What ONE food would you recommend cutting out for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Processed food. Most experts agree that processed food is awful for our health & it's very inflammatory to the majority of people.

Our gut health is a huge culprit in America's obesity epidemic. If you're at all interested, I highly recommend you check out Chalene Johnson's (free) podcast, The Chalene Show - she talks a lot about the issue & it's very educational. http://www.chalenejohnson.com/podcasts/dr-zach-bush-on-metabolism-chronic-health-issues-and-gut-health/

Thing is I lost a lot of weight and improved all my health markers while eating all sorts of 'processed' foods, just in the correct calorie amounts for my weight management goals. We're talking fast food several times a week, HFCS/sugary stuff, Lean Cuisines, 100 calorie snack packs, artificial sweetener etc etc. Lost the weight and had pretty fantastic blood work results. Go figure.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Frankly, nothing.

The only exception is foods you can't consume in moderation. If you have to eat a whole bag of chips and can't limit it to your calorie amount, maybe cut out chips until you have control.
  • Aisling826
    Aisling826 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sadly, peanut butter. I used to take a spoon out of the jar when I got hungry and didn't feel like preparing anything to eat. I learned I have no control because one spoon would turn into 2 or 3. Before you know it half the jar is gone. I've learned not to even start. I can make sandwiches for the kids but I had to stop licking the spoon. LOL!

I'm also trying to cut back on pasta. Not because eww carbs are bad, but I tend to overeat pasta.

In general, I don't believe in cutting out, just cutting back. Except for peanut butter. Seriously, I have a problem.

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Anything you eat daily and don't plan to replace with something else when you cut it out
  • gperez8127
    gperez8127 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Donuts
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Beer. Because if you're going to blow your calories, at least do it on a great wine, liquor, or saké. :|
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Sugar for sure! I challenged myself to go sugar free and I didn't change anything else about my diet and I dropped weight quickly! I also felt a lot better for not having any sugar. I wasn't obsessive about it, just obvious sugar items.

I'm thinking about cutting sugar (and alcohol obvs) for a week or two and seeing how I feel. It'll be hard as I do have a sweet tooth but I'm hoping it'll help reduce my cravings long term.

I drastically reduced the amount of baked goods I ate but eat more fruit, which satisfy my sweet tooth for far less calories.

Getting sufficient sleep, protein, and exercise helps me with cravings as well.
  • evastar
    evastar Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    None!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I cut out regular soda when I discovered how many calories it had.
  • edlanglais
    edlanglais Posts: 39 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    There are several things I've stopped consuming, as I've had to make it a lifestyle change. I stopped drinking my calories unless it's something that's loaded with macros and/or nutrients, such as protein shakes or smoothies. I love my homemade protein shakes and naked smoothies now. I'll still have a small soda for a special occasion but that's really it.

Water is my new go to. I drink it all throughout the day. I also drink a some protein powder, occasionally mixed with 1% milk and glutamine powder. I'll also a drink a naked smoothie protein zone mixed with glutamine powder.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    For me replacing my morning fruit juice with water made an impact. There have however been many other dietary changes along the way but most have been about cutting back while eating more of the healthier food choices. Juice has been the only food eliminated totally and I don't miss it at all..
  • christopherwelch95
    christopherwelch95 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Chips. Before I know it the entire bag is gone. Also alcohol. Each shot is right around 100 calories and when I drink I'm definitely drinking more than 1 shot. It adds up and then I crave fast food.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out anything but there are things I am avoiding because they are too calorie-dense. For example, I thought about making cream biscuits for breakfast as I have in the past.

I started to input the flour and cream and the butter that would go on them and quickly got over a thousand calories for breakfast. Never mind. Did I flop to the other extreme and have a bowl of Special K with skim milk? Shudder.

No!!! I had a couple scrambled eggs made with cream and smoked cheddar. Still a decadent breakfast but less than half the calories of the biscuits and, because the the increase of protein over starch, more satisfying.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Wine. I enjoy my lovely wine, but cutting it out temporarily makes the scale move. :/

Just an observation, but her mum must've been eating a LOT of butter!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Only the one you cannot eat in smaller amounts. Otherwise none. For me that's a bag of crisps that I cannot get in small packs. That elimiates all the sweet chili chrisps that I love, but I can still get Mackies Haggis & Black Pepper, which are delicious! And Kinder chocolate would need to go as I can only get an 8-pack, and it would certainly go in one go.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Chocolate hob nobs....1 packet is never enough and those babies have 95 calories a pop.

Have you tried mcvities tiffin chunks? Chopped up digestives, raisins and chocolate. Ridiculously addictive. I'd happily eat the whole tub.
  • vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Alcohol. But I was a heavy drinker. And on top of the alcohol calories, I would binge eat when drunk. I'd just rather not drink.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I cut out foods I didn't like much and never looked back. No point in spending calories on meh foods.