need advise

Options
mjtaylor87
mjtaylor87 Posts: 242 Member
I am very happily married to my best friend. we will celebrate our 2 year wedding anniversary at the end of this month and have been together for 6 years. I have no doubt in my mind about him.

A couple of months ago i reconnected with an old friend. we were not actually a couple as much as just friends who would help scratch an itch, if you know what I mean. We were very good friends and felt very strongly for each other but never really worked out together. We recontacted on facebook because him and his wife were having some very big issues and they are the type of couple that air all their dirty laundry on facebook. SO i reached out so see if he needed some one to talk to.

I did this because when we first met and became friends i was married to my ex husband. No i did not cheat on my ex husband. My ex was verbally and mentally abusive and i feared things were about to take a turn to physically abusive. This friend noticed all of the signs of an abusive relationship and helped me to see that i deserved so much more and should be treated better. He was there for me through the whole thing. So when i saw they were having issues i stepped up to be the friend he was to me.

Over the last few months we have had off and on contact. Mostly when either his wife does something to make him mad or my husband does something to make me mad. We lean on each other a little because in both of our lives almost all of our friends are family and we find it is easier and safer to get these things off our chest and talk about things to some one that does not know our significant other.

The last two weeks have been hard on them and it seems that they are going to officially split up. Now we have both admitted that we will always have feelings for each other and he has said on countless occasions that if me and my husband ever split that he would leave his wife for me. I have no intention of ever being with him and i tell him that every time. My husband knows all about him and i always make sure to let him know when i have talked to him so he never feels like i am hiding anything.

He wants to meet with me. We have not been in the same room for about 6 years. I almost feel weird about it. he said it will just be eating and catching up. I fully intend to talk to my husband about it first to make sure he feels ok about it. I guess im just wanting some ones opinion on the situation. Im still uneasy about it and cant really pin point why.

Replies

• npbgrace5396
    npbgrace5396 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's as simple as it can be.... he wants you to cheat on your husband and he's made his intentions clear. You're already in an emotional grey area with him and if you're as happily married as you say you are, this wouldn't be a question to ask anyone. You like the attention.

Definitely this!
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    Ask yourself, would you be okay with your husband going and seeing his old flame Tiffany?

Who is TIffany? and actually yes. because i know he wouldnt do any thing.
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    You have a solemn duty to fulfil your marriage vows. Do not sin against God and your husband. Cut all ties with this man and focus on your life.

Your sky wizard has nothing to do with it.

Talk to your husband. But I agree with others that you're treading a slippery slope.

very well put and i am leaning toward not going at this point
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    mjtaylor87 wrote: »
    Ask yourself, would you be okay with your husband going and seeing his old flame Tiffany?

Everyone has an old flamed named Tiffany, and if they dont there's always a Tiffany out there looking for a new flame.
  • mjtaylor87
    Options

Everyone has an old flamed named Tiffany, and if they dont there's always a Tiffany out there looking for a new flame.

lol thats good. Ill have to remember that one. but i dont think he did .
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Your husband will be okay with this until he isn't. You and your old friend have feelings and will only be friends until you are something else. I think you are on a path that could get very complicated and rough. Not going to tell you what to do but it is time for you to decide what is important and has meaning in your life.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I had a not similar thing come up with a woman with whom I had attended high school 39 years ago. We had never had a relationship of any kind. Her life has turned out well and she lives on a productive ranch out in the big country of Texas. On facebook, she friended me a couple of years ago, caught me up on her family and farm animals, and invited my wife and I to vacation with her family at their ranch.

I tossed the question to my wife and let her decide. I've received neither a "yes" nor a "no", and it's been about two years and I don't really care one way or the other.

My advice is that you let your husband decide.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You say yourself you feel weird about going... that's your answer...
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Ask your husband what his opinion on it is.
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    why even ask here when you feel its wrong? i know why! youre bored with your marriage and want some excitement with no intentions of going through with it,

actually no im not bored with my marriage at all. and there is no reason to judge. if you dont like it dont comment :)

I love my husband and have no intention of ever "being" with this guy even if something ever happened between me and my husband.

Not looking for arguments just looking for constructive criticism.
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Ask your husband what his opinion on it is.

I agree and fully plan to do when he gets home. if he is not comfortable with it i will for sure not go.
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    I had a not similar thing come up with a woman with whom I had attended high school 39 years ago. We had never had a relationship of any kind. Her life has turned out well and she lives on a productive ranch out in the big country of Texas. On facebook, she friended me a couple of years ago, caught me up on her family and farm animals, and invited my wife and I to vacation with her family at their ranch.

I tossed the question to my wife and let her decide. I've received neither a "yes" nor a "no", and it's been about two years and I don't really care one way or the other.

My advice is that you let your husband decide.

Thank you I agree with that. Where as i do miss my friend i do not need to see him. We can still be friends from a far. but if my husband is comfortable with me going i would like to see him again. i would love for my husband to come with me but as we are on very odd shifts that is not a likely thing to happen :(
  • mjtaylor87
    Options
    I am very happily married to my best friend. we will celebrate our 2 year wedding anniversary at the end of this month and have been together for 6 years. I have no doubt in my mind about him.

A couple of months ago i reconnected with an old friend. we were not actually a couple as much as just friends who would help scratch an itch, if you know what I mean. We were very good friends and felt very strongly for each other but never really worked out together. We recontacted on facebook because him and his wife were having some very big issues and they are the type of couple that air all their dirty laundry on facebook. SO i reached out so see if he needed some one to talk to.

I did this because when we first met and became friends i was married to my ex husband. No i did not cheat on my ex husband. My ex was verbally and mentally abusive and i feared things were about to take a turn to physically abusive. This friend noticed all of the signs of an abusive relationship and helped me to see that i deserved so much more and should be treated better. He was there for me through the whole thing. So when i saw they were having issues i stepped up to be the friend he was to me.

Over the last few months we have had off and on contact. Mostly when either his wife does something to make him mad or my husband does something to make me mad. We lean on each other a little because in both of our lives almost all of our friends are family and we find it is easier and safer to get these things off our chest and talk about things to some one that does not know our significant other.

The last two weeks have been hard on them and it seems that they are going to officially split up. Now we have both admitted that we will always have feelings for each other and he has said on countless occasions that if me and my husband ever split that he would leave his wife for me. I have no intention of ever being with him and i tell him that every time. My husband knows all about him and i always make sure to let him know when i have talked to him so he never feels like i am hiding anything.

He wants to meet with me. We have not been in the same room for about 6 years. I almost feel weird about it. he said it will just be eating and catching up. I fully intend to talk to my husband about it first to make sure he feels ok about it. I guess im just wanting some ones opinion on the situation. Im still uneasy about it and cant really pin point why.

I'll be blunt, you're on the path to self destruction here. You can make up as many excuses as you please but deep down you already know this is bad business and to even entertain the thought of meeting him is walking right into the fire. You think just because your husband is aware, it's ok you're being honest and doing nothing wrong BUT what your hubby doesn't know, b/c you are in denial is that you have feelings for this guy and they are growing stronger and that's why you have a sick feeling. My biggest, biggest advice to you is not to disrespect your marriage by talking to someone who you're attracted to about your martial issues, that's what therapy is for. You will eventually form or strengthen the bond with this friend and distance yourself from your husband, there's also a term for this, emotional affair/cheating. If you are truely friends, there is no debt to pay, you don't owe him anything. Talk ok but when the conversation started to cross the line, you should have immediately cut it off. You're sacrificing your hubby, marriage for this guy, is it worth it? Sorry if I'm being blunt but it's the truth and if you can't see it, you are going to sabatoge your marriage and live with regret for many years to come. Also, the grass is not greener on the other side because you're already there.

Thank you for your honesty. :smile:
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

Then don't make him have doubts in his mind about you.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Then don't make him have doubts in his mind about you.

giphy.gif