Things You Want To Tell MFP Newbies

kristikitter
kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
We see a lot of new posts positing the same kinds of questions... so what would you want to tell MFP newbies to help them before they start posting?

Mine would be:

- Read the stickies!!
- Weight gone up from one day to the next? It's probably water retention
- Give your new lifestyle a month, not just a week - if you REALLY haven't lost anything then ask for advice
- You're not gaining muscle on 1,200cals and 2 sessions of C25k
- Nope.
- Nope, I guarantee you're not.
- And again - nope, you're really not.
- Those shakes aren't going to work
- Neither are those teas

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    "I'm not losing weight" means that you have lost 0 pounds. Not 2 or 3 or 5. Zero.

That one. Big time.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    So you want to know whether you should eat back your exercise calories? Read this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited July 2017
    Exercise doesn't automatically equal weight loss. Exactly how many calories are you are eating?

A person doesn't stay at one specific weight. Our *water weight* fluctuates constantly, up to 5 lbs or more in a day. It isn't fat, and it doesn't need to be "fixed".
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    I guess you could go with "I'm working on setting this fat loose."
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Sorry, that was just BITCHY.

It takes time to build a good relationship with yourself in regards to food and fitness. It takes more time for some than others.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    They should read the below thread by @diannethegeek , simply because she compiled a thread with a bunch of great links from all the common questions that we see over and over in the forums. Advanced forum users might request the list of how many different variations she compiled as to what forum members consider "clean eating".

I like old posts and I cannot lie