Exercise = earned calories?

Options

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You don't have to eat them back if you don't want to, it will just increase your deficit and rate of loss. If you're hungry after a workout or want to replenish some, I'd recommend eating 1/3-1/2 of the calories back. MFP tends to overestimate calories burned in exercise.

True...but often, that is not a good thing, particularly if you're actually interested in fitness and improving fitness.

Or maintaining your weight loss over the long term once you meet your goal.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I will gladly eat those extra calories! I've mostly been doing a brisk walk/slow jog as my exercise for the past week, so I'm hopeful that the calories burned are fairly accurate.

They're not even close to accurate. Walking, for example, is typically overestimated by 100% or more.

Exactly how inaccurate is highly dependent on individual and workout. To be safe, start by eating back 30% of them, and monitor what happens.

Alternatively start eating 100% back and only adjust if required.
    Really don't agree with using the word "safe" in the context of eating less.

Do agree with "Exactly how inaccurate is highly dependent on individual and workout." which is why I dislike the frequently seen advice to eat back a certain percentage.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    joeboland wrote: »
    I ignore it for two reasons:

a) I'm not a dog. I don't "earn" calories like treats.
    b) MFP's calculations are frequently inaccurate at best. I can guarantee a 30-minute 5K does not burn 400 calories.

You're right, as a 230 lb man that run gets me closer to 600 calories than 400.. although it's more like 36 minutes. and ~550 calories
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

b) MFP's calculations are frequently inaccurate at best. I can guarantee a 30-minute 5K does not burn 400 calories.

a) Tell that to a 4'11 sedentary female who would have to cut daily intake to something ridiculous like 800-1000 if she didn't eat any exercise calories back.
    b) Yes it absolutely does.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^

Many times it's actually unsafe.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

a) Tell that to a 4'11 sedentary female who would have to cut daily intake to something ridiculous like 800-1000 if she didn't eat any exercise calories back.

As a 4'11" woman I support this. My activity varies daily and my activity is set to sedentary but because of activity I need an extra 200 to 800 calories a day and if I don't eat those calories I feel weak and can't preform activities properly.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Except we're not talking about eating less.

We're talking about how much *more* to eat.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Yep. Not eating them back is definitely not a viable long term option for us. (Although in our case, we actually wouldn't burn remotely near 400 calories on a 5K unless very overweight.. closer to 240 cal if near ideal weight. The OP, being male, would probably burn in the 400 calorie range though).
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options

As a 4'11" woman I support this. My activity varies daily and my activity is set to sedentary but because of activity I need an extra 200 to 800 calories a day and if I don't eat those calories I feel weak and can't preform activities properly.

I'm the same... I'm a 5ft 2" female who has 1200 calories per day... I've only not eaten back exercise calories a few times. If I don't have them I'm grumpy and sluggish :( A diet shouldn't feel like a punishment and although those calories are not a 'treat' as such... I get them because I worked hard for them! :#
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Gotta disagree with the majority here. I'm not sure it's a healthy relationship for me to have with food if I associate it with reward. That if I've been "good" I can have some food.

To me food is both an essential, normal part of life and also a joy. Treating it as something to reward myself with seems wrong somehow.

But I'm happy to accept that the majority may have a different view.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    nefudaboss wrote: »
    I had 80 lbs to lose. I didn't eat anything back. It would just taken me 5 years to get slim instead of 2 years. Id say if you weighing your food and everything is accurate then eat back half the calories if your deficit is to low ( worked out to much) buttttt if you like me and you know that you ate more calories then you inputted (food inaccuracies) then dont eat anything back to balance it out

Even if you only lost half a pound per week, 80 pounds would only take three years, not five.
    80 pounds in 2 years (.77 pounds per week) is totally doable while eating back exercise calories.