BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I watched the first 2 mins and that was enough lol
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    macro4luv2 wrote: »
    macro4luv2 wrote: »
    This documentary was as full of crap as processed food, I think most of the experts were actors. Diets are individual. I was done when they said sugar wasn't bad for you.....

Is sugar bad for you? You must have been watching the other netflix documentaries as well.

I'll clear that up... Processed sugar is bad for you. I do watch other netflix docs. and some are better than others...... lol

I didn't need it cleared up, and "processed sugar" (i.e. SUGAR) isn't bad for you in and of itself.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    BWA468 wrote: »
    I watched the first 2 mins and that was enough lol

Which is what any intelligent person would do. So many lies from people that just want to save animals at all costs.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Here's one of the statements made in the video that I'd like to examine. It was made by Michael Greger at just past 14minutes in.

"When we eat these kind of dead meat bacteria toxins, within minutes we get this burst of inflammation within your system such that you basically paralyze your arteries...get this stiffening in the arteries...their inability to relax normally in half. So it's not like decades down the road eating unhealthy there'll be some damage, no we're talking damage right then and there within minutes of it going into our mouth."

It caught my attention because my husband has a strange reaction to beef and perhaps other sources of saturated fat, his blood pressure goes up. He's an odd duck because he's got a reasonably low bf%, very fit, very rarely stressed, but fights high blood pressure. Both his parents started taking blood pressure medication around his age, so there's definitely a genetic component.

Anyone know if there is any validity whatsoever to Greger's statement, even if only for a small percentage of the population?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Here's one of the statements made in the video that I'd like to examine. It was made by Michael Greger at just past 14minutes in.

"When we eat these kind of dead meat bacteria toxins, within minutes we get this burst of inflammation within your system such that you basically paralyze your arteries...get this stiffening in the arteries...their inability to relax normally in half. So it's not like decades down the road eating unhealthy there'll be some damage, no we're talking damage right then and there within minutes of it going into our mouth."

It caught my attention because my husband has a strange reaction to beef and perhaps other sources of saturated fat, his blood pressure goes up. He's an odd duck because he's got a reasonably low bf%, very fit, very rarely stressed, but fights high blood pressure. Both his parents started taking blood pressure medication around his age, so there's definitely a genetic component.

Anyone know if there is any validity whatsoever to Greger's statement, even if only for a small percentage of the population?

I'm going to say no.

Although I think some people are especially sensitive to cholesterol and saturated fats which mean they're at high risk for high blood pressure, coronary heart disease, heart attack, and stroke.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options

Why don't you guys do the experiment? Go plant-based for a year and let us know how his numbers do. (?) I mean, in the end it doesn't matter what anyone else says. If he has noticeable health issues, it makes sense to stop eating whatever-it-is that may be causing it, yes?
  • goldthistime
    edited July 2017
    Options

Why don't you guys do the experiment? Go plant-based for a year and let us know how his numbers do. (?) I mean, in the end it doesn't matter what anyone else says. If he has noticeable health issues, it makes sense to stop eating whatever-it-is that may be causing it, yes?

He did this experiment about five years ago. He wasn't monitoring his blood pressure then so we didn't get instant feedback, but he brought his cholesterol numbers way down. He followed Esselstyne's advice in Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, basically a low fat vegan diet. But he also lost weight. I argued that it may well have been the weight loss that brought about the better numbers, that it didn't prove it was the diet per se.

We reintroduced meat. His cholesterol numbers went up a little but his weight also went up a little. His weight gain may well have happened without reintroducing meat, his weight drop had been a little extreme. We're still experimenting. Obviously medication is an option and perhaps an eventuality but he would prefer to delay taking them.

ETA He just recently stopped eating beef. We saw the association between eating beef and higher BP maybe 4 or 5 times. Not enough that we could be positive it wasn't just coincidence, but enough that he's done experimenting with beef. He's still eating chicken.
  • FitWonderChick
    FitWonderChick Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I watched 'What the Health' last night. A lot of what they're saying makes sense about processed foods, and additives and sick animals that people eat (doesn't sound great). What I don't really get is their alternative plan. Simply stating to eat veggies and plants didn't educate me so I know what to eat and how to do it. I would like their to be a more in depth analysis on food they are promoting, and maybe meal plans for health advocates to try. If it isn't impossible or leave me starving I'd be willing to try it. Not sure how I feel accept, very guilty. I was vegetarian for 2 years a long time ago, just because I love animals. I felt weak and tired all the time so I stopped when my hair started falling out (but that's just me!). We need solutions presented along with the problems and less catchy answers like "eat plants!"
  • goldthistime
    Options
    It seems that the study linked below forms the basis of Greger's statement/theory. From the abstract of this study:

"The ingestion of fatty meals is associated with a transient, low-grade systemic inflammatory response in human subjects, involving the activation of circulating monocytes and the secretion of pro-inflammatory cytokines. However, it is not yet clear how different foodstuffs may promote inflammatory signalling...In conclusion, apparently unspoiled foodstuffs can contain large quantities of stimulants of TLR2 and TLR4, both of which may regulate their capacity to stimulate inflammatory signalling."

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/british-journal-of-nutrition/article/capacity-of-foodstuffs-to-induce-innate-immune-activation-of-human-monocytes-in-vitro-is-dependent-on-food-content-of-stimulants-of-tolllike-receptors-2-and-4/D718D5E9F16F2F9E4075D32373C874BA

My take on it at this point in time is in line with Rainbowbow's post. He (my husband) is probably sensitive to sat fats. The theory that the presence of food borne bacteria exacerbates the inflammatory response is just a theory. If so, chicken breast, which is relatively low in sat fats but, imo, has more opportunity to carry bacteria (campylobacter I'm looking at you), should elevate his blood pressure as much as beef does.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I live on the prairies. The most stable ecosystem is the one that was here before the ranches and the farms. This means mixed grasslands with huge roaming herds of buffalo, large predators and massive flocks of passenger pigeons obscuring the sun.

A vegan prairie is not healthy prairie. It's a few monoculture cereal crops. Not terribly sustainable.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Ooooh another Netflix food documentary! Yay lol
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I tried watching it but there wasn't one single zombie or car chase.

7 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

You need to keep watching. The zombies AND car chases are much later.

vegan zombies? ( we're safe from them, right? )

.... driving hybrids and electric cars?

That would depend: Do you have a real brain, or an imitation brain (perhaps TVP)?

You obviously have never seen a vegan zombie drive a stick shift!