Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think parents should teach their kids how to count calories?

Options

Replies

• leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    All I know is I wish my parents had some SOMETHING. I got lucky, considering how much I ate. I was bigger in 6th grade than I am now though. I at least wish I was told not to go back for seconds, or thirds. Or that I don't need 4 slices of pizza. I don't know. This is a tough one for me.

I work at an elementary school. Some of my kids are obese, and most of them live below the poverty line. Our principle will take away soda and candy from there. They eat a lot of chips and while I know I shouldn't be urging children to eat...sometimes cheese doodles are the only thing in their lunch boxes.

That sparks another question - do you think it is a teacher's place to recommend foods or diets/approach parents on their children's eating behavior?
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    All I know is I wish my parents had some SOMETHING. I got lucky, considering how much I ate. I was bigger in 6th grade than I am now though. I at least wish I was told not to go back for seconds, or thirds. Or that I don't need 4 slices of pizza. I don't know. This is a tough one for me.

I work at an elementary school. Some of my kids are obese, and most of them live below the poverty line. Our principle will take away soda and candy from there. They eat a lot of chips and while I know I shouldn't be urging children to eat...sometimes cheese doodles are the only thing in their lunch boxes.

That sparks another question - do you think it is a teacher's place to recommend foods or diets/approach parents on their children's eating behavior?

No. Being a teaching doesn't make one automatically know anything about nutrition.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Colt1835 wrote: »

No. Being a teaching doesn't make one automatically know anything about nutrition.

But as a person who spends a great deal of time with someone's child, if they notice "unhealthy" behaviors some may feel they are entitled to voice concern.
  • Colt1835
    Options

But as a person who spends a great deal of time with someone's child, if they notice "unhealthy" behaviors some may feel they are entitled to voice concern.
    That's a good point. If it's something like not eating anything all day I could see bringing it up to the parent. I can tell you though, teachers I've dealt with don't know how to feed themselves. I surely wouldn't want them to be telling ignorant patents what's healthy.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

No. It would make me uncomfortable when I'd see the principle take away juice or candy.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

I work with a rough population in Brooklyn....we aren't calling home because of food choices. I'd get laughed at.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I definitely teach my son about calories now that he's 13. I keep him well informed on my diet, counting calories, the math, and most importantly... making sure to never get too comfortable in that "I eat what I want and stay skinny, do I don't need to pay attention to my diet" attitude. I had that luxury my whole life and so does my son. And I had to learn the hard way. So if he were to fall ill, get injured (like I did), or just have a slower metabolism as he ages.... I'd want him to quickly correct his diet in a healthy and enjoyable way rather than waiting until you have 30 pounds to lose (like I did).

But he's already learned about Nutrition, Calories, Fats, etc in Health class and we've eaten Organic and mostly Vegetarian since he was born, so he already understands things like moderation, portions, and balance. It doesn't mean he always follows them (as he's a tad underweight because he's 5'7 and just turned 13)...but I've always talked about things like health, sex, weight, bodies, hormones, sleep, exercise, mental illness, etc like an adult. I don't believe in talking down to children. It's about keeping it simple when they're young and keeping it interesting when they're older.

I think it's great for parents to give kids the tools to prevent things *before* they happen. Caloric intake is just one of many. I tell him all of the time that he needs to eat more calories to put on a few pounds for his health. Because he does. *shrugs* I see no issue.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Was meant to say 'Let alone' - not let stone.

I know you didn't say it was only way but you did seem to imply that by sayin No thanks, other people who do it other ways just gain it back (paraphrase)

I still think teaching children - preferably by example and role modelling as was said by others - about nutritious eating, portion sizes, active lifestyle is the way to go.

Teaching children calorie counting doesn't seem useful to me at all - it is something people will learn when/ if they need or want it.

Just like, using financial analogy, teaching about money, living within your means etc - Yes.

Teaching details of using a cheque book - No.

Because this is something many people never want or need to use

Could be a contributing factor why most in the US don't have near enough saved for retirement too. People may not have or use a 'physical" checkbook, but they still need to be able to monitor cash inflow and outflow.

Same with calories, may not need to count calories but need some method to manage weight, how belt/clothing fits as an example.

Well, yes, that was my point exactly - teach children about healthy food choices, portion sizes, encourage active lifestyle but teaching actual calorie counting- no, as they may never need or want to use that

Just as teaching about basic financial concepts and living within your means - but teaching actual cheque book use - no, as they will probably never use one.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Well that was just an example - a good one, I thought, since most people here do not have cheque books now.

And I wasn't talking any age in particular - I don't think it is constructive to teach calorie counting at any age just as a ' skill you will need in life'

I never said they would need it. I hope they don't. I don't regret anything I've learned whether I need that information or not.

I still use a check book, but I also balance my money online. I wouldn't be surprised if check books are a thing of the past when my kids are adults though.

I check my bank statements online, but how do you balance them online? Serious question.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. And to calibrate well their portions size.

America is fat. Too many of our kids are, unfortunately.

If a kid wasn't educated to eat well before 8, he/she will be fat.
  • Colt1835
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Well that was just an example - a good one, I thought, since most people here do not have cheque books now.

And I wasn't talking any age in particular - I don't think it is constructive to teach calorie counting at any age just as a ' skill you will need in life'

I never said they would need it. I hope they don't. I don't regret anything I've learned whether I need that information or not.

I still use a check book, but I also balance my money online. I wouldn't be surprised if check books are a thing of the past when my kids are adults though.

I check my bank statements online, but how do you balance them online? Serious question.
    I have multiple checking accounts and savings accounts that I use for different things. The bank website keeps up with my debit and credit transactions, but I move them around a lot so each account has the amount I want in it. I can log on at any time and look at what I've spent or move money from one account to another or pay bills.

Does your bank not have a website that lets you do that stuff?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

I have multiple checking accounts and savings accounts that I use for different things. The bank website keeps up with my debit and credit transactions, but I move them around a lot so each account has the amount I want in it. I can log on at any time and look at what I've spent or move money from one account to another or pay bills.

If someone uses checks, your on-line bank statement won't include any checks that were written and not cleared by the bank.

• Colt1835
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

If someone uses checks, your on-line bank statement won't include any checks that were written and not cleared by the bank.

I have one account that I use for checks. When I write one I move money from my main account to my check account. That way I can see how much I have in checks that haven't been processed and I see it as already gone from my main account.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yes, parents should teach their kids how to count calories. Just like they should teach their kids about proper nutrition and to be physically active. I don't think it should be mandatory that they weigh and log everything they eat, or to pump iron at the gym but it's an incredibly important and useful concept to understand and incorporate into their life. It's also important to be age appropriate as with anything we teach them.

Exactly how I feel. Anything you can teach your child will be useful. Or at least giving them the awareness about food being a fuel source and it being measurable will help them think more complex. You wouldnt have to force it on them but at least give them an awareness.
    Society in general is overweight and the sooner you can teach your kids about food and making right choices the better. I'm constantly in conversation about making healthy choices with my daughter. She's only 5 but I'm betting she knows more about food than the average adult. There's no way my daughter is eating crap. She reaches for veggies and that makes me happy. I saw overweight kids 5 yo with scrawny *kitten* parents how does that happen? Teach your kids everything, better they get it from you than anybody else!
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    My son is 16 and most days he runs a quick estimate in his head about his calories (using me as his database). He does it mainly because he is lifting and wants to bulk a bit so just makes sure he's had enough to eat.

Also he's been avoiding less nutritional foods since I got into mfp (without any interference from my side other than me being able to answer questions about nutrition)

Knowledge is power and freedom. Don't deprive your children of it.

• NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I think education is important and with the resources available online these days, kids can read anything (fact or made up by so-called 'experts') so it's better to educate them before they read something that demonises calories! Not just calories though, a basic knowledge of nutrition and health is important. I'm also against the use of sweets as reward treats i.e. 'clean your bedroom and I'll buy you some chocolate'. I think eating the sweet stuff should be incorporated into daily diets but not made into a special thing
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    What a calorie is, yes. I learnt that in school, with the science experiment where you burn a peanut to heat a small beaker of water.

But good nutrition should be taught separately. I worry when people jump on the counting bandwagon too young - I'm not convinced it's constructive.
    I like the hand approach - http://www.precisionnutrition.com/calorie-control-guide-infographic
  • kelleys333
    kelleys333 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No. They should be helped to recognize good nutrition and make healthy choices, but having children count calories is very triggering for individuals who have a biological predisposition for developing an eating disorder. Having a family member with anorexia who counts each and every calorie of her meager total intake is heartbreaking. It could happen to anybody.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    what I find funny about this debate is that at my age I did grow up in the era of "go outside and Play"...only eat when hungry, eat veggies and fruit...chips and dip were a once a week treat, no soda just milk and water. Ice cream only in a serving size etc.

Guess what I got fat...I stayed fat.

Teaching kids those things (not cico) do not guarantee anything.

Did you continue to follow what you had learned?

If not, then there is no reason teaching them cico will change anything if they also do not follow what they have learned.

teaching kids about healthy foods and "go outside and play" is only part of it...that's my point.

If they don't understand why then why would they follow it? and no I didn't...when I got grown up I tried counting calories but didn't understand it...I was eating 800 a day because I thought that was correct because I hadn't been taught about them...

And I knew what healthy food was but didn't mean I wanted it all the time...as an adult I ate what I wanted when I wanted...chips every night with dip or fast food etc...

even after I got fat and tried to lose weight not understanding CICO made it hard...hard to lose and when I did lose hard to keep it off...

Teaching the entire thing will give "kids" and us adults a better understanding.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    We teach our kids about balanced nutrition and proper serving size but no they don't count calories. My sister in law is a dietitian and bought us a set of plates that actually portion out where you put proteins, grains, fruit/veggies for a balanced plate so they see it at every meal.

Both of our kids though are active and there is no reason, in my opinion, for them (or most kids really) to worry about weight or counting calories. If they are getting enough activity and eating a balanced diet that is more important.