I just don't get it

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Panda8ach wrote: »
    I feel lucky tbh... It's going well and relatively easy :) I don't weigh my food... I'm proud of that lol :#

Don't worry, I'd be proud of that too! Not having to weigh my food and being able to lose or maintain would mean I've finally learnt something and nailed intuitive eating.

i agree.
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I feel lucky tbh... It's going well and relatively easy :) I don't weigh my food... I'm proud of that lol :#

Don't worry, I'd be proud of that too! Not having to weigh my food and being able to lose or maintain would mean I've finally learnt something and nailed intuitive eating.

Thank you ☺
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@Christine_72
    I don't log but I can't do intuitive eating either. My intuitive level is always far more than I really need (the technical term is greedy!).

I'm just calorie aware and make sensible choices. Works fine, can maintain or make fine adjustments to my weight, can even make not so fine adjustments to my weight after a holiday as I'm doing now.
    Try it - you might be surprised and you can always go back.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    OP, you'll also notice that a lot of the "can't lose on 1100 calories" women are several inches shorter than you. Your height does give you the metabolic advantage of burning more calories to be alive than are needed by a shorter woman.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    OP, you'll also notice that a lot of the "can't lose on 1100 calories" women are several inches shorter than you. Your height does give you the metabolic advantage of burning more calories to be alive than are needed by a shorter woman.

So would being heavier and breastfeeding as she mentioned.
  • Paschen81
    Paschen81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    For me... Before buying a scale and weighing my foods (sometimes still difficult for certain foods) I would measure foods and use the database info with my measured food serving in. I would report most days at 1200 to 1300 calories. After getting a scale I learned 2 things... 1. I was overestimating some foods (like peanut butter) and underestimating others (like prepackaged servings). After weighing it turns out that I fall between 1300 and 1400 calories which for many is extremely low for my body size (6'1) but for me this is due to not eating well in high school and into my 20s. I was so use to only eating a small order of fries and nothing else the entire day or a cup of cucumber tomato salad and nothing else or days when I wouldn't eat at all except for my morning cup of coffee. Do that for 15 years then when you have money to eat but not time so you eat out alot but because you have an extremely active job you don't gain... But then you change jobs and go from a stockroom job to an office job and you gain 30. Ok no biggie but then after 10 years you find yourself at 35 and your metabolism slows more due to age and without changing anything you gain 5+ pounds per week for 3 months straight but the doctor can't explain why after running all kinds of tests (I would say I was eating 1800 to 2200 calories at the time) so he suggest that I reduce my calories by 100 per day each week until the weekly gain stopped. And do I did eventually stopping the gain at 1500. I wanted to start losing the 60+ pounds I had put on in the short time so I continued to reduce my calories until I was logging 800 (which due to my known inconsistencies now I figured was actually closer to 1200) and was losing 1 pound a week began Increasing my exercise and by the time I was walking 5 to 10 miles per day along with my low calorie intake I was losing between 2 and 3 pounds per week (not every week though) and in 2 years I dropped the 60 pounds plus an additional 20 of the 30 I gained when I changed jobs... Then depression hit I gained all 80 pounds back... And here I am now. Back at it only logging by weight instead of measure. But unless I fall off the wagon (here lately I have... Not logging eating too much) I keep my calories around 1400... If I'm bad I would say I can eat upwards of 1800 but feel sick when I do

Ah well back at it I am trying to stay dedicated this time and not let the sadness win.

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned Secret Eaters - which is hard to find to watch here in the US, but did a pretty good job of showing how people can be eating more than they think:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJrC3RTtgQ

And then I 100% agree with the point raised above about the accuracy of database entries. I've got some unlogged days (lots, lately) where I've given up on finding an accurate entry for an ingredient. I know its there, I've used it before, but it's not showing up, and what IS showing up is trying to tell me that my cup of chopped onion has 5 calories or my chicken thighs have 50 calories.

They've let so many people put personal entries into the database, and people are so stupid about math and measuring - or they have VERY individual quirks about how they handle units of measurement - that just finding a simple entry for a plain, whole food has become ridiculously complicated.
  • Meaganinsardinia
    Meaganinsardinia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    dcristo213 wrote: »
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

This New York Times article on the Biggest Loser Show gives you a good perspective on how severely limiting your calories does not work.

Wow! Of course the sample size was small but they found after the weight loss the contestants were burning significantly fewer calories in their resting metabolism for what would be expected for their size and weight. One person over 800 fewer!! Also multiple hormones leading to increased hunger and inability to feel full while in the lower weight range. So interesting. Of course it is about what goes in your mouth but this research highlights what an incredibly uphill battle it can be against Biology not "just will power" once the weight has been lost.

Compassion means to not want suffering. Have compassion for yourself. Have compassion for others.