Has anyone lost weight without going low carb?

Options
Hello all, I decided when I hit 301lbs at 20 yrs old (I'm 5'8) that it was time for me to lose weight. Fast forward 5 months later and I am now 245lbs. I feel the best I have ever felt in my own skin. I have 55lbs more to go. However, I recently started doing low carb (50 carbs or less). I still feel energized because I am very good at finding health alternatives to my favorite foods like pizza, tacos, fried chicken, etc. However, this low carb lifestyle is just becoming a huge headache and I'm finding it to be nearly inpossible for it to be a lifestyle I would maintain in the future. My fitness instructor recommended 50 grams or less so that I'll burn more fat but I dont know anymore.

So if anyone can offer advice or share you success stories of not going low carb it would be greatly appreciated! If you don't mind can you provide an estimate of how many grams you ate in a day? Thanks in advanced!

Replies

• Nmarine1996
    Nmarine1996 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thank you CmRiverside!! Truly inspiring!!!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,826 Member
    Options
    Even though the two years I am linking to represent the last 26 out of the 126 down, I think they prove conclusively that you don't **need** to restrict either carbs OR sugar in order to lose weight AND improve cholesterol AND A1C results from pretty **kitten** to normal...
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15FAp44ZZtjlhdX3x8CCg1kVsGBk14--8XGcAtzvLmc4/edit?usp=sharing
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    High Dairy & High Carb IS my diet. And it works fabulously.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    From your post, it sounds like you lost 56 pounds before you started doing low carb (on the advice of a fitness instructor who probably has zero education in nutrition).

But in case your own experience isn't evidence enough for you, I lost 15% of my bodyweight (30 pounds), which was more than my initial goal of 10% or 20 pounds) without limiting carbs in any way, other than not being able to eat so many that I would go over my calorie goal or not be able to fit in 80 g of protein and 50 g of fat (I usually got more of both, but those were my minimums at my starting weight).
  • Nmarine1996
    Options
    Lost 75 lbs eating whatever I wanted to within my caloric goal each day. Easy-peasy. :)

Congratulations!!!!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I've lost 75 pounds on a relatively high carb diet. My macros are 50c/30p/20f. Most of my carbs come from fruit, vegetables and whole grains.
  • Nmarine1996
    Options
    I apologize for the confusion!!!! Guys I lost 30 pounds without restricting carbs and 25lbs (since the middle of may) with retricting carbs. Sorry I know the 'recent' confused you all. So the results have proven to be faster with restricting my carbs but its still unstainable for me. Thank you guys so much for your wonderful replies!I just wanted to clear that up. I give major props for those who can maintain keto and atkins!
  • Nmarine1996
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I've lost 75 pounds on a relatively high carb diet. My macros are 50c/30p/20f. Most of my carbs come from fruit, vegetables and whole grains.

That is amazing!!!!