Breakfast made me fail. What do I do?

Options
I've had a very slow weight loss despite being on 1200-1300 per week for the past 3 weeks. Quite a few people recommended that I have breakfast as it will help speed up my metabolism and get me burning fat. I tried eating a healthy breakfast of oats and chia seeds with a little bit of rice milk this morning. However since then I've had constant craving that I have not been able to resist. I've just been starving all day long and it has ended in a binge, which I haven't done for 3 weeks of not eating breakfast. I think it's because my meals have been so small that I haven't felt satisfied. Whereas one bigger meal would have left me feeling more satisfied. Do any of you have any tips?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Figure out what meal pattern makes things easier for you, and if skipping breakfast is part of it, there's no harm in that.

I like breakfast but I eat 3 meals, no snacks, because that makes it easier for me.

I also do like to get in a decent amount of protein at breakfast and prefer lower carb breakfasts (so your breakfast wouldn't have been ideal for me, but for others it would be). Again, you just need to figure out what works for you by experimenting.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Technically speaking, breakfast is whatever meal breaks your fast so skipping a morning meal and eating later in the day makes that later meal breakfast.

But, as has been said, you do not have to eat what we traditionally call breakfast if you don't want to.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you and don't worry about what other people do. Don't eat breakfast if it doesn't work for you.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If I skip breakfast I just constantly think about food with my stomach growling until lunch, which is not ideal.

I essentially eat the same breakfast every morning and it is always the meal that I look forward to the most. I have a Greek yogurt with a scoop of protein powder, oatmeal, and a Quest bar. This 550 calories (68 carbs, 10 fat, 56 protein, 14 fiber). I just have a protein bar around 10am and lunch around noon, without having any sorts of problems with "cravings".
  • PaigeInTechnicolor
    PaigeInTechnicolor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the devil for me, too. If I eat fruit, oatmeal, toast or anything remotely carby I feel hungry all day long. So, I skip it unless I am hungry. If I am hungry, I will have a couple of eggs. Not saying that carbs are bad in general, just that for me they have little staying power.

And yeah, metabolism does not get "kickstarted"

Lots of people here swear by intermittent fasting. I think it is one of those things where you figure out what is easiest for you, and do that.

No bonus points will be awarded for making your life more difficult. If it is less calories in then out, you will lose weight.
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I normally only eat breakfast on Sunday when I go out to eat with my husband. I might have something small around 10am (I get up at 6am during the week) if I get hungry. Otherwise I wait until noon when I have lunch. I find that if I eat "breakfast," I want to continue eating all_day and am never satisfied.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The thing about speeding up metabolism is a crock. If that's the only reason you're eating breakfast, don't bother. If you're not losing without eating breakfast, adding a meal won't help any (unless it allows you to make your other meals smaller, which doesn't sound to be the case).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Breakfast didn't make you fail - believing a silly myth from friends has made you fail (more of a bump in the road than failure really).

But on the plus side you have learned something very valuable about what makes calorie adherence easier for you or harder for you. Fewer but bigger meals by skipping eating first thing in the morning would seem to make sense for you.

I don't like rigid rules so didn't enjoy 16:8 fasting but I do find skipping breakfast a very painless way to cut some calories from my day when I want or need to.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Figure out what meal pattern makes things easier for you, and if skipping breakfast is part of it, there's no harm in that.

I like breakfast but I eat 3 meals, no snacks, because that makes it easier for me.

I also do like to get in a decent amount of protein at breakfast and prefer lower carb breakfasts (so your breakfast wouldn't have been ideal for me, but for others it would be). Again, you just need to figure out what works for you by experimenting.

^^ Exactly what I was going to say. Don't pay attention to what anyone else is doing or what they're eating. We all have different preferences for what we prefer eating...when we eat it...how much we eat, ect. It took me well over a year of experimenting to really nail down what foods kept me full and energized while staying in a deficit.

Don't beat yourself up over this. Just try to figure out what went wrong and come up with a way to remedy it that you'll be happy with. It really does take some time so just keep at it. :wink:

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast and it helps a lot of people keep more satiated throughout the day, regardless of all the naysayers here on MFP. You can try different food for breakfast, especially high protein like eggs.