Potassium pills. Why would a person take them?

13»

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited July 2017
    From http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/potassium-sources-and-benefits#2

Here’s how many milligrams (mg) of potassium you'll get from these potassium-rich foods:

Winter squash, cubed, 1 cup, cooked: 896 mg
    Sweet potato, medium, baked with skin: 694 mg
    Potato, medium, baked with skin: 610 mg
    White beans, canned, drained, half cup: 595 mg
    Yogurt, fat-free, 1 cup: 579 mg
    Halibut, 3 ounces, cooked: 490 mg
    100% orange juice, 8 ounces: 496 mg
    Broccoli, 1 cup, cooked: 457 mg
    Cantaloupe, cubed, 1 cup: 431 mg
    Banana, 1 medium: 422 mg
    Pork tenderloin, 3 ounces, cooked: 382 mg
    Lentils, half cup, cooked: 366 mg
    Milk, 1% low fat, 8 ounces: 366 mg
    Salmon, farmed Atlantic, 3 ounces, cooked: 326 mg
    Pistachios, shelled, 1 ounce, dry roasted: 295 mg
    Raisins, quarter cup: 250 mg
    Chicken breast, 3 ounces, cooked: 218 mg
    Tuna, light, canned, drained, 3 ounces: 201 mg

They also mention that potassium is depleted by boiling the food. Roasting or eating raw is preferable. I'm wondering whether the amount in the lentils has been adjusted, since most lentil recipes I know of call for boiling.
  • ansmit4642014
    ansmit4642014 Posts: 67 Member
    Don't take potassium unless you have an electrolyte imbalance... it can cause heart arrhythmias and muscle spacity
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    According to my doctor it helps with restless leg syndrome, your mileage may vary. I also have some chemo patients who take it for chemo induced hypokalemia. I wouldn't recommend it for general use.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Potassium is good for high blood pressure.

Also potatoes have way more than bananas.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Neener0808 wrote: »
    I just started taking a potassium supplement as I am suffering from some leg cramps and training for a half marathon. I monitor my food and macros and I don't get a lot of natural potassium. Everyone says eat banana's but quiet frankly I can't stand banana's. It's a texture thing. I am trying this out for 2 weeks of 99mg tablet once a day.

I hear that a lot too about bananas being high in potassium but there are a lot of other things that are close and even way higher (especially cantaloupe) in potassium than bananas that you may find to your liking.

milk, 8 oz: about 330 mg potassium
    bananas, 1 medium: about 420 mg potassium
    orange juice, 8 oz: about 450 mg potassium
    baked potato, medium: about 950 mg potassium
    dates/raisins, 1 cup: about 1200 mg potassium
    cantaloupe, 5" melon: about 1400 mg potassium (& only about 185 calories too, plus an excellent source of vitamins A & C as well!)

Banana's may have that reputation because of how easy they are to consume on the go. And also cheap. Basically-They come pre-portioned in their own packaging in cheap bunches, so ideal for post-run/ride/race consumption.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited July 2017
    Hypokalemia is a thing. Certain medical issues and medications will strip you of potassium and it needs to be replaced. It's not always an easy thing to replace with food depending on how severe the condition is.

When I was a kid, I was prescribed 8 bananas a day because I was also on high-dose antibiotics that caused hypokalemia as a side effect. I ended up loathing bananas for years. I would much rather have taken a couple of potassium pills.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    When I was a kid, I was prescribed 8 bananas a day because I was also on high-dose antibiotics that caused hypokalemia as a side effect. I ended up loathing bananas for years.
    As a child, my daughter was prescribed antibiotics that came as a banana-flavoured liquid. She's now 25 and to this day the smell of banana makes her gag. :)
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    When I was a kid, I was prescribed 8 bananas a day because I was also on high-dose antibiotics that caused hypokalemia as a side effect. I ended up loathing bananas for years.
    As a child, my daughter was prescribed antibiotics that came as a banana-flavoured liquid. She's now 25 and to this day the smell of banana makes her gag. :)

I remember taking that stuff as a kid too and I LOVED the flavour! I wish I could taste it again. :p
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    toxikon wrote: »
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    I take a prescription potassium supplement because one of my medications contains a diuretic that depletes my potassium. If I didn't have great insurance and OTC would be cheaper, I'd buy it OTC.

I mentioned above that the Nu-Salt I have is 530mg per 1/6tsp. One tsp a day sprinkled onto your food or into your Gatorade would provide you with 3180mg! A pack of 12 Nu-Salt shakers (3oz each) is around $20 on Amazon. About $1.70 per shaker. Very affordable!

Thanks for the suggestion! :smiley:
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Could a 21 year old college student be using it to make drugs or get high? Or could it be used in science/chemistry experiments?

May be trying to synthesize Special K? ;)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member

My dog was taking banana flavored medication when we got him from the humane society when he was 2 months. My son is sure it is the reason that to this day he refuses to eat bananas.
  • aribel95
    aribel95 Posts: 32 Member
    I started taking potassium supplements because this app said I wasn't getting enough
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    aribel95 wrote: »
    I started taking potassium supplements because this app said I wasn't getting enough

Just be a bit careful with that...potassium isn't a requirement on food labels and since that's where most of the database entries come from, they aren't included in the nutritional information. Most people who are eating their veg and fruit and whatnot do not have potassium deficiencies that would require supplementation.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I get plenty from putting baobab powder in my greek yogurt. Natures sherbet but the nutritional profile of it is amazing.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/306445.php
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    aribel95 wrote: »

Just be a bit careful with that...potassium isn't a requirement on food labels and since that's where most of the database entries come from, they aren't included in the nutritional information. Most people who are eating their veg and fruit and whatnot do not have potassium deficiencies that would require supplementation.

good point! many of the database entries show a 0 for potassium even though other listings indicate it. Sometimes it's a 0 simply because it's just not measured due to not being required.
  • tneal5
    tneal5 Posts: 1 Member
    I had to use potassium supplements when I wad doing an very low carb keto diet. I had terrible leg cramps as well as PVCs. Electrolytes were hard to maintain for me on keto.