Cross Training Advice for Marathon Runner

Options
2»

Replies

• AllisonMFP117
    AllisonMFP117 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Determine what the weak parts of your running chain are. Design a strength training routine to strengthen those parts. There are a lot of standard recommendations, you need a strong core, you need strong calves, etc. But you will have limited time, and you'll get the best value for your time addressing strength issues that are particular to you and not just general strength concerns.

Hint: Any repetitive motion injuries you may have had over time are clues as to what you should work on.

The only issue I really can identify is ITBS on left leg which only seems to rise after mile 4.

What would be reccomended to help stretch/strengthen this issue :)

Btw thank you EVERYONE who gave me anwsers, online can have so many conflicting ideas so it is refreshing to have advice of experienced althetes,
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Determine what the weak parts of your running chain are. Design a strength training routine to strengthen those parts. There are a lot of standard recommendations, you need a strong core, you need strong calves, etc. But you will have limited time, and you'll get the best value for your time addressing strength issues that are particular to you and not just general strength concerns.

Hint: Any repetitive motion injuries you may have had over time are clues as to what you should work on.

The only issue I really can identify is ITBS on left leg which only seems to rise after mile 4.

Btw thank you EVERYONE who gave me anwsers, online can have so many conflicting ideas so it is refreshing to have advice of experienced althetes,

Can't help you with exercises for the ITBS; that's not an issue I've ever had. I'm given to understand it's more common in women than in men, because of the way the legs and pelvis are put together. But just knowing that ITBS is an issue for you is a starting point for research.
  • Waddellfitness
    Waddellfitness Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I have ITBS in my right leg, quad stretches and squats seem to help me. Also a good compression wrap.