Has anyone lost weight without going low carb?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Mentiri
    Mentiri Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds altogether and never gave up my beloved carbs! I've kept the weight off for a year and a half so far without any trouble, too. It really is as simple as burning more calories than you eat, at least for me. As long as I keep my activity level up and eat a balanced diet (I'm vegetarian, not that it matters) my weight takes care of itself. Just keeping to my calorie goal seems to work just fine.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Even though Dr.Atkins proven to not die of heart attack due to low carb, this thread has truly opened my eyes. This under 50 carbs a day is not sustainable. Maybe under 100 or less?

Why even worry about them? Eat the foods that will satisfy you within your calorie limit. There is no magic carb number.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    3+ years lchf and 96lbs down. However... agree that the weightloss is about eating at a deficit. More important is eating that is healthy for you and that's a personal choice. It has to work for you and be sustainable. That's the success factor.
    Personally I know that the moment I start eating bread, ice cream, pasta etc I get out of control... eating lchf keeps me in control.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight on a moderate to high carb count (150-350 grams of carbs, I don't cap them to a certain amount and just let them fall where they may while making sure I get a reasonable amount of protein). Low carbing may feel easier to some, but not to all, and is not an absolute necessity for weight loss.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    atjays wrote: »
    You don't have to go low carb to lose weight. It's just one method that appeals to lots of people because it allows them to eat high fat foods that taste good instead of eating rabbit food all day like most diets offer. It also comes with the added luxury of not having to work out. let's be honest, everyone wants their weight loss as easily as they can get it. It's good that you recognize that your current diet isn't sustainable, it's not cut out for everyone. If I were you, maybe look into keeping carbs somewhat restricted but allowing yourself say 100g carbs a day. That should greatly increase your food choices and leave plenty of room to mix your cravings into your diet. It's personally how I diet. I'm able to mix in burgers, tacos, ice cream and the like (reasonably portioned) to my daily meals which leaves little to crave elsewhere.

I don't low carb and I don't rabbit food. Well I salad and veg because I like salad and veg but I eat high fat foods too. It doesn't have to be that extreme.

Exactly! And I find this whole assertion sometimes silly that low carb allows for more variety. I eat burger (WITH THE BUN), tacos, ice cream PLUS mashed potatoes, pizza, french fries, pasta, rice, and more. I am partial to my rabbit food because I like it, but that doesn't limit my food variety. I mean even 500 calories of vegetables (and that a LOT of vegetables) leave plenty of room for many other food items.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Yes. Never was concerned with carbs in my diet
  • Nmarine1996
    Nmarine1996 Posts: 166 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Even though Dr.Atkins proven to not die of heart attack due to low carb, this thread has truly opened my eyes. This under 50 carbs a day is not sustainable. Maybe under 100 or less?

Why even worry about them? Eat the foods that will satisfy you within your calorie limit. There is no magic carb number.

I worry about them or else I will go overboard. Counting calories and to a certain extent counting macros works for me. I just need to figure out how much I am going to allow myself. I know myself and I need some sort of restriction of them or ill go back into old habits. Thanks for the response :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    atjays wrote: »
    You don't have to go low carb to lose weight. It's just one method that appeals to lots of people because it allows them to eat high fat foods that taste good instead of eating rabbit food all day like most diets offer. It also comes with the added luxury of not having to work out. let's be honest, everyone wants their weight loss as easily as they can get it. It's good that you recognize that your current diet isn't sustainable, it's not cut out for everyone. If I were you, maybe look into keeping carbs somewhat restricted but allowing yourself say 100g carbs a day. That should greatly increase your food choices and leave plenty of room to mix your cravings into your diet. It's personally how I diet. I'm able to mix in burgers, tacos, ice cream and the like (reasonably portioned) to my daily meals which leaves little to crave elsewhere.

I don't low carb and I don't rabbit food. Well I salad and veg because I like salad and veg but I eat high fat foods too. It doesn't have to be that extreme.

Exactly! And I find this whole assertion sometimes silly that low carb allows for more variety. I eat burger (WITH THE BUN), tacos, ice cream PLUS mashed potatoes, pizza, french fries, pasta, rice, and more. I am partial to my rabbit food because I like it, but that doesn't limit my food variety. I mean even 500 calories of vegetables (and that a LOT of vegetables) leave plenty of room for many other food items.

To the point of variety, the assumption that all people even like those fatty foods is false.

Even if my medical status were such that I could eat a higher fat diet, I wouldn't want to. I don't particularly like how heavily fatty foods sit in the belly. I'm fine with small amounts of things like avocado and nuts, but lashings of cream and butter were never my thing. I never liked fatty cuts of meat when I used to eat meat (unless you count salmon).

The other point I'd like to make is that people eating either LCHF or keto should most definitely be eating plenty of rabbit food. Most of their low carb intake would come from fibrous veggies, I'd think. That's the very definition of rabbit food.
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've lost 96 lbs without paying attention to carbs.
  • infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds and have never even thought about going low-carb.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've los 50lbs, been maintaining the loss for over 4 years, and I eat a higher carb diet (today I'll easily hit over 200g). Weight loss/weight gain/weight maintenance is about calories, not macros.
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did that in 2014 while prepping for a competition, my strength coach had me on I believe it was 250 carbs daily and I was getting leaner by the week. In my opinion you should keep your carbs as high as possible while dieting down and cutting body fat. When you get stuck and weight loss stalls gradually decrease the carbs to get your body to start burning fat again. Carbs make life more enjoyable so why cut them or lower them drastically when you can enjoy them and still accomplish your weight loss goals. :smiley: