Weightlifting body or marathon body

Options

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it. We all have our own preference. I also find runners bodies to be a little boring, as in I don't want one and I am not attracted to it. But I appreciate the fitness aspect and hard work they do( *kitten*, running is hard)
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    When I hear someone comparing "runner body" and "weightlifting body" I often wonder if they are making their judgement based on elite ultra marathoners does that mean the body they want is of an elite bodybuilder?

a384_coleman.jpg
    6d86a7b7-8bcf-433e-b941-6c40d6481c1a.jpg?v=358761683

There are runners that don't look like the typical elite marathoner and lifters that don't look like the typical instagram lifting enthusiast?
    Harry-Judd-marathon.jpg
    indr-4.jpg

Runners can build muscle, but some choose not to because being lighter helps with running long distances. Lifters can range from skinny to obese, but some choose a particular look either for the look or for their chosen competition weight category/some competitions requiring a level of leanness.

Love the extreme examples. Like they are supposed to prove a point or something
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    When I hear someone comparing "runner body" and "weightlifting body" I often wonder if they are making their judgement based on elite ultra marathoners does that mean the body they want is of an elite bodybuilder?

a384_coleman.jpg

There are runners that don't look like the typical elite marathoner and lifters that don't look like the typical instagram lifting enthusiast?
    Harry-Judd-marathon.jpg
    indr-4.jpg

Runners can build muscle, but some choose not to because being lighter helps with running long distances. Lifters can range from skinny to obese, but some choose a particular look either for the look or for their chosen competition weight category/some competitions requiring a level of leanness.

Love the extreme examples. Like they are supposed to prove a point or something

Exactly! Comparing extremes and generalizing them as "the look" is misleading.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

a384_coleman.jpg

Harry-Judd-marathon.jpg
    indr-4.jpg

Third picture is a pop star. So neither a runner nor a lifter.

Edit: I say neither as in a professional/elite capacity.
  • ksamp39
    ksamp39 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have what you would describe as a typical long distance runners body, very lean chest like I had in my teens and a flat bum.i have also tried the gym body and hated it.wide hips a bubble butt and no thigh gap were so alien to me my performance and self confidence dropped and I reverted back.how ever I like that look on others and appreciate the hard work that it also involves, it's just not for me .would like to add though I've not had a shortage of fans ;) someone for everyone x
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    So a friend of mine last night, during a discussion on the gym, told me he didn't like bodies of runners. He said he felt that they weren't attractive. I was slightly astonished by him saying this. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but i think he is being a bit of a "body shamer". I think most people lift or run because they love to lift and run. On the other hand, I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. Meh, i just slightly annoyed with his comments.

Unless it was an unsolicited comment directed toward someone specific, I wouldn't consider it "body shaming." Stating an aesthetic preference in the course of a conversation is quite normal. I've had lots of those. I also agree with many others who say that there are a multitude of body types that fall under the categories of "runner" and "weightlifter." Personally, my aesthetic preferences follow a moderate approach - extremes on either side don't appeal to me.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    When I think "runner's body," I think VERY lean and "under muscled." I wouldn't prefer this look for myself MOSTLY due to the fact that I'm not "naturally" built like this...and I wouldn't look like myself.

I'm starting to cross over to the other end of the spectrum: the "powerlifter's body" (which means big and thick to me). Eh, I've had people tell me to not get "too big." I wasn't offended, b/c what does "too big" even mean? "Too big" is subjective. It's all subjective.
  • Squatsandbench
    Squatsandbench Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments - I was probably slightly on the overly-sensitive side. He is a massive arrogant meat head which is probably why it annoyed me. He won - ha.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I guess it'd be a different thing if he tried to state it as a fact rather than just his opinion. I generally don't find the bodies of powerlifting men to be attractive; but I know for a fact that they're hot as hell to someone else.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    A friend of mine was a competitive bodybuilder and rather famous (like magazine cover famous).
    This guy was huge, and cut ... but huuuge. ( think like jay cutler big )

anyway, I asked him: Jeez, you're mammoth, what do women think about your build?

his reply was telling; it was: A lot of women are completely repulsed by it and a few women really dig it. I only worry about the women who dig it. There's enough of them to go around.

Good thing that most people don't get into competitive life-consuming sports mainly to attract the opposite sex.

right?

That wasn't his goal from the beginning either.

We were teammates and he broke his arm in the offseason. He kicked football to the curb and starting lifting full tilt. He was gifted with amazing genetics, proportions and symmetry and it just took off from there.

Flash forward a few years and he's one of Joe Weider's boys.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Screw him. I run, but definitely do not have a runners body. I also lift. I really have more of a gymnasts body in progress :) !My legs are larger and more muscular than most women's and I used to obsess about them and try to hide them. My trainer helped me embrace them and now I just want to make them as strong as possible.

Some jerk at the gym commented on what I was deadlifting, then said to me, "You know you have guys legs? And if you keep lifting like that, they will get bigger." Luckily, I was mentally sharp at that moment and replied, "If you lifted heavy, you could have guys legs too."

What a pinhead. I do not care what anyone thinks about my body, except me. It has taken me 47 years to get here, but I am working to become as genetically fit as possible. Screw everyone who is a hater. LOL!

Hi.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    lol
  • CornflakeGirl01
    CornflakeGirl01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi! ROFL
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
  • CornflakeGirl01
    CornflakeGirl01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    not at all! I am just very blunt. Damn INTJ personality...I can't help it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Screw him. I run, but definitely do not have a runners body. I also lift. I really have more of a gymnasts body in progress :) !My legs are larger and more muscular than most women's and I used to obsess about them and try to hide them. My trainer helped me embrace them and now I just want to make them as strong as possible.

Some jerk at the gym commented on what I was deadlifting, then said to me, "You know you have guys legs? And if you keep lifting like that, they will get bigger." Luckily, I was mentally sharp at that moment and replied, "If you lifted heavy, you could have guys legs too."

What a pinhead. I do not care what anyone thinks about my body, except me. It has taken me 47 years to get here, but I am working to become as genetically fit as possible. Screw everyone who is a hater. LOL!

Why is he, or anyone else for that matter, a pinhead for expressing a preferred aesthetic. It's not like saying you like a swimmers body is saying all other body types are gross and unattractive. Just that you like that particular physical aesthetic. I have a huge backside, it's fine for people to not be into the current bubble butt trend. It's nothing to be insulted about.