Potassium pills. Why would a person take them?

Options

Replies

• Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Potassium requirement daily is 4,700 milligrams. It's hard to get that unless you consume 10 bananas!

There are powdered supplements available that get you closer - but they have to be carefully taken because overdosing can cause convulsions and heart attacks. BTW most of the powders are "base" and are are caustic and must be mixed with citric acid to reduce the ph. Potassium injections can either help you or stop your heart.
    Could a 21 year old college student be using it to make drugs or get high? Or could it be used in science/chemistry experiments?

It's not used to make drugs - it's one of the essential electrolytes (sodium, magnesium being the other two). Health conscious people combine it with sugar, sodium, magnesium to make a hydration drink without all of the crap.

My husband plays death by tennis on the weekends and I keep it on hand to mix into his Gatorade along with extra magnesium when he's got really bad muscle cramps. As long as we follow the directions it's perfectly safe.

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I've had to have potassium given through IV at the hospital. I was admitted after having stomach issues for a few months and it almost depleted my potassium. I can see where people can need them for different things.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Lots of gatorade in kitchen. This is all making sense. All roommates are involved in some sort of sport.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Lots of gatorade in kitchen. This is all making sense. All roommates are involved in some sort of sport.

You have roommates who are taking potassium supplements, and you are concerned that they might be using them to grind down and make other illegal drugs with, so you come on the MFP forums to play speculation games?

Or is this an observation about someone you don't even know in real life?

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    wow wino, that came across as tough. My kid's has 3 roommates. I didn't know I was breaking rules or something. Geez. Tough, tough place this is. Done.
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,843 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed it for me to take because of leg cramps.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Potassium requirement daily is 4,700 milligrams. It's hard to get that unless you consume 10 bananas!

No, it's really not if you just eat a normal healthy diet. There are also lots of foods that have more potassium than bananas -- not sure who bananas paid off for all good press! ;-)

Anyway, I agree there are perfectly normal reasons to take the supplements and nothing suspicious about it.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The most efficient way to top up my electrolytes I found (calorie free) was to use Gastrolyte, recommended by my pharmacist. I figure it's safer as it has all the salts in balance. It tastes like lemony soap water though.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    200g of cantaloupe or 85g fresh spinach has 5x the amount in supps. I get mine from food sources, the amount in supplements is pathetic.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »

Since potassium isn't required on food labelling in the US (it's optional) most people are probably getting more than they think.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-food-labels-potassium-idUSBRE9200SA20130301

• LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I take a prescription potassium supplement because one of my medications contains a diuretic that depletes my potassium. If I didn't have great insurance and OTC would be cheaper, I'd buy it OTC.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    I take a prescription potassium supplement because one of my medications contains a diuretic that depletes my potassium. If I didn't have great insurance and OTC would be cheaper, I'd buy it OTC.

I mentioned above that the Nu-Salt I have is 530mg per 1/6tsp. One tsp a day sprinkled onto your food or into your Gatorade would provide you with 3180mg! A pack of 12 Nu-Salt shakers (3oz each) is around $20 on Amazon. About $1.70 per shaker. Very affordable!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    c1b4b1950661a936124bdcd1ecf43a1d.jpg

No, potassium won't be used to make drugs.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    People with ileostomies are frequently dehydrated (as water is absorbed in colon so doesn't happen in ileomates) so I take potasdium
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Neener0808 wrote: »
    I just started taking a potassium supplement as I am suffering from some leg cramps and training for a half marathon. I monitor my food and macros and I don't get a lot of natural potassium. Everyone says eat banana's but quiet frankly I can't stand banana's. It's a texture thing. I am trying this out for 2 weeks of 99mg tablet once a day.

I hear that a lot too about bananas being high in potassium but there are a lot of other things that are close and even way higher (especially cantaloupe) in potassium than bananas that you may find to your liking.

milk, 8 oz: about 330 mg potassium
    bananas, 1 medium: about 420 mg potassium
    orange juice, 8 oz: about 450 mg potassium
    baked potato, medium: about 950 mg potassium
    dates/raisins, 1 cup: about 1200 mg potassium
    cantaloupe, 5" melon: about 1400 mg potassium (& only about 185 calories too, plus an excellent source of vitamins A & C as well!)