I just signed up for a 5K... in 10 days. :/

Options

Replies

• sarahshinks2233
    sarahshinks2233 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Another vote for intervals. It will give you a starting point to work against, if you choose to continue running. For example, if you run it in 45 minutes, next time try for less than 40, and so on. There are typically two packs of runners at a 5k, the sub-25 minute folks and the over 30 minute folks. You will not be the only one doing intervals, its pretty common.

Additionally, the endurance/stamina for martial arts and running are very different. I do Krav Maga, run, and yoga - each thing is different obviously - but just because I had been a runner didn't mean I could immediately spar for 2 minutes x 8-10 rounds or vice versa. With a positive attitude and some practice - progress is possible. Good luck!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Enjoy a nice walk/slow jog. Go only as fast as you can while having a conversation with anyone near you. For you it's not a race, it's a group walk. If you aren't talking and smiling, you're going too fast.
  • despondentdelerium
    despondentdelerium Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Good for you!!!

I trained for my last one by walking a block, jogging a block, running a block, then repeat.
    (sometimes just stop sign to stop sign) and I'd do twice the distance of the 5k.
    Once in the morning, Once at night.

A good warm up makes a huge difference, I like yoga, but it's different for everyone, just, a good, deep, full body stretch.
    I'd also heavily track your hydration, all week.
    Make sure you get your multivitamins and all that. It can make race day a lot smoother.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!

I trained for my last one by walking a block, jogging a block, running a block, then repeat.
    (sometimes just stop sign to stop sign) and I'd do twice the distance of the 5k.
    Once in the morning, Once at night.

A good warm up makes a huge difference, I like yoga, but it's different for everyone, just, a good, deep, full body stretch.
    I'd also heavily track your hydration, all week.
    Make sure you get your multivitamins and all that. It can make race day a lot smoother.

i never stretch cold muscles prior to running... i walk to warm up then walk and stretch to cool down.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Run it like a bat out of hell... You only live once. Lol
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Things that scare us are the best motivator.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    It's a 5k, not a marathon. I would think most any already active adult should be able to mostly run it, even if at a very slow pace. Jog a little now and see how it feels. Jog / Walk the event and have fun.

I'm with you and this was my point. It's 3.1 miles and people are acting like it's an ultra marathon over the Mohave Desert. I don't run. I hate running. I haven't run any distance over a mile in 10 years. However, a few months ago I had a friend ask me to go running with him. I am in good shape from training BJJ/MMA. First run we did 2.5 miles at a moderate-slow pace. My hamstrings were a little tight the next day, but otherwise I was fine. If she is training Muay Thai consistently, I can't imagine she won't be fine for 3.1 miles at reasonable pace.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with run/walk intervals. In fact, average pace will likely be better than someone who isn't conditioned for the distance trying to slog the entire thing. Most races will have people walking the entire thing unless they have a cutoff time preventing it; and pretty much every race will have people walking at least portions of it.

At this point, you may be better off doing nothing to train. (Trying to start running training now will likely leave you sore AF and fatigued come race day and you'll be worse off than doing nothing). Also- yes, you will most likely be very, very sore the next day after the race (assuming you'll be running at least portions of it).
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Walk it or prepare for pain.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with run/walk intervals. In fact, average pace will likely be better than someone who isn't conditioned for the distance trying to slog the entire thing. Most races will have people walking the entire thing unless they have a cutoff time preventing it; and pretty much every race will have people walking at least portions of it.

At this point, you may be better off doing nothing to train. (Trying to start running training now will likely leave you sore AF and fatigued come race day and you'll be worse off than doing nothing). Also- yes, you will most likely be very, very sore the next day after the race (assuming you'll be running at least portions of it).

Although, you may want to go for a short run in advance if only to make sure your shoes/shorts/etc won't give you blisters/chafe/etc.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Take it as a training opportunity. Set/pick a run/walk interval and keep to it.

You'll finish ahead of most of the walkers, and maybe even some of the runners.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Walk until you feel guilty, run until you're exhausted. Repeat for 5km!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I see lots of people walking 5Ks. You will be in good company.

Or, walk the first 3 miles and then run the rest of the 0.1 miles to the finish. Have someone take a picture of you running over the finish line. See, you "ran" a 5K! ;)
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    It's a 5k, not a marathon. I would think most any already active adult should be able to mostly run it, even if at a very slow pace. Jog a little now and see how it feels. Jog / Walk the event and have fun.

This. ^
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    With 10 days, you can still start a little training. Probably not to the point of running 5km (as @MobyCarp wrote, cardio isn't the only issue, and muscles / tendons / etc take longer to adapt).
    But if you plan to run-walk the race, you should already do it a few times before to know which running/walking duration is doable for you. For example when I first started running, I began with doing "2min running, 1 min walking" for 30 minutes in the first week (3 times), in the second week switched to "3min running, 1 min walking", and so on. I believe other programs start with "1min running, 2 min walking" for 30min in the first week.

And very important: run slow! A lot of people make the mistake of going out too fast, both when starting training as well as (or especially) on race day. If you are getting out of breath, you are probably too fast. You should run at a pace where you can say a full sentence out loud without trouble.

Oh, and have fun! Running is awesome :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Jog when you can, walk when you have to. Just enjoy yourself and have a great time of it.

Don't strain yourself too hard on this, but learn from it and get ready for the next one.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    A single 5K for a fairly athletic non-runner is not going to do much damage. You might feel sore the next day since you won't be used to using your muscles/joints/tendons exactly that way, but it's a short distance and it's very unlikely you're going to hurt yourself doing it just once, even if you're untrained.

Everyone else has already given you plenty of good advice re: run/walk intervals and keeping your pace easy. I will add that you should start near the back of the group so that any competitive runners can get out first, eat lightly if you eat beforehand so you don't have any intestinal surprises, and wear comfortable clothes and shoes you have worked out in often before so nothing hurts or chafes unexpectedly.

And relax...5K can be a very challenging distance if you want it to be (those aforementioned competitive runners who will run the thing in under 17-18 minutes are certainly making it challenging!) but for those of us who aren't aiming to win, it's not necessary at all to even be particularly fit to complete one since it's only about an hour even at a moderate walk. Just go at whatever pace you feel comfortable at, push yourself if you want, but no need to stress. There will be people running and finishing under 20 minutes, people chugging along in the 30-35 min range, people jogging it in the 40-45 minute range, and walkers who will take an hour. Wherever you end up is totally fine.

When you see the huge range of people there and their wildly different speeds and goals, you'll see that it really doesn't matter how fast you go as long as you're happy with your own performance. And for someone that's never run a 5K before, you are guaranteed to set a personal record regardless so you can't lose :)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    A single 5K for a fairly athletic non-runner is not going to do much damage. You might feel sore the next day since you won't be used to using your muscles/joints/tendons exactly that way, but it's a short distance and it's very unlikely you're going to hurt yourself doing it just once, even if you're untrained.

Everyone else has already given you plenty of good advice re: run/walk intervals and keeping your pace easy. I will add that you should start near the back of the group so that any competitive runners can get out first, eat lightly if you eat beforehand so you don't have any intestinal surprises, and wear comfortable clothes and shoes you have worked out in often before so nothing hurts or chafes unexpectedly.

And relax...5K can be a very challenging distance if you want it to be (those aforementioned competitive runners who will run the thing in under 17-18 minutes are certainly making it challenging!) but for those of us who aren't aiming to win, it's not necessary at all to even be particularly fit to complete one since it's only about an hour even at a moderate walk. Just go at whatever pace you feel comfortable at, push yourself if you want, but no need to stress. There will be people running and finishing under 20 minutes, people chugging along in the 30-35 min range, people jogging it in the 40-45 minute range, and walkers who will take an hour. Wherever you end up is totally fine.

Depending on your experience and fitness level, walking it out in 40 minutes isn't un possible. And for a "fairly athletic non-runner" may be a more interesting challenge.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first race the day before when I saw it in the paper, a half marathon. While that sounds insane I was running about thirty miles a week at the time so I was okay. To the OP, I would do some walk runs now to prepare and on race day have fun running when you feel like it and walk when you don't.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to say anything at first, but... I heartily agree with those who say that if you're already active, you should be able to mostly run or jog a 5K, even if you run slowly.

Seriously, folks. Resolving to walk this distance is setting the bar way too low. It may be advisable if you've been a resolute couch potato, but otherwise, it's not a good way to challenge one's self.