At how many pounds lost do you start seeing loose skin?

Options
I am just curious. Loose skin has always been a fear of mine, but not large enough to make me stop losing weight. I'm at almost 60 pounds lost and have no signs of it yet but I was wondering if I should of seen some by now? I know I sound silly, I just can't help but wonder if I'll avoid alot of loose skin or I haven't lost enough to see it yet.

Replies

• SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I think how much you have to lose factors in. I'm at about 60% of my intended 90-100 pound loss and I started seeing loose skin about five pounds ago. I don't mind. It actually makes me smile to see my progress in physical form.
  • Nmarine1996
    Nmarine1996 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think how much you have to lose factors in. I'm at about 60% of my intended 90-100 pound loss and I started seeing loose skin about five pounds ago. I don't mind. It actually makes me smile to see my progress in physical form.

Loose skin definitely shows all the hard work you put in!! I am still a little scared.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs and never had loose skin.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    60 down 20 to go. None so far. Genetics will mostly be the dictator. And how long you were your biggest. I didn't spend much time at my highest weight so I think that's a factor too.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Some people never get the loose skin. It maybe a genetics thing it maybe a diet and workout thing.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Some people aren't even very big yet have loose skin,I second genetics
  • Nmarine1996
    Options
    60 down 20 to go. None so far. Genetics will mostly be the dictator. And how long you were your biggest. I didn't spend much time at my highest weight so I think that's a factor too.

You are almost to your goal!! How does it feel?
  • Nmarine1996
    Options

You are almost to your goal!! How does it feel?

It's a funny old place. Physical size wise I'm as small as I have been previously. Aesthetically, time isn't friendly to someone who stopped physical activity for a good ten years and I'm a lot blurrier round the edges! But I'm looking forward to seeing what's underneath the last layer of fat.

I am finding there's a psychological battle at this stage and it seems to happen to a lot of people. You get to your lowest before gaining and it's almost like your subconscious is like, we're good, you can stop now. So currently pushing through that. after a couple of months arguing with myself I think I'm back to being consistent with my intake. I also never put time goals on myself. I have a lifetime of maintaining and improving my aesthetic and fitness (creakier body allowing), so taking a little longer to get that get to that initial goal is totally fine with me.

I understand, it seems like 'the end' is a destination that we'll never reach. Even though we reach our "goal weight", we still have to tone or work on maintaining or we will fall back into old habits. Congratulations! You deserve some recognition!
  • Mads7878
    Mads7878 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Nmarine try rosehip oil every day, rub it on quite expensive but I think its helping me. Moisturize like mad. Get enough Vit C on the inside too. Zinc ointment try that as well. A bit sticky thou.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    "Pounds lost" is not the only thing that determines the appearance of loose skin.
    Progressive heavy lifting while losing weight preserves muscle and may even prevent the appearance of loose skin.
    I wouldn't know because I didn't do it. I call it the shar pei look.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    funny old place

i completely agree. i'm one of those 'gee, if i'd only appreciated what i had then' types after finding an old old picture. aside from other factors i was just plain curious to get back to that mid-20's weight to see what my more-mature late-40's self would think of it now.i did get there, but i discovered you really can't step into the same river twice :wink:

it wasn't [just] skin and years in my case though. i got obsessed with strength training at the same time, and i was disappointed to find that me with muscles didn't look the way me-without-muscles looked back in those days anyway. know i'm supposed to say 'delighted' but there were things about it i hadn't planned for.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends on how fast you lose. I lost 86lb when I became a mom, of course I gained 80lb in my pregnancy. I gained it fast and then when I got serious about losing was very aggressive in doing so. I have loose skin on my lower tummy. It isn't much though and I wouldn't gain the weight back to get rid of it.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Was 250 lbs. Lost 46 lbs. No loose skin. Got pregnant. Gained 67 lbs (up to 271 lbs). Had baby. Down to 235ish lbs. No loose skin. Got pregnant. Gained 28 lbs. Had baby. LOOSE SKIN.

I blame my second child.

Down 65 lbs from my heaviest post-baby 2 weight (263 lbs) and my stomach skin has stayed relatively unchanged during the entire loss period. I think it has something to do with the way I carried him during the pregnancy, or who knows, maybe even the fact that I had gestational diabetes that time.

I dunno. I got nothing.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I got loose skin after losing 20kg. It tightened over many years. Am now losing the last 10kg and got loose skin after 3kg!

Some black women don't get it in the same way though. My best friends are heavier than me, and even after losing nearly 50-70kg have no loose skin or stretch marks & we have the same routine (I'm a dumpy Indian girl)
  • karenswett1
    karenswett1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think this is more of an age problem. Younger people have healthier skin that recovers. As we get older our skin loses its elasticity. On 58, and I'm afraid to see what I end up with after I have lost the weight I want to lose.
  • Nmarine1996
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Was 250 lbs. Lost 46 lbs. No loose skin. Got pregnant. Gained 67 lbs (up to 271 lbs). Had baby. Down to 235ish lbs. No loose skin. Got pregnant. Gained 28 lbs. Had baby. LOOSE SKIN.

I blame my second child.

Down 65 lbs from my heaviest post-baby 2 weight (263 lbs) and my stomach skin has stayed relatively unchanged during the entire loss period. I think it has something to do with the way I carried him during the pregnancy, or who knows, maybe even the fact that I had gestational diabetes that time.

I dunno. I got nothing.

"I blame my second child", that made me giggle!
  • Nmarine1996
    Options
    I think this is more of an age problem. Younger people have healthier skin that recovers. As we get older our skin loses its elasticity. On 58, and I'm afraid to see what I end up with after I have lost the weight I want to lose.

I'm sorry to hear that :(
  • Nmarine1996
    Options
    Muana1005 wrote: »
    I got loose skin after losing 20kg. It tightened over many years. Am now losing the last 10kg and got loose skin after 3kg!

Some black women don't get it in the same way though. My best friends are heavier than me, and even after losing nearly 50-70kg have no loose skin or stretch marks & we have the same routine (I'm a dumpy Indian girl)

Wow thats interesting! Seems like genes play a huge role!
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Genetics. I had loose skin before I even started losing weight.