll be having a lot of mexican food. Low calories during the week and higher calories on the weekend and you'll still lose. I think ridding of a certain food is difficult for most people so just eating less of everything is reasonable.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Oriel94 wrote: »
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    You can stick with portioning the main dish, and just request a different side (i.e. asparagus vs rice). But don't make your family do everything. If you're not working, then you can go grocery shopping with them (or go on your own), and pick/cook what you want to eat. Better yet, make "healthier" versions of their favorite meals. Coming from a similar situation (not working due to health), take this time to really learn how to cook. It will suck at first if you're not a cook to begin with, but keep it simple, and it will be fun to experiment!

I do all the cooking in the house, but we are from the south where everything is either smothered or fried and they refuse to eat it any other way lol

If you are doing the cooking, it's easier. Cook the fried and smothered junk for them, but cook your portion seperatly and don't smother it.
    You can use a cookie cooler rack over a cookie or pie pan to bake most meats and veggies in about the same amount of time as the fried stuff. Expeeiment with using foil to wrap it for seasonings and to keep moist, and then broiling without foil for a minute or two to crisp and brown.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat! My parents would only occasionally take my requests into account for healthy food that was sometimes slightly more expensive. But once I offered to cook and grocery shop for them (My mom HATES grocery stores) , as well as cleaning the kitchen (they also HATE that) , they gave me a budget and I am allowed to pick and choose most of my foods if it fit. I keep their favorite foods around as well. We all decide together on dinner, and keep it a combination of 'healthy' and regular foods so everyone is happy!
  • Oriel94
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    I was in the same boat! My parents would only occasionally take my requests into account for healthy food that was sometimes slightly more expensive. But once I offered to cook and grocery shop for them (My mom HATES grocery stores) , as well as cleaning the kitchen (they also HATE that) , they gave me a budget and I am allowed to pick and choose most of my foods if it fit. I keep their favorite foods around as well. We all decide together on dinner, and keep it a combination of 'healthy' and regular foods so everyone is happy!

If only my family were that simple lol
  • Oriel94
    Options
    grmrsan wrote: »
    You can stick with portioning the main dish, and just request a different side (i.e. asparagus vs rice). But don't make your family do everything. If you're not working, then you can go grocery shopping with them (or go on your own), and pick/cook what you want to eat. Better yet, make "healthier" versions of their favorite meals. Coming from a similar situation (not working due to health), take this time to really learn how to cook. It will suck at first if you're not a cook to begin with, but keep it simple, and it will be fun to experiment!

I do all the cooking in the house, but we are from the south where everything is either smothered or fried and they refuse to eat it any other way lol

If you are doing the cooking, it's easier. Cook the fried and smothered junk for them, but cook your portion seperatly and don't smother it.
    You can use a cookie cooler rack over a cookie or pie pan to bake most meats and veggies in about the same amount of time as the fried stuff. Expeeiment with using foil to wrap it for seasonings and to keep moist, and then broiling without foil for a minute or two to crisp and brown.

Thanks I've never thought about a cookie cooler rack
  • Oriel94
    Options
    LucasLean wrote: »
    I understand about the unhealthy food. My diet is simply everything in moderation. Eating less than you normally do is a common sense approach to eat less and therefore consuming less calories.

But, since most people eat too much on the weekend when eating out, I don't worry too much about it on saturday and sunday. Those days I'll be having a lot of mexican food. Low calories during the week and higher calories on the weekend and you'll still lose. I think ridding of a certain food is difficult for most people so just eating less of everything is reasonable.

I completely understand, Mexican food is one of my absolute favorites. Especially with a good margarita and an extra shot!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    grmrsan wrote: »

Thanks I've never thought about a cookie cooler rack

I didn't know they were for cooling things until several years after I was married! I heard them called "baking racks" so used them for baking meats and veggies. They work quite well
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

I live in the south and not EVERYTHING is smothered or fried. This is a false statement.

Are you southern or just live in the south? The south is KNOWN for its fatty fried food, no need for you to try and argue that.

BOTH.
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Now I want biscuits and gravy, fried chicken, hush puppies and a huge side of greens with fatback and fried okra.....
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    mom2kateRH wrote: »
    Now I want biscuits and gravy, fried chicken, hush puppies and a huge side of greens with fatback and fried okra.....

omg, yum
  • carterbrent
    carterbrent Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about the violence because my father in law had lewy body disease which I think is very similar to alzheimers and he got very combative towards the end before he had to go to the nursing home. You are a dear to be taking on these challenges at such a young age and I wish you all the best!
  • Nmarine1996
    Nmarine1996 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    God bless you... you are incredible for what you are doing for your family. Forget that one hater on your post. Not everyone will agree with you but just know you are on the right track!
  • Oriel94
    Options
    God bless you... you are incredible for what you are doing for your family. Forget that one hater on your post. Not everyone will agree with you but just know you are on the right track!

Thank you for your support!
  • Oriel94
    Options
    I know what you mean about the violence because my father in law had lewy body disease which I think is very similar to alzheimers and he got very combative towards the end before he had to go to the nursing home. You are a dear to be taking on these challenges at such a young age and I wish you all the best!

Thank you so much, I just hope we don't have to do that.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Honestly, OP, I'm more concerned about your situation as a caregiver right now than your weight loss efforts. Dementia is so incredibly difficult on everyone. Hope your family has access to the resources you need. My heart goes out to you... just do the best you can with the circumstances you have right now. As others have mentioned, being careful with your portions of the higher calorie fare and rounding out with lower calorie veggies & fruits where possible. Maybe you can get out of the house & get some extra exercise. Wish you the best :)

This.

Having cared for a parent with dementia, my other concern is for the safety of everyone in the house. If grandma is doing things unsupervised at night, there is a real risk of her starting a fire by forgetting to turn off the stove. It only had to happen to us once to realize the inherent danger. I had to turn off the gas to the stove every night to make certain we were safe if she decided to use the kitchen.

Are you getting any outside help with your grandma?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have a neighbor with alzheimers I think it is and her hubby who is in his mid 80s had to turn the gas off to the stove because she was doing just that,cooking and leaving the gas/burner on.hes afraid she will blow them to bits.my grandma had dementia but my cousin took care of her.she would forget things but never made it to where she was a risk to herself.she was just combative and got abusive and that was not how she was normally. its an awful disease.
  • Oriel94
    Options

This.

Having cared for a parent with dementia, my other concern is for the safety of everyone in the house. If grandma is doing things unsupervised at night, there is a real risk of her starting a fire by forgetting to turn off the stove. It only had to happen to us once to realize the inherent danger. I had to turn off the gas to the stove every night to make certain we were safe if she decided to use the kitchen.

Are you getting any outside help with your grandma?

Grandfather is not helping and he has the POA. He is still trying to adhere to her wishes