Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think parents should teach their kids how to count calories?

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Colt1835 wrote: »
    Judging by the number of people on here who are against teaching their kids about CICO. I'm going to go ahead and predict a rise in obesity.

That's not an outrageous prediction, seeing as obesity rates have risen steadily year on year in the US since 1970, with rates of obesity projected to rise as high as 45% by 2030

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong about the rise in obesity regardless if I'm right about whether kids should be taught CICO. I was kind of half joking when I made my prediction. I think it's great that you plan on teaching your kids how to be active and eat a well balanced diet. I will do the same with mine and I will also teach them about CICO. I don't think there is anything wrong with your way. Every parent has to do what they think is best for their children.
    Judging by the number of people on here who are against teaching their kids about CICO. I'm going to go ahead and predict a rise in obesity.

There's a huge difference between teaching them about nutrition, healthful habits, regular exercise, etc vs "here...I know you're only 7 but you really need to start logging every calorie...'cuz CICO and you need to learn it."

When age appropriate, I will talk about the energy balance equation, but the premise of this thread is, should we teach our kids to count calories? I think it's unnecessary. People world over don't count calories and do just fine. Most of my real world friends are pretty into nutrition, fitness, etc...not a single one of them counts calories...they're just fine and so are their kids.
    I don't think anyone is claiming that 7 year olds should be taught how to do anything with CICO. I think you know that and you're just being ridiculous to make your answer to the topic seem more sound. I wouldn't put an age on it though. Kids will become mentally and emotionally read for things when they are ready, not when the parent is ready for them to be.

What is a kid really? I consider anyone who is still in high school to be a kid. There's no reason a mentally and emotionally healthy high schooler shouldn't be taught what a calorie is and how to figure out how many they need.

People world over get fat too. The states have a huge obesity problem, but we are not the only ones. I find this information completely moot.

I have no doubts that people can be fit without counting calories. Some people can't. I just think it's worth it to teach kids how to count calories regardless if they will need it. I'm not playing a guessing game with what my kids will need one day. I'm gong to go a head and teach them as much as I can just incase they need it.

I don't think I'll refer to my kids as "kids" when they're teens...kids to me is small children. Teens... particularly late teens, you're pretty much an adult. I was in the military and ready to take a bullet at 18... didn't really consider myself a "kid" at that point.

So yeah... not trying to be ridiculous. This topic is ridiculous and completely lacks any form of context.

Should you have your "kid" sit down and count calories when/if they don't have a weight problem? What's the purpose?

I defined "kid" as prior to high school graduation. Before most are expected to leave the house and start figuring out how to live independently. There's a wide range of ages where teaching calories might be appropriate depending on the kid.

I would have done well if it had been taught to me at 7 - I was super into science, particularly branches of biology, and very precocious. Plus, I didn't eat enough. Might have helped my parents convince me to eat more. Certainly "sit at the table until you eat your steak" was a miserable failure.

To me, it's silly not to teach kids the concept of counting calories even if they don't need it just then. Just like I learned how to balance a checkbook long before I ever had a bank account. But just like that, there's no need to require that the kid actually count calories beyond what might be required to get the lesson learned. They'll know the method exists and the basics should they ever need it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Should you have your "kid" sit down and count calories when/if they don't have a weight problem? What's the purpose?

I agree forcing your "kid" to count calories isn't a good strategy and can lead to all sorts of issues.

When someone says should you teach your kids about calorie counting my thought it yes, when they are at an appropriate age to understand it (probably teens), I want them to understand that calories are a unit of energy the body uses, they come from food and come from the fat, protein, and carb content of a food. If you eat more than you need you gain and vice verse. I guess that is more classified as CICO than calorie counting per se. Hopefully, if they ever have weight issues as an adult, they can address the issue as opposed to chasing fad diets around. To me, teaching your child something does not mean you have to make them do it all the time. Sometimes you just impart bits of information and hope its still there when they need it one day.

My guess is that my kids will probably glean a lot from my wife and I without us having a direct conversation about it or sitting down and "teaching" them.

We're both pretty into nutrition and fitness and whatnot and we talk conversationally with each other about calories, portions, fitness, recovery, etc...we use a food scale for many things, and just the other day my 7 year old asked me, "why are you putting your food on that thing." I just explained to him that I was making sure I was getting the right amount of food because I didn't want to eat too much and I also didn't want to not eat enough. He said, "oh...cool...I should always eat enough, but not too much right?" And then he told me, "I should make sure I eat all of my lunch after Jiu Jitsu so I can be strong and not be too tired."

IDK...I think kids will glean things from the lifestyle that parents live.

My kids are 9, 7, and 3 and we essentially do the same. Being the kids of two professional scientists they have followed a lot of our behaviors and question everything. We have already reviewed the caloric needs of everyone in the family as comparison.

There's a lot of projection on these threads and I don't understand where the hyperbolic exaggerations are coming from. I don't see how anyone would have an issue with how you are introducing kids to this.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

I agree forcing your "kid" to count calories isn't a good strategy and can lead to all sorts of issues.

When someone says should you teach your kids about calorie counting my thought it yes, when they are at an appropriate age to understand it (probably teens), I want them to understand that calories are a unit of energy the body uses, they come from food and come from the fat, protein, and carb content of a food. If you eat more than you need you gain and vice verse. I guess that is more classified as CICO than calorie counting per se. Hopefully, if they ever have weight issues as an adult, they can address the issue as opposed to chasing fad diets around. To me, teaching your child something does not mean you have to make them do it all the time. Sometimes you just impart bits of information and hope its still there when they need it one day.

My guess is that my kids will probably glean a lot from my wife and I without us having a direct conversation about it or sitting down and "teaching" them.

We're both pretty into nutrition and fitness and whatnot and we talk conversationally with each other about calories, portions, fitness, recovery, etc...we use a food scale for many things, and just the other day my 7 year old asked me, "why are you putting your food on that thing." I just explained to him that I was making sure I was getting the right amount of food because I didn't want to eat too much and I also didn't want to not eat enough. He said, "oh...cool...I should always eat enough, but not too much right?" And then he told me, "I should make sure I eat all of my lunch after Jiu Jitsu so I can be strong and not be too tired."

I would consider that a form of teaching, largely I think we agree with each other just but just use different words.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I would consider that a form of teaching, largely I think we agree with each other just but just use different words.

Yeah, probably....

I'd also add that my family is fortunate to be surrounded primarily by fitness oriented people...most of our friends and family are pretty into nutrition and fitness, etc...Grandma (my mom) is a former triathlete...mostly plays golf and dances now, but she still gets into the gym to lift...Auntie (my sister) is a marathoner and recreational MMA fighter...mom is an avid runner and likes to do 1/2s...I'm an avid cycling enthusiast...our best friends own a gym and are our trainers and we spend a lot of social time with them and their kids (same age)...One of my best long time friends is a big time yoga guy...one of my best lady friends for decades is a body builder...another one is an Ironwoman...

They're essentially being reared in a culture that is all about taking care of themselves and nurturing the body and being active, so this kind of environment is completely normal to them and will likely serve them well going forward.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    what I find funny about this debate is that at my age I did grow up in the era of "go outside and Play"...only eat when hungry, eat veggies and fruit...chips and dip were a once a week treat, no soda just milk and water. Ice cream only in a serving size etc.

Guess what I got fat...I stayed fat.

Teaching kids those things (not cico) do not guarantee anything.

Did you continue to follow what you had learned?

If not, then there is no reason teaching them cico will change anything if they also do not follow what they have learned.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    what I find funny about this debate is that at my age I did grow up in the era of "go outside and Play"...only eat when hungry, eat veggies and fruit...chips and dip were a once a week treat, no soda just milk and water. Ice cream only in a serving size etc.

Guess what I got fat...I stayed fat.

Teaching kids those things (not cico) do not guarantee anything.

This is why my kids still learned (as part of their homeshooling curriculum) the rudiments of energy balance.

I don't think there's any one way to bullet proof your kids from obesity, and I've always thought it was my job as a parent to cover as many bases as possible.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options

That seems an absurd prediction to me - as I said, my 3 kids were never taught about calorie counting - they are now all healthy weight adults.

Because they understand basics of nutrition, serving sizes and lead active lives.

and many people do this and have a calorie balance ie maintain healthy weights, without claorie counting - just by the way they live.

and many people who do get over weight lose it without counting calories - when my son was told to lose bit of weight by his footy coach, he didnt do it by counting calories - he cut back on take aways, switched to low carb beer, ramped up the gym sessions.
    Got back to ideal weight without ever paying attention to calories

Obviously CICO and nutrition apply to everyone but calorie counting doesnt.

Counting calories is a tool. It's wonderful if you don't need it, but useful if you do. I don't think anyone here is saying that Counting calories is necessary for everyone. It has helped me. If there is even the smallest chance that my kids will need it, I want them to have it.

I beg to differ.

I think people will learn how to use this tool when and if they need/want to.
    Which may well be never.

and most people who do lose weight do so without counting calories anyway

When people ask me how I lost weight, I tell them by counting calories. Most people think it's a trick or a fad. So, I disagree that people will just count calories if the need too.

I really don't care what most people do. If i used the methods that most people use I'd lose some weight and then gain more back for the rest of my life. No thanks.

Well,yes,I lòst weight by counting calories too - but I don't leap from that to It us the only successful way or It us useful information for people who don't want/ need to know it.
    Let stone teaching it to children just because.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

That seems an absurd prediction to me - as I said, my 3 kids were never taught about calorie counting - they are now all healthy weight adults.

Because they understand basics of nutrition, serving sizes and lead active lives.

and many people do this and have a calorie balance ie maintain healthy weights, without claorie counting - just by the way they live.

and many people who do get over weight lose it without counting calories - when my son was told to lose bit of weight by his footy coach, he didnt do it by counting calories - he cut back on take aways, switched to low carb beer, ramped up the gym sessions.
    Got back to ideal weight without ever paying attention to calories

Obviously CICO and nutrition apply to everyone but calorie counting doesnt.

Counting calories is a tool. It's wonderful if you don't need it, but useful if you do. I don't think anyone here is saying that Counting calories is necessary for everyone. It has helped me. If there is even the smallest chance that my kids will need it, I want them to have it.

I beg to differ.

I think people will learn how to use this tool when and if they need/want to.
    Which may well be never.

and most people who do lose weight do so without counting calories anyway

When people ask me how I lost weight, I tell them by counting calories. Most people think it's a trick or a fad. So, I disagree that people will just count calories if the need too.

I really don't care what most people do. If i used the methods that most people use I'd lose some weight and then gain more back for the rest of my life. No thanks.

Well,yes,I lòst weight by counting calories too - but I don't leap from that to It us the only successful way or It us useful information for people who don't want/ need to know it.
    Let stone teaching it to children just because.
    I'm having a hard time understanding your post because of how it's worded, but to be clear I never said it's the only way. Not just in this thread. I've actually never said that at all because it's not true.
  • paperpudding
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Was meant to say 'Let alone' - not let stone.

I know you didn't say it was only way but you did seem to imply that by sayin No thanks, other people who do it other ways just gain it back (paraphrase)

I still think teaching children - preferably by example and role modelling as was said by others - about nutritious eating, portion sizes, active lifestyle is the way to go.

Teaching children calorie counting doesn't seem useful to me at all - it is something people will learn when/ if they need or want it.

Just like, using financial analogy, teaching about money, living within your means etc - Yes.

Teaching details of using a cheque book - No.

Because this is something many people never want or need to use.
  • Colt1835
    Options

I know you didn't say it was only way but you did seem to imply that by sayin No thanks, other people who do it other ways just gain it back (paraphrase)

I still think teaching children - preferably by example and role modelling as was said by others - about nutritious eating, portion sizes, active lifestyle is the way to go.

Teaching children calorie counting doesn't seem useful to me at all - it is something people will learn when/ if they need or want it.

Just like, using financial analogy, teaching about money, living within your means etc - Yes.

Because this is something many people never want or need to use.

I wasn't implying that calorie counting is the only way. When I said most people I was talking about people who get on fad diets and never actually make any lifestyle changes. As I've kept saying on this thread, I'm aware calorie counting isn't the only way to do it.

I agree that teaching about nutrition, portion sizes, active lifestyle is more important.

I get the feeling you are talking about a different age than I am. I really hope you are. I've said multiple times in this thread that I've been talking about teens in high school. I couldn't imagine sending my children out into the world on their own with out teaching them the details of how to balance their checking account.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Well that was just an example - a good one, I thought, since most people here do not have cheque books now.

And I wasn't talking any age in particular - I don't think it is constructive to teach calorie counting at any age just as a ' skill you will need in life'
  • Colt1835
    Options
    Well that was just an example - a good one, I thought, since most people here do not have cheque books now.

And I wasn't talking any age in particular - I don't think it is constructive to teach calorie counting at any age just as a ' skill you will need in life'

I never said they would need it. I hope they don't. I don't regret anything I've learned whether I need that information or not.

I still use a check book, but I also balance my money online. I wouldn't be surprised if check books are a thing of the past when my kids are adults though.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Exactly - so not much point teaching children how to use them. Since they probably never will want or need to

Most people dont use them here now

I dont regret learning anything either - but I dont remember things I dont use or are of no interest or relevance to me.
  • Colt1835
    Options
    Exactly - so not much point teaching children how to use them. Since they probably never will want or need to

I dont regret learning anything either - but I dont remember things I dont use or are of no interest or relevance to me.
    I disagree. You do things your way and I'll stick to my way.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I think encouraging healthy choices will naturally lead to an appropriate caloric balance. Like if they have a banana for breakfast, having a cookie later wouldn't probably put them over their energy expenditure. However, having a huge bowl of cereal (typical of a kid with 3-4 servings) and then having a cookie later could put them over. Perhaps teaching a simple give and take like being allowed one 'healthy' (aka calorically light) snack and one regular snack could help instill the idea without needing to outright bring specific numbers into things. I think the numbers are still valuable (and I use them every day!) and could be introduced at a later age like the teens, and even then encouraging just keeping a general idea in their head of how much they're eating and how they feel.
  • paperpudding
    Options

I disagree. You do things your way and I'll stick to my way.

Of course.

But this is a thread asking for opinions and that is mine.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Because this is something many people never want or need to use

Could be a contributing factor why most in the US don't have near enough saved for retirement too. People may not have or use a 'physical" checkbook, but they still need to be able to monitor cash inflow and outflow.

Same with calories, may not need to count calories but need some method to manage weight, how belt/clothing fits as an example.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    All I know is I wish my parents had some SOMETHING. I got lucky, considering how much I ate. I was bigger in 6th grade than I am now though. I at least wish I was told not to go back for seconds, or thirds. Or that I don't need 4 slices of pizza. I don't know. This is a tough one for me.

I work at an elementary school. Some of my kids are obese, and most of them live below the poverty line. Our principle will take away soda and candy from there. They eat a lot of chips and while I know I shouldn't be urging children to eat...sometimes cheese doodles are the only thing in their lunch boxes.