Any KETO's out there?

Options
wavesleah
wavesleah Posts: 16 Member
Looking to add fellow LCHF lifestylers!
Support & motivation, discussions and of course share meal inspirations.

Love to all

Replies

• herzvonmir07
    herzvonmir07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am!
  • Maggie_May9010
    Maggie_May9010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, how long you've been on this plan? Is it effective for weight loss?
  • wakigrl
    wakigrl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm here!
  • pamache1
    pamache1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can't seem to get to Ketosis after 30 days..
    Smh..
  • otropobremas
    otropobremas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! New to it, started yesterday. Feels dreadful so far lol
    I hope i'll get used to it eventually!
  • Stukowa
    Stukowa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    30 days in! It's amazing how much better I feel with Keto :) greetings from NY
  • mirandaworkout
    mirandaworkout Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, how long you've been on this plan? Is it effective for weight loss?

would love to know this too
  • jarrodbolus
    jarrodbolus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, from what I've read and studied, it is Not a weight loss diet. It was a diet designed to fight cancer, very successful in its goal. It's a high fat low carb moderate protein diet and the idea behind it is to starve cancer cells of their "favorite" nutrients, Carbs. They also need proteins. My opinion is this is a great diet for active people who want to cleanse for a period of time but I don't think it is a sustainable diet for weight loss. Just my opinion. I'm no expert.
  • Colectable93
    Colectable93 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started Atkins induction 3 weeks ago , first two weeks were actual carbs not net carbs , week 3 and 4 are net carbs then I will add carbs from there as long as I stay in Ketosis. I do aqua exercises 3-4 days a week and still watch my calories . I have lost 27inches total and 15 pds. 54 years old , 5'3" now at 237 pds . Just so you have a general idea of my stats
  • MandaPanda0690
    MandaPanda0690 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For those who it doesn't seem to work for, are you making sure to meet all of your macros daily? You should make sure your carbs are 5%, your protein is around 25%, and fat around 70% of your caloric intake. It can be hard, I struggle with eating enough since the increased fat fills me up so quickly and for longer periods, but it is super important you eat enough.

Also, it can be a weight loss diet. I personally have some close friends not to mention countless success stories on Reddit (/r/keto) or YouTube that have dropped massive amounts of body fat. It is also a great diet for reversing pre-diabetes or full blown type two since your blood sugar doesn't spike which gives your pancreas a break.

Pre-diabetes is why I chose to start this diet. I've only been on it about a week, but noticed the first benefit I'm experiencing is my adult acne is almost completely gone. I also don't have mood swings like before, which is really nice. I'm experiencing symptoms of the "keto flu " like fatigue and occasional nausea (I have to focus on the fact that this too shall pass). Other than that I'm doing well. Oh, I also dropped about 5lbs water weight already and no longer have daily swollen ankles.
  • rivky66
    rivky66 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For those who it doesn't seem to work for, are you making sure to meet all of your macros daily? You should make sure your carbs are 5%, your protein is around 25%, and fat around 70% of your caloric intake. It can be hard, I struggle with eating enough since the increased fat fills me up so quickly and for longer periods, but it is super important you eat enough.

Also, it can be a weight loss diet. I personally have some close friends not to mention countless success stories on Reddit (/r/keto) or YouTube that have dropped massive amounts of body fat. It is also a great diet for reversing pre-diabetes or full blown type two since your blood sugar doesn't spike which gives your pancreas a break.

Pre-diabetes is why I chose to start this diet. I've only been on it about a week, but noticed the first benefit I'm experiencing is my adult acne is almost completely gone. I also don't have mood swings like before, which is really nice. I'm experiencing symptoms of the "keto flu " like fatigue and occasional nausea (I have to focus on the fact that this too shall pass). Other than that I'm doing well. Oh, I also dropped about 5lbs water weight already and no longer have daily swollen ankles.

How do I eat all that protien? I set my macros this way and can't seem to meet it...
  • MandaPanda0690
    MandaPanda0690 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    rivky66 wrote: »
    How do I eat all that protien? I set my macros this way and can't seem to meet it...

I make a morning spinach protein shake. Chicken breast is really high in protein. Maybe top a salad with chia or hemp seeds. You can snack on a handful of nuts, a couple boiled eggs, or s string cheese. I like to get sliced ham or turkey from the deli (fresh sliced tastes the best) and roll them up with cheese. I would research high protein low carb food ideas to help you get what you need.

Also, if you can't meet your macros, you may need to lower your overall calorie allowance. I started out with 1900 a day, but after a few days of not meeting my macros and feeling sick like I'm over eating I changed mine to 1700. I can actually handle it now.

• den282
    den282 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello

This is one of my favourite meals. I usually cook it the start of the week and eat it for lunches. I quarter it instead of 6 servings

https://www.ruled.me/buffalo-chicken-jalapeno-popper-casserole/

• JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Maintain a calorie deficit each day and it does not matter what your macros are, you will still lose weight. This is a biological certianly for humans. I find this is the easiest way for people new to the life to get into a rhythm and enjoy success.

People can naturally complicate matters extensively with fad diets, and there are plenty of them out there (Keto, Mediterranean, Paleo, Zone, Volumetric, etc. etc.) but the truth is none of these are needed to lose weight. The people that are successful with them are only successful because they are conducted in such a way that they allow for a calorie deficit. More important than some fad is that you select food that allows you to facilitate change on a permanent basis, and allows for a consistent calorie deficit so weight loss can occur. People are free to turn their life upside down with some diet trend if they like, but they would be needlessly punishing themselves. There is simply no need to make things more complicated than they have to be.
  • freemc
    freemc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maintain a calorie deficit each day and it does not matter what your macros are, you will still lose weight. This is a biological certianly for humans. I find this is the easiest way for people new to the life to get into a rhythm and enjoy success.

People can naturally complicate matters extensively with fad diets, and there are plenty of them out there (Keto, Mediterranean, Paleo, Zone, Volumetric, etc. etc.) but the truth is none of these are needed to lose weight. The people that are successful with them are only successful because they are conducted in such a way that they allow for a calorie deficit. More important than some fad is that you select food that allows you to facilitate change on a permanent basis, and allows for a consistent calorie deficit so weight loss can occur. People are free to turn their life upside down with some diet trend if they like, but they would be needlessly punishing themselves. There is simply no need to make things more complicated than they have to be.

I have been on the diet since Apr. Yes u r correct, it has decrease calorie intake. However, the difference in the food works best for me. Losing breads potatoes etc was easlier that giving up my meat. So for me, this is a doable way of dieting. I am to the 3rd phase where i am increase my carb intake to find my magic number to maintain my wgt loss. Counting the macros helps me understand more about the food i am eating. So for me this is my diet of chpice.
    So it all comes down to personal preferences. However u r correct. They all rely on decrease caloric intake.
  • Steveheikkila
    Steveheikkila Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just began keto recently. Not a lot of insights just yet, obviously. I'm a Type 2 Diabetic, so I was already eating pretty low carb (90 - 125g/day). So the carb at adjustment hasn't been a big deal for me (although 30g is quite a reduction!). My issues so far seem to be: 1) it's a lot more protein than I'm used to. Have trouble hitting the numbers. And 2) I have trouble getting a decent amount of fiber. But again, it's very early in the game. Interested in learning how others manage this.
  • bos_limelight
    bos_limelight Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Where can I find a good example of the Keto diet? There's so many sources out there.
  • DoctorAyla
    DoctorAyla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have followed keto for a while as it generally makes me feel better to not eat things like bread or pasta, but without counting the calories. Now I'm actually looking to lose some weight so I'm hoping it's doable. :)
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    freemc wrote: »

I have been on the diet since Apr. Yes u r correct, it has decrease calorie intake. However, the difference in the food works best for me. Losing breads potatoes etc was easlier that giving up my meat. So for me, this is a doable way of dieting. I am to the 3rd phase where i am increase my carb intake to find my magic number to maintain my wgt loss. Counting the macros helps me understand more about the food i am eating. So for me this is my diet of chpice.
    So it all comes down to personal preferences. However u r correct. They all rely on decrease caloric intake.

I am all for any nutritional plan that allows for a people to consistently stay in a calorie deficit, and if Keto is an easy way to some people to accomplish this, then all the better and more power to them.

However, people should also be aware of the truth, which is that their weight loss has zero to do with Keto and everything to do with their being in a deficit. There are actually people out there that believe their fad diet is the cause of their weight loss, which is simply false, and false information does not help anyone. Keto, or any other diet for that matter, is only successful insofar as it allows for adaquate caloric restriction.