I'm having issues and not sure why.

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Means nothing notable. My weight fluctuates normally and on average there has been no loss in the past few weeks. .5 lbs a week doesn't seem like very much at all. I would rather lose more than that.

if you need to lose 25lb 0.5lb/week is about right. anything more than that would most likely be too aggressive. you wont lose every week either sadly its how weight loss works because weight loss is not linear.you cant lose a small amount of weight quickly and safely.The less you have to lose the slower it is and should be.if you are losing 0.5lb/week it means you have a 250 calorie deficit.

She's 5'9" and 205. Losing more than 0.5lb/week is perfectly fine. Just because her goals is to lose 25lbs doesn't mean anything in terms of weight loss per week. Telling someone to diet for another year to lose 25 pounds which wouldn't even put someone in their ideal weight is horrible advice. Literally telling her to lose 1% of her weight a month when realistically it could easily be more like 1% of your weight a week if you're overweight or obese

first of all the less weight you have to lose, the less per week you should be trying to lose. especially if you dont have the fat stores like you did at a larger weight. so no its not bad advice.so you are saying 2lbs a week is ok with so little to lose?.

yes it could be more if you are obese and have more to lose(like more than 75lb) . but clearly she said she needs to lose 25lbs.she already lost a lot in 6 months time and with that fast of a loss,I'm sure there was a decent amount of lean mass lost as well. to safely lose weight you are only supposed to lose a percentage of your weight.saying large and rapid weight loss is ok when you have so little to lose is what is horrible advice.

1% of your total weight is sustainable until you're getting into single digit bf% for men and under 20% for women.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. Just because someone's goal is to lose 25lbs, doesn't mean that's the amount of weight they can lose and still be healthy.

I could be 60 pounds overweight, and my goal is to lose 25-30 pounds, so according to what you're saying, I should lose 0.5lbs/week when in reality, I can very easily lose 2lbs/week. Just because my goal is 25-30 pounds doesn't mean anything in terms of the speed of weight loss.

she said she has about 25lbs of fat that has to go. your body can only safely lose so much bodyfat at a time. losing weight too quickly can result in lean mass loss,which is what I dont think you understand.you arent going to lose 2lbs of only fat per week if you dont have a lot of weight/fat to lose.
    8 lbs a month for someone looking to only lose 25lbs is aggressive. That would make a 2lb a week loss a 1000 calorie deficit. we dont even know what her BMR/TDEE is. 1000 calorie deficit may put her under 1200 calories a day.now if she said well I really need to lose 50 lbs then she could go with a higher deficit.not to mention weight loss is not linear either.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Means nothing notable. My weight fluctuates normally and on average there has been no loss in the past few weeks. .5 lbs a week doesn't seem like very much at all. I would rather lose more than that.

if you need to lose 25lb 0.5lb/week is about right. anything more than that would most likely be too aggressive. you wont lose every week either sadly its how weight loss works because weight loss is not linear.you cant lose a small amount of weight quickly and safely.The less you have to lose the slower it is and should be.if you are losing 0.5lb/week it means you have a 250 calorie deficit.

She's 5'9" and 205. Losing more than 0.5lb/week is perfectly fine. Just because her goals is to lose 25lbs doesn't mean anything in terms of weight loss per week. Telling someone to diet for another year to lose 25 pounds which wouldn't even put someone in their ideal weight is horrible advice. Literally telling her to lose 1% of her weight a month when realistically it could easily be more like 1% of your weight a week if you're overweight or obese

first of all the less weight you have to lose, the less per week you should be trying to lose. especially if you dont have the fat stores like you did at a larger weight. so no its not bad advice.so you are saying 2lbs a week is ok with so little to lose?.

yes it could be more if you are obese and have more to lose(like more than 75lb) . but clearly she said she needs to lose 25lbs.she already lost a lot in 6 months time and with that fast of a loss,I'm sure there was a decent amount of lean mass lost as well. to safely lose weight you are only supposed to lose a percentage of your weight.saying large and rapid weight loss is ok when you have so little to lose is what is horrible advice.

1% of your total weight is sustainable until you're getting into single digit bf% for men and under 20% for women.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. Just because someone's goal is to lose 25lbs, doesn't mean that's the amount of weight they can lose and still be healthy.

I could be 60 pounds overweight, and my goal is to lose 25-30 pounds, so according to what you're saying, I should lose 0.5lbs/week when in reality, I can very easily lose 2lbs/week. Just because my goal is 25-30 pounds doesn't mean anything in terms of the speed of weight loss.

she said she has about 25lbs of fat that has to go. your body can only safely lose so much bodyfat at a time. losing weight too quickly can result in lean mass loss,which is what I dont think you understand.you arent going to lose 2lbs of only fat per week if you dont have a lot of weight/fat to lose.
    8 lbs a month for someone looking to only lose 25lbs is aggressive. That would make a 2lb a week loss a 1000 calorie deficit. we dont even know what her BMR/TDEE is. 1000 calorie deficit may put her under 1200 calories a day.now if she said well I really need to lose 50 lbs then she could go with a higher deficit.not to mention weight loss is not linear either.

So depending on how much she WANTS to lose, that's how much of a calorie deficit should be used?

What does weight loss not being linear have to do with anything?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

So depending on how much she WANTS to lose, that's how much of a calorie deficit should be used?

OMG you are just wanting to argue. because others above also said the same thing I did above yet you are singling me out? please find someone else to argue with.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    edited July 2017
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    I haven't had any notable difference in weight in a few weeks.

You should be looking for no more than about .5lbs a week with only 25lbs to lose.

Vespiquenn-just curious what your thoughts are on why half a pound per week and 25 pounds remaining go together? Why couldn't she strive for up to 2 pounds a week?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    @AsylumTourGuide Have you used any quantitative method at all of measuring or calculating your body fat percentage? There are accurate methods which cost money, and free methods that are not particularly accurate. Any method, though, would give us enough information to then give well-informed advice.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I'm a tour guide. I walk all day. I don't eat very much. I definitely feel like I should still be losing weight. I've lost 60lbs this year already. I'm 5'9 and 205lbs. Lots of my weight is in muscle but I know there is still about 25lbs in fat that needs to go. Any suggestions? Btw some fitness friends would be nice. I don't know anybody who likes to workout so I have been in this alone.

OP, to bring your thread back into focus, here are my suggestions:
    1. Set your goal to 1 lb per week.
    2. If you aren't using one already, get a food scale and start using as often as possible for all solid and semi-solid food - whole food, packaged food, fruit, grains, scanned or not. Everything.
    3. Make sure you are also logging beverages, condiments, nibbles, etc.
    4. Double check the database entries you are using. Many are user-entered and wrong. Don't use generic entries or recipe type entries (like stuffed shells) that you didn't create.
    5. Log accurately and consistently for 4 weeks and see if anything jumps out at you or if your weight starts to move.
    6. If you aren't losing weight you are eating too much, and most people start out underestimating how much they eat. When I started using a food scale, I discovered I was often eating 300-400 cals more than I thought!

Hang in there and good luck
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited July 2017
    I haven't had any notable difference in weight in a few weeks.

You should be looking for no more than about .5lbs a week with only 25lbs to lose.

Vespiquenn-just curious what your thoughts are on why half a pound per week and 25 pounds remaining go together? Why couldn't she strive for up to 2 pounds a week?

Not the quoted poster, but I will say that a 2 lb per week goal requires a 1000 cal deficit per day. Most women with only 25 lbs to lose (I don't think we can tell from the info we have whether this applies to the OP or not), simply don't have a high enough TDEE to have a 1000 cal deficit per day without eating a pathetic amount of calories. I would say at 25 lbs to go, a guy or a reasonably active woman could probably manage a lb per week. When I had 15 lbs to lose, my TDEE was @ 1800. I went with a goal of half-a-lb per week, because I was miserable eating at 1300 calories!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    "Calorie in, calorie out" and "eat less and move more" are antiquated approaches to weight loss and body conditioning. What you're eating and when you're eating it is very important? If you've got a 16-hour window for eating, you could be sabotaging your chances at additional weight loss.

Take a look at Dr. Jason Fung on Intermittent Fasting (IF) and the Diet Doctor, both on YouTube. Do you have any experience with the LCHF approach?

Also, I would take the muscle over fat any day. If what you have is truly muscle (definition in arms and legs), you should be burning calories big time. Something is amiss.

I hope this is helpful.
    Woo is not helpful,
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    mmapags wrote: »

OMG you are just wanting to argue. because others above also said the same thing I did above yet you are singling me out? please find someone else to argue with.
    Lol, that's exactly what he does. Today was your turn. The woo is strong with this one! :p

ahh ok.kinda noticed that in other threads.the ignore button was engaged on that one.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    edited July 2017
    If you're eating enough protein you will not lose muscle mass

Is this correct? I'm 6'1" and currently 250lbs and looking to get to 185lbs. If theory, could I lose 2lbs of fat per week and if I eat 200g plus of protein per day I can retain lean muscle mass all the way to 185lbs?

I suspect this is not going to be correct but I am no professional.

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    edited July 2017
    KevHex wrote: »
    If you're eating enough protein you will not lose muscle mass

Is this correct? I'm 6'1" and currently 250lbs and looking to get to 185lbs. If theory, could I lose 2lbs of fat per week and if I eat 200g plus of protein per day I can retain lean muscle mass all the way to 185lbs?

I suspect this is not going to be correct but I am no professional.

A huge oversimplification. On the other hand, you have 65 lbs to lose. You can afford to be aggressive for a short time. Adequate protein and strength training would be essential for preserving lean mass and keeping the focus on fat loss. If you can stand that level of restriction and remain compliant, you could do it for 25 or so lbs.

Also, a key to the process of getting to a healthy body weight and composition is learning the right habits so that you don't regain the fat.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member

OP is ~35lbs overweight, so we are still only talking a pound a week.

Why only a pound a week? Everyone is so convinced you have to drastically slow down your weight loss. If you're eating enough protein you will not lose muscle mass, if you don't change any muscle stimulus you've already been getting, while losing 1.5-2lbs a week until you get LEAN and then you can go down to 0.5-1.0lb per week when you're on your last 10-12 pounds of fat to get to essential fat/no subcutaneous fat, not when you're 35 pounds overweight

there's a cap on the amount of body fat you can lose in any given time frame. so even if OP has 50 pounds she 'could' lose, unless she's super focused on protein intake and serious about strength training she's going to lose lbm at a high rate along with fat. not ideal.