Comfort eating

Options
leasy1
leasy1 Posts: 172 Member
So when things get stressful or I get lonely I comfort eat. I don't necessarily reach for bad food, I just had a dish of fruit, it can be anything even when I am not hungry. I get lonely and that's the main time usually when my 17 month old is asleep and my partner is at work. I clean, I prepare the evening meal, I try to entertain myself. I was just wondering if there are any tips or advice.

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Do your nails,it is hard to eat with wet nails
    Distract yourself and keep hands busy
  • leasy1
    edited July 2017
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Do your nails,it is hard to eat with wet nails
    Distract yourself and keep hands busy

Ah yes, I always painted my nail but stopped. That's a good tip I will give it a go, thanks :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Knitting is wonderful for relieving stress and anxiety while keeping your mind occupied and your hands busy. :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Come here! There's always something educating or at least entertaining going on. Phone a friend works even better, but if no one's around, we are.
  • leasy1
    Options
    Knitting is wonderful for relieving stress and anxiety while keeping your mind occupied and your hands busy. :)

Oh my I attempted knitting when I was pregnant, I am still to get to the 4th row. I'm just terrible at it but I suppose practice makes perfect.
  • leasy1
    Options
    Come here! There's always something educating or at least entertaining going on. Phone a friend works even better, but if no one's around, we are.

My phone is like my best friend, I moved 2 hours away from my family to be with my partner so I do chat with them but not for long, they have thier own lives to get on with.
    I have been on here and joined in with a few silly things but people seem to be quiet cliquey I felt like I was intruding, like the new kid at school.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    leasy1 wrote: »

Oh my I attempted knitting when I was pregnant, I am still to get to the 4th row. I'm just terrible at it but I suppose practice makes perfect.

There are lots of videos online to help you you with the basics. And if you use a nice chunky yarn and big needles you'll have yourself a scarf or a baby blanket in no time. :)
  • leasy1
    Options

There are lots of videos online to help you you with the basics. And if you use a nice chunky yarn and big needles you'll have yourself a scarf or a baby blanket in no time. :)

I do like the idea of this. My partner is a builder, he could do with a scarf in the cold months, he might not want or like it but he will need one.
    I love nothing better than a home knitted blanket wrapped around a child, it's a great idea I can see this being a good distraction, thank you :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Are there any mothers groups in your area you could join?

Back to MFP, I find trading bits of fun with friends on our newsfeeds or in PMs more satisfying than the community section, but obviously I'm here too at times, so it has value for me. Just hang in there, I'm sure you'll feel more comfortable as time goes by.
  • snickerscharlie
    edited July 2017
    Options

I do like the idea of this. My partner is a builder, he could do with a scarf in the cold months, he might not want or like it but he will need one.
    I love nothing better than a home knitted blanket wrapped around a child, it's a great idea I can see this being a good distraction, thank you :)

For your first project, just keep it simple. Learning how to knit, purl, cast on and off and getting your stitches uniform is plenty at first.

Tip: Chunky yarn is a lot more 'forgiving' while you're learning than a finer yarn because it does a really good job of disguising the fact that all of your stitches won't be perfectly uniform.

Also, chunky yarn yields results very quickly, which will encourage you to keep going because it's like, "OMG! Look what I just made!" ;)
  • snickerscharlie
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Oh, and my favourite thing to do when I get the boredom munchies? I chew sugarfree gum. Keeps my mouth busy and has great flavour. The "5" Wintermint is my fav. :)

Edited to add: And if you chew gum while you're knitting, you'll have all your bases covered. ;)
  • leasy1
    Options
    Are there any mothers groups in your area you could join?

Back to MFP, I find trading bits of fun with friends on our newsfeeds or in PMs more satisfying than the community section, but obviously I'm here too at times, so it has value for me. Just hang in there, I'm sure you'll feel more comfortable as time goes by.

I have no idea, other than my partner i know no one here, only his friend and they don't have partners or children. It's a very quiet and lonely.

I will start getting more involved. I could do with something that challenges me mentally and physically
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I was not very good at knitting, finished one blanket, and it was all sideways. lol but I did learn how to crochet on Youtube and I really love it, Ive done quite a few blankets, some scarfs socks and some other stuff. Its faster than knitting, so that could be something you could try if interested!
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    Yes, learning to crochet is another good thing and easy-peasy!
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    When my daughter was young, I found that going to the local playground was a good way to meet other moms. :)
  • leasy1
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I used to crochet with my nan when I was smaller, I picked that up much more quick than knitting.

That's a good idea, there are a lot of playgrounds near where I live. I will go around a few and see what's happening and it's getting us out as well.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I like circular needles. It's easier on the wrists, IMO, and you're less likely to drop stitches. Other recommendations are good too: YouTube has a zillion videos; big needles and chunky yarn (check CraigsList / eBay for used lots;

Crochet is also a great idea.

Other things to consider are power walks with the stroller at shopping centers or malls (if there are any left near you) to burn calories; community center baby classes...
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

This was my suggestion also. Enjoy knitting and remember it doesn't have to be perfect and you will get better with time.
  • leasy1
    Options
    I think I have got stuck in a bit of a rut, I used to go everywhere with my mum, sister and friend now I don't have them I think I feel I can't do anything, that sounds so stupid I know but I have the best reason to get out and about with my son. There isn't any thing really near me only roads and I have to drive everywhere to get to somewhere nice. I lived in the country and there was so many lovely places to walk right on my doorstep so it is a massive change.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    This would be the time to work on you. No distractions, so try to get in some physical fitness. Doesn't have to be crazy. Suspension training is affordable and doesn't require crazy home equipment that takes up space in your home.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png