Please stop calling it a "cheat meal!"

Options
12346»

Replies

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    If you've committed yourself to a diet plan in order to lose weight and you decide to throw it aside for one meal/one day/whatever, then you have cheated on the diet plan, it's really that simple.

Who are you to decide the parameters of someone else's commitment? I decide what my rules are, and they don't preclude eating more for a particular meal or day or whatever. I don't call it cheating when I do it, because I don't have a rule against it.

I haven't decided the parameters of anything - commitment is a word with a definition that you can look up if you're not sure of the meaning.
    I said "IF you've committed..."
    If you haven't committed to it, then you can't expect much.
    Do half a job, expect half a result.
    Suck it up or stay fat.

Thanks, I met and surpassed my goal using my rules, not yours.

You have decided that a commitment to a diet plan precludes eating more for a meal/day/whatever -- you have a preconception of what a diet plan must be, and you label anyone who doesn't adhere to your conception a cheater and someone who will "stay fat."

Yep, totally... I must have missed all those diets out there that include cheat meals/days/etc in them!
    You missed mine. Plenty of cheat days. Did not stay fat. It's called moderation over the long term.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I don't call it a cheat meal because I don't think I have anything to cheat on. I'm not following a set of rules or a specific way of eating. I haven't made a promise to anyone. I'm just eating stuff, less than I was before. I eat different amounts every day and use a weekly calorie goal so I'm not even sure I could identify a "cheat" day - they all work out under the weekly goal in the end.

Your rule is to stay under your daily/weekly calories. What if it put you over, would it then be a cheat?

Not really. I'm choosing not to go over my calorie target, that's a neutral decision. If I choose to go over that's a neutral decision. Cheating to means getting something you don't deserve or winning by sort of sneaky means. I'm not cheating, the definition doesn't fit for me.

I like the way you expressed this. It gets to the heart of why the term is off putting for me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I don't call it a cheat meal because I don't think I have anything to cheat on. I'm not following a set of rules or a specific way of eating. I haven't made a promise to anyone. I'm just eating stuff, less than I was before. I eat different amounts every day and use a weekly calorie goal so I'm not even sure I could identify a "cheat" day - they all work out under the weekly goal in the end.

Your rule is to stay under your daily/weekly calories. What if it put you over, would it then be a cheat?

Not really. I'm choosing not to go over my calorie target, that's a neutral decision. If I choose to go over that's a neutral decision. Cheating to means getting something you don't deserve or winning by sort of sneaky means. I'm not cheating, the definition doesn't fit for me.

What I'm seeing is a language barrier... some of us want to use the given meaning of a word, and some want to attach their own meaning to it. ;)

You may well be right. The meaning of cheat is pretty well understood and, for many, has a negative connotation. Eg. cheating at a sport, cheating on your spouse, cheating in business. Personally, I'm not in favor of changing the meaning to eating more than your plan on a given day.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    If you've committed yourself to a diet plan in order to lose weight and you decide to throw it aside for one meal/one day/whatever, then you have cheated on the diet plan, it's really that simple.

Who are you to decide the parameters of someone else's commitment? I decide what my rules are, and they don't preclude eating more for a particular meal or day or whatever. I don't call it cheating when I do it, because I don't have a rule against it.

I haven't decided the parameters of anything - commitment is a word with a definition that you can look up if you're not sure of the meaning.
    I said "IF you've committed..."
    If you haven't committed to it, then you can't expect much.
    Do half a job, expect half a result.
    Suck it up or stay fat.

Thanks, I met and surpassed my goal using my rules, not yours.

You have decided that a commitment to a diet plan precludes eating more for a meal/day/whatever -- you have a preconception of what a diet plan must be, and you label anyone who doesn't adhere to your conception a cheater and someone who will "stay fat."

Yep, totally... I must have missed all those diets out there that include cheat meals/days/etc in them!

Yep, sure looks like you did.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,029 Member
    Options
    Well I didn't consider myself on a diet as such - because I ate any foods not to a specific diet plan - but yes, it included cheat (treat, whatever terminology) meals/ days/ vacation weeks of not logging and it worked fine.

So, yes, you missed mine too.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Who cares?
    Let people call it what they want it's their diet/lifestyle