No Calorie Sodas and Weight

Options
I've searched online and in these forums to see what the popular opinion on this subject is. So many articles claim that no calorie sodas lead to weight gain and/or obesity. But I just don't understand how if you are running a calorie deficit.

What are your opinions?

I drink a fairly large amount of Coke Zero each day so this topic is important to me haha. Do I actually have to drink just water to lose weight?!

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    the articles are usually based on studies which found a correlation between diet soda consumption and obesity - not causation. a lot of them are intentionally mis-characterizing actual results for more sensational stories.

Yep. Fat people are more likely to drink diet soda than people who don't have weight issues. Obviously not the same thing as "diet soda makes you fat," and certainly not the same thing as "diet soda causes weight gain without a calorie surplus," but the reporting/understanding of these things is so terrible.

There are other studies (but others that disagree, so I'm undecided) that for a portion of the population (not everyone) consuming diet soda may make you more prone to overeating absent other checks on calories, like counting. I sometimes drank diet soda when losing, sometimes did not, and I did not notice it being harder to stay within my calories when consuming it, so I am confident it's not a problem for me. (I don't drink it that much anyway, my vice is coffee and I love water, but if I want one, I have it.)

agreed. the only thing i have trouble moderating when i'm drinking diet soda is the diet soda itself. especially diet gingerale, of which i can easily drink 3 cans a day. i prefer to drink water, so i tend not to keep diet soda in the house, but i'll order it in a restaurant and it's not hindered me from keeping to my goals or started me craving more food or sweets.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    the articles are usually based on studies which found a correlation between diet soda consumption and obesity - not causation. a lot of them are intentionally mis-characterizing actual results for more sensational stories.

Yep. Fat people are more likely to drink diet soda than people who don't have weight issues. Obviously not the same thing as "diet soda makes you fat," and certainly not the same thing as "diet soda causes weight gain without a calorie surplus," but the reporting/understanding of these things is so terrible.

There are other studies (but others that disagree, so I'm undecided) that for a portion of the population (not everyone) consuming diet soda may make you more prone to overeating absent other checks on calories, like counting. I sometimes drank diet soda when losing, sometimes did not, and I did not notice it being harder to stay within my calories when consuming it, so I am confident it's not a problem for me. (I don't drink it that much anyway, my vice is coffee and I love water, but if I want one, I have it.)

agreed. the only thing i have trouble moderating when i'm drinking diet soda is the diet soda itself. especially diet gingerale, of which i can easily drink 3 cans a day. i prefer to drink water, so i tend not to keep diet soda in the house, but i'll order it in a restaurant and it's not hindered me from keeping to my goals or started me craving more food or sweets.

I have discovered Goslings Diet Ginger Beer, which is expensive (comparatively) and a pain to buy as it's not in the supermarket nearest me, which is the only reason I moderate it well. ;-)
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    tbirk wrote: »
    No idea if it directly causes weight gain. However, personally, I try to replace soda with water or tea. I feel like drinking the diet soda leaves me more thirsty and with the munchies!! Water is much more satisfying. Tea gives me caffeine, if that's what I'm craving. I have herbal tea if I just want something to sip on; I love mint tea. I keep flavored sparkling water at home for when I'm looking for some bubbles to enjoy. I really feel better when I'm not drinking soda or diet soda regularly!

I second this^^^. Diet soda just doesn't satisfy me quite like water does.