Swimming-great for exercise not so great for everything else

Options
Hey all,

I'm calling all veteran swimmers. I've been swimming 30 minutes 3-4 days a week in the little pool at my apartment complex. I'm really enjoying it as a form of exercise (I'm in Phoenix, so walking outside, even early morning/late night is out of the question in July) but it's wrecking my skin. It doesn't help that our general bath water is hard as well, but does anyone have any tips for keeping your skin from getting too dried out while you do it?

Also my bathing suit, is already starting to sag/bag in places as the elastic keeps breaking down. Any tips there? I'm trying not to have to buy a new one already as one of the main advantages to swimming for me is it's free.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hi there. I have fallen out of my swimming phase but I do want to get back to it.

My suggestions are:

1. When you shower, use cocoa butter gel and then a layer of cocoa butter lotion after showering. You need to build up your moisture layer every day, assuming you have normal skin and no actual allergy to the chlorine. Do this every day regardless of whether or not you swim. I normally don't use the gel but since you are having such extreme dryness, I would suggest using the gel after you shower, while your skin is still damp, to lock in the moisture.

2. You may also want to use a rich lotion sunscreen that really moisturizes well. I am using Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch SPF 50 but the drugstore generic comparable to something like that should work well too.

3. You want to get a good quality swimsuit that is made with Xtra Life Lycra. It's more chlorine resistant. Ironically, a suit that is almost pure polyester will also be resistant as well. You will find these at swim shops and perhaps some specialty lingerie shops and be prepared to pay around $80 -$100+ for the suit but it will last. A good suit like that ought to last you at least one year with that frequency of swimming. Rinse out with cool water after every swim.

4. Good moisturizing soaps/body wash and good clarifying shampoo for your hair if you're having hair issues. Right now I'm using Paul Mitchell Shampoo 3 but Redken has a really good clarifying shampoo, that one is supposed to be the best.

Good luck.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Can't help much with the skin, but here is what I do-
    I try to only shower with soap once a day, after the pool, if I am going to the pool frequently. The rest of the time I shower in water only- same for hair, but always put in some conditioner.

My go to skin care is aloe vera and/or coconut oil. (Hate that coconut oil is on trend it has tripled the price)
    I also exfoliate weekly.

For swimsuits I have ones that have lasted 8-9 years they are made for frequent wear swim training in pools. I have a very straight figure so don't need a bra or shaping and stick with the trainer/speedo style.
    Have a look at a few on line sites for ideas. I use swim2000.com.

The composition is 91% polyester/9% spandex. The lower the elastic component the longer it will last. It does make them tight fitting with little give.

I do have a number of regular bikinis that I wear for vacations and the beach. I wouldn't be seen out in the suits I use to train in, and wouldn't train in the suits I vacation in. B)

Cheers, h.
  • only6icecubes
    only6icecubes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The problem is more than likely the complex's pool. Apartment pools have high bather loads and they are not maintained in the best way. Most of them will add too much chlorine to help disinfect the water quicker. With the higher doses the Ph will be off as well. This is not the worse problem. I would be more worried if they weren't using enough chlorine.

If you want to swim, I would suggest finding a natatorium or a venue that is used/set up for swimming teams and clubs. These facilities are maintained by Certified Pool Operators and are monitored closely by the Health Department. They also use state of the art filtration systems and their chemical doses are on automated timers/systems vs the, "pool guy" throwing chlorine into the deep end. Plus the water temperature is perfect for swimming regardless of the temperature outside.

• bluestocking06
    bluestocking06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

For swimsuits I have ones that have lasted 8-9 years they are made for frequent wear swim training in pools. I have a very straight figure so don't need a bra or shaping and stick with the trainer/speedo style.

The composition is 91% polyester/9% spandex. The lower the elastic component the longer it will last. It does make them tight fitting with little give.

My biggest problem I think is trying to find a serious swimming in my size. I'm still in plus sized clothes and finding good workout stuff is a challenge in general, finding a bathing suit is kind of nightmare. Thanks for the tips, I'll check out that site
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I used to live in Las Vegas, so I feel you on the dry skin. Shower immediately after you get out of the pool and lotion up before your skin has a chance to dry. Use a cream or ointment anywhere you get really dry. Wear your sunscreen, a moisturizing kind can help.

I have a swimsuit made by Dolfin that has held up through ultra-chlorinated gym pool use and the daily washings I do now since switching to open water. It is different fabric than the fashion suits you get at department stores and is better cut for lap swimming as well. You should be able to find a quality suit in a sporting goods store. Mine was about $60 from Dick's. They are often sized by chest size, so be prepared with that info to get you close to what to try on.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    1. I use anti-chlorine body wash and shampoo afterwards. (Swimmer's Shampoo by Ion, TRISWIM Chlorine Removal Body Wash)
    2. I rinse my suit with an anti-chlorine rinse agent. (Summer Solutions - Suit Solutions)
    3. I don't put suit in the washing machine or dryer.
    4. After my first suit faded and disintegrated so fast, I bought a chlorine-proof suit (Tyr @ Big Five). More expensive, but worth it. Be sure it says 100% chlorine proof. Most suits are not, even those marketed for aqua fit classes. Some non-chlorine proof suits hold up better than others, but I don't know what the difference is.
    My first suit started fading and disintegrating within a few weeks of starting lap swimming. I've had the second one since March or so and have no problems so far.
    I got my body wash, shampoo and rinse agent on Amazon.
    You can get swim suits at Goodwill, in excellent condition. You may not find a chlorine proof one there, any might not be able to tell whether it is or not, but they have a wide range of sizes and are very inexpensive, so if you have to replace it often it's a lot cheaper!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    @jennybearlv my suits are Dolfin also. I get the Uglies because they are fun. One of them has snowmen all over that comes out for Jan-dec :).

Cheers, h.

• SundropEclipse
    SundropEclipse Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If you're swimming in a salt or chlorine pool, dryness is going to be a bit inevitable, but moisturizing afterwards should help. I've found either Vaseline's dry skin moisturizer and St Ive's avocado moisturizer are both very effective. As for the bathing suit, I couldn't say. The suit I bought three years ago has held up pretty well despite daily swimming in the river the last two summers, and I got it at Walmart.
  • jennybearlv
    Options

My biggest problem I think is trying to find a serious swimming in my size. I'm still in plus sized clothes and finding good workout stuff is a challenge in general, finding a bathing suit is kind of nightmare. Thanks for the tips, I'll check out that site

Dolfin Aquashape line. My suit is a size 20. I was in Scheel's today looking for a smaller suit and saw they had the conservative lap suit in plus sizes.

I used to shop Walmart or Old Navy for plus size workout gear. Their misses sizes start at XXL, so their sizes overlap for a while and you get double selection!
  • jennybearlv
    Options
    @jennybearlv my suits are Dolfin also. I get the Uglies because they are fun. One of them has snowmen all over that comes out for Jan-dec :).

Cheers, h.

I wish Uglies came in my size! I'm stuck in the boring old lady suits for now.
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Swimsuits for All has some great sales right now and has all sizes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    The problem is more than likely the complex's pool. Apartment pools have high bather loads and they are not maintained in the best way. Most of them will add too much chlorine to help disinfect the water quicker. With the higher doses the Ph will be off as well. This is not the worse problem. I would be more worried if they weren't using enough chlorine.

If you want to swim, I would suggest finding a natatorium or a venue that is used/set up for swimming teams and clubs. These facilities are maintained by Certified Pool Operators and are monitored closely by the Health Department. They also use state of the art filtration systems and their chemical doses are on automated timers/systems vs the, "pool guy" throwing chlorine into the deep end. Plus the water temperature is perfect for swimming regardless of the temperature outside.

Yes, I only swim in fresh water and don't have any of the issues in the OP.

OP - if you want to stick with your free pool, try some of the anti-chlorine products mentioned upthread.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

I have a Swim 365 bathing suit with a skirt similar to this and I love it. With mine I can cross the straps which is non-negotiable for me. Can't tell if this one does that.

http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing/Flattering-dot-print-swimdress.aspx?PfId=493183&DeptId=19822&ProductTypeId=1&prefine=Brand,1|Swim%20365,1&ppos=2&Splt=1&StyleNo=0595

54ad7cfe534049c81961fcf81c1d4847.png
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hey all,

I'm calling all veteran swimmers. I've been swimming 30 minutes 3-4 days a week in the little pool at my apartment complex. I'm really enjoying it as a form of exercise (I'm in Phoenix, so walking outside, even early morning/late night is out of the question in July) but it's wrecking my skin. It doesn't help that our general bath water is hard as well, but does anyone have any tips for keeping your skin from getting too dried out while you do it?

Also my bathing suit, is already starting to sag/bag in places as the elastic keeps breaking down. Any tips there? I'm trying not to have to buy a new one already as one of the main advantages to swimming for me is it's free.

Any thoughts?

I am in the pool 3 x a week for laps and water aerobics. My tips:

1) Get a chlorine resistant 100% polyester suit. Swim and Sweat is a good source online and has plus sizes. H2O is a great brand but not as easy to find.

2) Shower ASAP when out of the pool

3) Use a shower gel/body wash that is anti-itch. Curel, Aveeno and Eucerin have good ones. Dove has a sensitive skin one that works well too.
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have training suits that have lasted for several years with regular use and they are all 100% polyester. Tyr, speedo, arena, nike, and dolphin all make them, but tyr makes them in larger sizes. The do have more structured aquafit suits that run into size 20 and up, and are 100% polyester although not sure about the cups. Anything with Lycra will start to break down, and the more Lycra there is the faster it will break down. Polyester suits can cost more but will save you money in the long run. They don't sag or bag or fade if they are snug and fit you properly. A loose suit will break down faster.

As for your skin, just shower when you're done and use a good moisturizer after. I have to moisturize again in the evening before bed as well. My face needs moisturizing at least three times a day, because it gets the driest, and I always carry around a tube in my purse.

To protect your hair from chlorine damage make sure you thoroughly wet your hair (which ensures the hair absorbs regular water first) and then work a nice blob of conditioner in to seal the moisture in your hair before you put your cap on. This prevents colour loss/damage and dryness/frizzy hair. Silicone caps are best to prevent snags. Once you're finished swimming, shampoo your hair and use a good conditioner and then add a spray-on hair conditioner. You may want to invest in a chealating shampoo such as "Malibu Swimmers" to do a thorough chlorine removal about two or three times a week.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, and don't roll up your suit in a towel and leave it like that all day, especially in a hot car. I lay everything out or hang to dry. Yes, even in the back seat of my car. Also, as already mentioned, don't put your suit in the washing machine or dryer. Wash by hand in cool water. Also, don't use those swim suit spinner/ dryers at the pool. They are lovely, yes, but they will also shorten the life of your suit.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I spritz on a leave in conditioner before I put on my swim cap.
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Skipjack66 wrote: »

To protect your hair from chlorine damage make sure you thoroughly wet your hair (which ensures the hair absorbs regular water first) and then work a nice blob of conditioner in to seal the moisture in your hair before you put your cap on.

Interesting! I will try this today. I swim 3-4 times a week and my skin actually seems ok, but my hair isn't liking it.

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I think you'll enjoy your swimming more if you spring for a new suit. You deserve it! Check out www.swimsuitsforall.com. They have a 30% off sale now, and their size selection is great. You can also use their filter for "chlorine resistant" suits.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    OK so I know I'm in no position to speak intelligently about women's suits other than chlorine-resistant fabric. I have had great success with the Tyr Durafast line of products. They are 100% polyester and hold up really well, retaining their stretch and form for a long time. My fave online site for swim products is swimoutlet.com.

As an aside, the other recommendation I have is Aquasphere goggles. They are extremely comfortable, hold their seal well and are available in darker tints for outdoor swimming in sunny areas. Swimoutlet.com carries Aquashpere ladies goggles. They cost $15-$20, considerably more than goggles you can pick up at Walmart but they last a long time and are immeasurably better.