Ketogenic plan and cravings

Options
What do you do as a woman when you are craving carbs during that time of the month? I do keto for fat loss. Here are my macros: 30c/73f/99p. I NEVER meet or go above my fat macros. I stay within 30g of whole carbs and I ALWAYS meet my protein and Im continuously losing weight. Should I eat just a little more fat to satisfy my craving but stay within my fat limit? It's only for a few days.

Replies

• AishaBraziel
    AishaBraziel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    From what I understand about Keto, you should be eating more fats. There are a lot of " good fats" out there like avocado and really any fats from fish.
    Sounds like you're doing fine though. Another good sweet fat is some dark chocolate
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't do keto for weight loss. Do keto for cravings. Eat at the recommended calorie deficit for weight loss. You are eating 1173 calories per day - that's very specific - how did you get that number? And why don't you hit your fat goal?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm experimenting with fats for seemingly insatiable hunger... my fats are around 100g carbs at 70-80 and protein about 100g too. That seems like too low fat for that low carbs but I'm no expert on this. I'd try that first though. Up fats. Also I find that since I'm trying to get all this olive oil here and there I notice a lot of it is left in the cooking pan or salad bowl, you may be getting less than you think. To answer your original question I eat the chocolate. I'm not married to macros and I'm not going to eat peanut butter when I'm craving ice cream so there's that.
  • AishaBraziel
    Options
    I'm doing for weight loss not epilepsy where fat is encouraged. I have more than enough body fat to sustain me. I typically eat between 30-40g of fat a day, never hungry. I'll probably just up it about 10 more grams to counteract cravings.
    Don't do keto for weight loss. Do keto for cravings. Eat at the recommended calorie deficit for weight loss. You are eating 1173 calories per day - that's very specific - how did you get that number? And why don't you hit your fat goal?

I'm doing for weight loss not epilepsy where fat is encouraged. I have more than enough body fat to sustain me. I typically eat between 30-40g of fat a day, never hungry. I'll probably just up it about 10 more grams to counteract cravings.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Phatcat313 wrote: »
    What do you do as a woman when you are craving carbs during that time of the month? I do keto for fat loss. Here are my macros: 30c/73f/99p. I NEVER meet or go above my fat macros. I stay within 30g of whole carbs and I ALWAYS meet my protein and Im continuously losing weight. Should I eat just a little more fat to satisfy my craving but stay within my fat limit? It's only for a few days.

I'm a little confused about that because you say you're craving carbs but are wondering about increasing fat.

With keto, your fat goal is something you are supposed to hit, not stay under. Also, I see with keto 60-75% of calories (or even more) are supposed to come from fat. So your target macros are off.

Also, at 1173 calories unless you are very very short you are probably undereating. How tall are you and how many pounds do you want to lose?

Furthermore, many of us women find it helpful to eat at maintenance for a few days at our TOM. I feel that since metabolism and appetite is up, so should calories be.
  • AishaBraziel
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm a little confused about that because you say you're craving carbs but are wondering about increasing fat.

With keto, your fat goal is something you are supposed to hit, not stay under. Also, I see with keto 60-75% of calories (or even more) are supposed to come from fat. So your target macros are off.

Also, at 1173 calories unless you are very very short you are probably undereating. How tall are you and how many pounds do you want to lose?

Furthermore, many of us women find it helpful to eat at maintenance for a few days at our TOM. I feel that since metabolism and appetite is up, so should calories be.

No, to lose weight which I am doing continuously, eating less fat is the goal. Fat is a lever. Protein is always the goal to keep lean muscle mass. When I reach my maintenance weight, I will eat more fat but it will NEVER be more than my protein intake. The question was specifically about cravings. I'm only craving because of my hormones because of TOM. It seems no one can be helpful so I will just increase my electrolytes and fat a little bit. Thanks.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Yes, that's exactly what you should do. Carb cravings and feeling cold are both common signs you're not eating enough on a low carb diet - even in the absence of hunger - so you'll want to pay attention to these things.

It's ok to have low days and not meet your fat goal if you're truly not hungry but you need to balance those out by eating more when you are. It might be a good idea to average out your weekly or monthly calories just to be sure your calorie goal isn't consistently too low.

• AishaBraziel
    Options

Yes, that's exactly what you should do. Carb cravings and feeling cold are both common signs you're not eating enough on a low carb diet - even in the absence of hunger - so you'll want to pay attention to these things.

It's ok to have low days and not meet your fat goal if you're truly not hungry but you need to balance those out by eating more when you are. It might be a good idea to average out your weekly or monthly calories just to be sure your calorie goal isn't consistently too low.

Thanks!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

No, to lose weight which I am doing continuously, eating less fat is the goal. Fat is a lever. Protein is always the goal to keep lean muscle mass. When I reach my maintenance weight, I will eat more fat but it will NEVER be more than my protein intake. The question was specifically about cravings. I'm only craving because of my hormones because of TOM. It seems no one can be helpful so I will just increase my electrolytes and fat a little bit. Thanks.

you dont eat less fat to lose weight fat doesnt make you fat and with keto its supposed to be low carb high fat. to lose weight all thats needed is a caloric deficit. keto is not a special way to lose weight as you can also overeat on keto. if you are craving carbs many are telling you to increase fat which may or may not satiate you and help with cravings. not getting enough fat in keto/and not getting enough calories can make you want to eat more or crave certain foods. eat enough calories and get enough fat and see what happens.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the carb cravings that come early in a ketogenic,, or low carb, diet is due to low sodium. Low electrolytes can cause what feels like hunger too. Maybe make sure you are getting 3000-5000 mg of sodium per day. That's about 2 teaspoons of table salt.

There is no need to keep fat low. Fat does not inhibit weight loss. At all. As long as you are in a caloric deficit your fat can be higher. For example. I eat a ketogenic diet, and have for a few years, but my macros were 5C/20-25P/ 70-75F. Those are percentages. That was around 80g of protein and about 100-120g of fat. I ate 1400kcals per day and lost 30 lbs in 4 months, plus another 10 in another couple of months, and then I was at goal.

Going over protein in fat is fine as long as your protein is at a healthy level. :)

This is great advice.
  • AishaBraziel
    Options

you dont eat less fat to lose weight fat doesnt make you fat and with keto its supposed to be low carb high fat. to lose weight all thats needed is a caloric deficit. keto is not a special way to lose weight as you can also overeat on keto. if you are craving carbs many are telling you to increase fat which may or may not satiate you and help with cravings. not getting enough fat in keto/and not getting enough calories can make you want to eat more or crave certain foods. eat enough calories and get enough fat and see what happens.

I think you also missed that I said it's that time of the month. No matter what plan I have chosen in the past, I have always craved food. It's natural.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

Thanks!

You're welcome! Not many experienced low carbers read/post of the main forums but there is a knowledgeable and active low carb group here worth joining: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • czymom123
    czymom123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Your plan to use fat as a lever is spot on. It will help during your TOM. Cravings are mostly mental, but if you're actually hungry, cravings are way worse, so using fat to combat that is great. It sounds like you have been on the ketogains website! Good work.
  • AishaBraziel
    Options
    czymom123 wrote: »
    Your plan to use fat as a lever is spot on. It will help during your TOM. Cravings are mostly mental, but if you're actually hungry, cravings are way worse, so using fat to combat that is great. It sounds like you have been on the ketogains website! Good work.

Yes! They are the BEST! Thanks.
  • michelsakr
    michelsakr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    At this fat rate, this becomes a low carb and not Keto diet, eat healthy fats like nuts , olive and avocado oils, some cheese, and you should not carve.. I have a sweet tooth, but fir the last 2 weeks, never carved for a sweet, I feel now the sweetness of cauliflower and brocoli :) but if you carve try to sweeten tea or herbal drinks with stevia , also it can go atop white cheese and cheese .. etc
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Guess what? When I was doing it that way, I was getting fat until I did my own research, found a knowledgeable group, ketogains and I've been losing since. Sorry, you are wrong. Too much fat will in fact make you fat.

actually no it doesnt. unless it was making you go over your maintenance calories. it doesnt matter how you eat, if you arent in a deficit and in a surplus you will gain weight. its simple science. and keto is low carb high fat so how is it that people who do high fat in keto lose weight if all that fat makes you gain? simple,the DEFICIT!