Weight gain always at 170-175lbs

Options
shannonbrewelch
shannonbrewelch Posts: 63 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So I am going insane for the past month. I am doing everything I am suppose to do, I lift 3 x week, with 10 minutes of HIIT before. Than 2 days a week I do low impact cardio for about 45 minutes. I am eating clean, and following all my macros for the day, which are below along with progress photos. But I have gone up 4 pounds! This is the heaviest I have ever been in my entire life. And my measurements are the same. I want to cry everyday. I feel so miserable all the time. Does anyone know what could be going on? Or felt this way?

I am 5'9, 175 pounds and 21 years old.

leb60um43mfr.png
h21qnb4x6bam.jpg
eddm56c7zho2.jpggqaxlam5kr88.jpg

Replies

• RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food?
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    How long have you been going?
    You look good in the pics. So don't get down on yourself
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    RubyLou25 wrote: »

This. And the gain is likely water weight fluctuation.

A couple of thoughts. It is not advisable to do HIIT and strength training on the same day if you are doing high intensity strength training. They both impact the Central Nervous System and too much at once is not good. Not saying that's causing this but it is possible that could be causing some inflammation based water retention.

How long have you been strength training? Is is a new routine that your body is adapting to? What is your calorie deficit. If it is 500 or less and your logging and measuring and weighing isn't spot on, you could be eating more that you think. In your macros, your protein looks a little high and your fats a little low. Protein should be around 1gr/ lb of lbm. Fats .35 to .4 per lb. Low fats can affect hormone balance. I don't think you are that low but maybe.
  • shannonbrewelch
    Options

I am. I have a good scale to make sure everything is where it should be.
  • shannonbrewelch
    Options
    rmgnow wrote: »
    How long have you been going?
    You look good in the pics. So don't get down on yourself

Thanks. Maybe it is hard to see my own progress.
  • shannonbrewelch
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

A couple of thoughts. It is not advisable to do HIIT and strength training on the same day if you are doing high intensity strength training. They both impact the Central Nervous System and too much at once is not good. Not saying that's causing this but it is possible that could be causing some inflammation based water retention.

How long have you been strength training? Is is a new routine that your body is adapting to? What is your calorie deficit. If it is 500 or less and your logging and measuring and weighing isn't spot on, you could be eating more that you think. In your macros, your protein looks a little high and your fats a little low. Protein should be around 1gr/ lb of lbm. Fats .35 to .4 per lb. Low fats can affect hormone balance. I don't think you are that low but maybe.

Would you recommend that I take out my HIIT on my strength training days and do HIIT instead of low intensity?

I have been doing consistent strength training the past 2-3 months, but I just increased from body weight/light weights to heavier weights in the past month, would that have an effect?

My calorie deficient set by my nutritionist is 325, but I can definitely increase my fat a little and lower my protein!

Thanks so much for reaching out!
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    First of all your just about 5-10 lbs off.
    Which is not a lot. You look like a strong girl.
    So buck up

Also I would try to go with full on cardio. Run run run.
    How many calories a day?
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    My calorie deficient set by my nutritionist is 325, but I can definitely increase my fat a little and lower my protein!

Your nutritionist has set you up for 2.6 lbs loss per month if you hit those goals. So keep in mind that having a big meal or even drinking 34 oz of water is 2.2 lbs, until those get flushed out of your system they could mask your monthly loss. If you are truely using a scale and counting everything properly, just keep the course and see how that long term trend takes you!

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    So buck up

How many calories a day?

Do not do give up your weight training. Resistance training in a deficit is how you keep muscle. If you go full out cardio you will start to lose muscle mass instead of mainly fat. You are doing the right thing exercise wise already.
  • shannonbrewelch
    Options
    So buck up

How many calories a day?

Do not do give up your weight training. Resistance training in a deficit is how you keep muscle. If you go full out cardio you will start to lose muscle mass instead of mainly fat. You are doing the right thing exercise wise already.

I agree, I want to stay muscular and toned. That is the goal, so I will have to keep up my strength training.
  • shannonbrewelch
    Options

Your nutritionist has set you up for 2.6 lbs loss per month if you hit those goals. So keep in mind that having a big meal or even drinking 34 oz of water is 2.2 lbs, until those get flushed out of your system they could mask your monthly loss. If you are truely using a scale and counting everything properly, just keep the course and see how that long term trend takes you!

I drink around a gallon of water a day, so I think you are right that I could be weighing the water as well.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    So buck up

How many calories a day?

Second this. Having an overall workout plan that includes both cardio and strength traiing is definitely a good idea.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Would you recommend that I take out my HIIT on my strength training days and do HIIT instead of low intensity?

I have been doing consistent strength training the past 2-3 months, but I just increased from body weight/light weights to heavier weights in the past month, would that have an effect?

Thanks so much for reaching out!

I would replace one or 2 of your low intensity steady state sessions with HIIT if you really want to do HIIT. HIIT is really for increasing VO2 max performance for the most part. If it is just overall fitness you want and calorie burning, HIIT's only advantage is time efficiency. 30 minutes HIIT + EPOC give about the same burn as 1 hour steady state + EPOC. I'd warm up with 10 minutes of low intensity cardio and have plenty of energy for lifting.

Going from body weight to heavy weights is going to cause water retention for muscle repair. It will normalize over time. But will definitely happen at first. It always surprises people! :)

Glad to be able to help!

A good thread and video that talks about how there is essentially no calorie burning advantage between the various forms of cardio. ( the video is 50 minutes so you may just want the summary but I enjoyed it. Brad is a very smart and knowledgeable guy)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10558471/brad-schoenfeld-facts-and-fallacies-of-fat-loss#latest