Has anyone lost weight without going low carb?

Options

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm moderate. About 130 grams. I never saw a need to go as low as 50.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    128lb lost and never really restricted my carbs, in fact I don't really bother with counting carbs at all, it's just protein I try and keep up at a certain level. I can't eat a lot of fat so if I don't eat carbs then I'd go hungry, looking back I average around 200g carbs a day, don't know if that's high, low, moderate or whatever.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    There's no earthly reason you would have to restrict carbs in order to lose weight. Unless you have a health issue like diabetes or you find it easier to eat within your calorie limit when cutting carbs, eat whatever makes you most satisfied.

Personally I find that refined sugars cause cravings, and as a diabetic I need to restrict carbs to the level my body can handle - max about 50g a meal. So I avoid carb-heavy foods. But I do eat enough carbs to fuel my workouts and replenish myself after workouts.
  • displaced1
    displaced1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    There are reasons to decrease carbs but it's very individual m. You should start to figure out for yourself what's best for you.

Low carb is great for people with diabetes or pre-diabetes. Some people feel "bad" with too many carbs, maybe tired. Some people feel other foods, like high fiber, proteins, fats, are more satisfying. Some people enjoy the variety of carbs in their diets.

For every person who succeeds in losing weight there is an individual story. I use tips from everything to experiment on myself. How do I feel doing X? Does it work for me? Do I like it? Is it sustainable?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!

But, I gotta say, I lost 125ish lbs and was soooooooo the opposite of low carb. Unless you have a medical reason for needing to be low carb, don't torture yourself.
  • faji2015
    faji2015 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs just by eating junk or whatever I liked. Staying under calorie level is all that matters.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I lost 74kg (or about 160 lbs, that's half my starting weight) on what i would call a relatively "hi carb" set meal plan, while doing exactly zero exercise for most part of that time. So around 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein.

Now, that i'm doing quite a bit of both strength training and cardio, i'm trying to keep my macros around 40/20/40 or 30/30/40 just to get enough protein within my calorie goal. And often i can't keep my carbs that low.

It is for sure individual, but i can't even imagine doing low carb, since when my carb % drops to anything below 30 i get all kinds of issues from killer headaches to crazy cravings, which usually end with binging :smile:

Bottom line- i am living example that it is very possible to lose quite a lot of weight without cutting carbs.
  • Nmarine1996
    Nmarine1996 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Congrats on your weight loss!

But, I gotta say, I lost 125ish lbs and was soooooooo the opposite of low carb. Unless you have a medical reason for needing to be low carb, don't torture yourself.

Thank you for your kindness!! Congrats on your loss as well.
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    27 kilos lost, no special care with carbs.

To lose weight you need to go low in carbs, fat and protein. In summary, low in calories :smile:

So, at least at the beginning, just focus in eating less, it will be easier than if you have to add the "of something" (so "eat less" is easier than "eat less of something").

Also declare an intermediate goal (like when you reached 50% of your Target weight) and start to care about the characteristics of what you eat.

It worked for me, that did not mean that it works for everybody, but at least it worked once :)
  • Nmarine1996
    Nmarine1996 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets where created by competition bodybuilders trying to get down to unhealthy body fat levels for a short period of time for competition. It was never meant to be sustainable.

Don't forget, Atkins also died young of a heart attack...

I lost 180lbs eating whole grain bread and fruit every day
    50c/30p/20f....

How I did it... I changed what I was eating, didn't snack between meals, or eat after 6p, walked every evening after dinner, lifted weights and eventually started running in the morning....

Your success will develop your madness

Wow that heart attack thing was just what I needed to hear! I am definitely going to go up in carbs!!!!!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Earlnababy, thank you for the reply. I don't think low carb is the only way to go. I just tend to go by what my fitness instructor says because hes the expert. However, I am slowly starting to realize that I am the only person that can truly determine whats right for my body.

This may have said already, but it bears repeating that, when it comes to giving diet advice, a fitness instructor is almost certainly NOT an "expert".