Calories in calories out is it that simple?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to understand what "eat unhealthy" is.

An abundance of low nutrient dense foods.

It's a shame OP hasn't been back to clarify what he or she meant with the original question:
    "Eating whatever even unhealthy staying within calories should you still lose weight?"

Many people assume that means that OP wants to eat nothing but junk (gummy bears, specifically and curiously).

I assume that means that OP wants to include less nutrient dense foods in their diet but does not intend to build the entire diet around these foods.

It would be helpful if @suenewberry81 would provide additional information and would help move the discussion forward so people might be able to offer more specific suggestions about how to balance nutrient dense foods with occasional indulgences.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

That's too vague.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm going to a little against the grain here. For me, it was a yes and no answer. Yes, you still need to be within your calories, however, there are other factors that can stall weight loss. I did very well losing a lot of weight by simply staying within my calories. It was when I got closer to a healthy weight range when staying within my calories was no longer as simple as it seemed to be. My weight would not budge anymore and stayed that way for several months. It fluctuated a little bit, but I could not get past this plateau even with everything that I tried. I was still within my calories and my weight would not budge. Then I tried changing the way I eat. I use to eat 3 meals a day, smaller in the morning and bigger at dinner time (dinner time is about 3:30 PM for me) because that's what helped me feel satisfied. Now I eat 4 meals a day close to equal proportions. I'm not diabetic, but I found out by eating several small meals a day it can manage blood sugar and insulin spikes, which can affect fat storage. After changing how often I ate, the weight began to fall off again. I was even able to lose weight during my time of the month, which is a huge deal because before, I could easily gain 5 pounds during that time. So yes, you still need to be within your calories, but if you stall, there could be something else that is affecting your weight loss.

The more lean you get, the more you have to be vigilant and the harder it becomes. Things like diet breaks, adaptitive termogenesis and other factors do play.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

That's too vague.

I disagree. It's a spectrum. Some foods are more nutrient dense than others, which for me would make them more unhealthy (to me). Not to say I do or others should only eat the healthiest (most nutrient dense foods) available to them. But if you're looking for a definition, I am willing to bet that's what most people consider to be the determining factor of how "unhealthy" something is.

If you disagree that's fine.

Edited: I would add that I believe a healthy diet to be consisting of mostly high nutrient dense foods, and an unhealthy diet to be consisting of mostly low nutrient dense foods. Again, a spectrum.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

That's too vague.

I disagree. It's a spectrum. Some foods are more nutrient dense than others, which for me would make them more unhealthy (to me). Not to say I do or others should only eat the healthiest (most nutrient dense foods) available to them. But if you're looking for a definition, I am willing to bet that's what most people consider to be the determining factor of how "unhealthy" something is.

So how would you specifically determine if there was an "abundance" of these foods in someone's diet?
  • Rammer123
    Options

That's too vague.

So how would you specifically determine if there was an "abundance" of these foods in someone's diet?

By looking at what they're eating....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

That's too vague.

I mean, how would you distinguish "an abundance" from "some"?
  • Rammer123
    Options

That's too vague.

I mean, how would you distinguish "an abundance" from "some"?

I said it was a spectrum.....

I am not sure what you're on about..... He asked for a definition of healthy foods and I said it was based on nutrient density. Do you disagree?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Yes. For weight loss, it is that simple.

You meet nutritional goals for general health (and you don't need to eat "clean" or perfectly to do this), but weight loss is created by a calorie deficit. Many people find certain eating patterns make it easier for them to stay in a calorie deficit (some people prefer fewer carbohydrates, some prefer more fiber, some prefer more protein, etc), but that doesn't change that a calorie deficit will work no matter what you're eating.

Just wanted to point out that this is the second post in the thread (and probably the first serious one as I think Noel was being facetious) and it perfectly summarizes the advice and tone of what the supposed "CICO Crowd" would advocate in threads just like this. Yet still, in subsequent posts, others raise the idea that eating nothing but gummy bears wouldn't be a good idea.

Does the app viewing of topics make it super simple to skip reading what's been written and just make your own post?

I kept thinking that was the excuse, laziness combined the app ease of supporting it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Yes. For weight loss, it is that simple.

You meet nutritional goals for general health (and you don't need to eat "clean" or perfectly to do this), but weight loss is created by a calorie deficit. Many people find certain eating patterns make it easier for them to stay in a calorie deficit (some people prefer fewer carbohydrates, some prefer more fiber, some prefer more protein, etc), but that doesn't change that a calorie deficit will work no matter what you're eating.

Just wanted to point out that this is the second post in the thread (and probably the first serious one as I think Noel was being facetious) and it perfectly summarizes the advice and tone of what the supposed "CICO Crowd" would advocate in threads just like this. Yet still, in subsequent posts, others raise the idea that eating nothing but gummy bears wouldn't be a good idea. Which why someone thinks that the OP was considering eating nothing but gummy bears is beyond me. And I suspect even further still, others will suggest that anyone who follows your post and says "yep! Calories are all that matter for weight loss" are somehow giving the OP the impression that nutrition isn't important and that obviously negates the succinct and sage advice that you provided and will imply that anyone who is in the "CICO Crowd" is saying to ignore nutrition.

You interpreted that post as eating "nothing but gummy bears" but all the person said was that junk food like gummy bears doesn't satisfy hunger long. Nobody said anything about eating nothing but gummy bears.