Netflix Documentary "What the Health" by Kip Andersen

Options
goldthistime
goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
I just finished watching this (advocates veganism) and came here to see if there it has been discussed. I saw a few references but didn't want to hijack someone else's thread. Has anyone else watched this? My take away was that there were some interesting points but there were times when it felt as though Kip was purposely misrepresenting the facts (I thought he used the word "meat" when studies were specifically about "processed meat" for instance), cherry picking of studies, and tinfoil hat thinking (AHA, AMA etc are funded by pharmaceutical firms and meat/dairy farmers so cannot be trusted).

Yet, there were some things I'd like to follow up on in considering the kind of diet that will be the most healthful for me in the future. I'm frankly not willing to consider giving up meat/dairy at the present time because protein has such a big impact on my feelings of satiety, but perhaps by next year. Gives me some time to think about it.

Here's a youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjwefkc5lPE

Here's one viewpoint on the documentary:
http://www.healthline.com/health-news/documentary-details-largest-health-cover-up

I know there have been a wide variety of veganism threads already, but feel free to weigh in on the topic (i.e. is veganism the healthiest diet) even if you don't want to watch the documentary.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I didn't really address the rest of your post. I think that veganism like many diets can be healthy or unhealthy. I think that it takes research and understanding to be done right and ensure that you are getting a good nutritional profile from you diet, just like any diet.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    Here's another critical piece/podcast:
    https://vinnietortorich.com/2017/06/debunking-what-the-health-in-detail-episode-847/

I saw a couple posts here from people who watched the documentary and decided to try veganism. I didn't want to interrupt the threads to criticize this documentary but I also felt that the content should be viewed with a fair amount of skepticism.

Having said that, there were things that were presented that made me want to do more research, and even consider veganism in the future. If we don't get anyone taking the other side of the discussion, tomorrow if I have time I'll go back and try to make some notes.
  • macro4luv2
    macro4luv2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This documentary was as full of crap as processed food, I think most of the experts were actors. Diets are individual. I was done when they said sugar wasn't bad for you.....
  • goldthistime
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

"“Too-thin vegans are eating animal flesh after all: their own.” Protein starvation leads to self-cannibalization."

That's a great line.

Author(s) make a lot of good points. Although the argument that if we're going to be ethical we shouldn't eat plants either because they communicate, and that there are ground up insects in candy bars and other foods that a vegan might eat so they're not truly vegan anyway...not so persuasive.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

"“Too-thin vegans are eating animal flesh after all: their own.” Protein starvation leads to self-cannibalization."

That's a great line.

Author(s) make a lot of good points. Although the argument that if we're going to be ethical we shouldn't eat plants either because they communicate, and that there are ground up insects in candy bars and other foods that a vegan might eat so they're not truly vegan anyway...not so persuasive.

It's true though. To survive you have to kill something, be that animals, plants or fungi. Just because they don't have higher brain function like mammals doesn't mean your broccoli wasn't alive until it was cut out of the ground. They grow, eat, reproduce, react to the world around them in a way. There were three more things that make something alive we learned about in biology but it's been a while.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm several months into the process of transitioning to a whole foods, plant based diet and while I think there's definite health benefits to eating lots of veggies/fruit, beans, seeds and nuts etc, I also take these kinds of documentaries with a large dose of skepticism. I'm loosely following Dr. Fuhrman's plan, who advocates a whole foods, plant based diet, and even he acknowledges that there's no legitimate research currently available that proves a completely animal free diet is any healthier than one that still includes some meat.

And like Rainbowbow said-the term vegan is an ethical one and it goes way beyond food choices. Even if I get to the point where I'm completely plant based I'd never label myself a vegan because I don't have the ethical convictions that a vegan does in regards to animal welfare issues, (I grew up on a farm and have a different perspective on that whole topic). I'd just be someone that eats a plant based diet, no further labeling needed.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    McGreggor and others are animal rights activists disguised at people that care about your health. McGreggor even works for the Humane Society.
    They want the world to become vegetarians and will make up lies such as meat causes diabetes amd osteoporosis !!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Most documentaries are going to be biased. While many bring out great points of view and information for their agenda, many times they grossly exaggerate what they oppose.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    My "save the animals" argument has always been:

How many animals and trees die in order to plant vast food crops over huge areas of land? Never mind the pesticides which mess up the ecosystem in general, but how about all the ground dwelling creatures that are killed by modern farm machines and lack of habitat? I don't think anyones' hands are clean. If we eat, other things die to make that happen. We were given dominion over the animals of the earth. It's not a pretty story - but then humans are pretty awful in general.